After much debate and discussion, I have decided to work on my own UO game. I'm going to recreate Ultima Online. But it will be a custom client/server. I have decided to write it in C# with XNA. I have already written my own frameworks for this project. I am currently writing this to see if anyone would be willing to donate art/music/sounds/creatures etc. Anything that I use will be given 100% credit and special ingame statues/deco or something once it is live and running. If anyone has any ideas or would like to follow this project you can send me a message on here or email me [email protected]

After much debate and discussion, I have decided to work on my own UO game. I'm going to recreate Ultima Online. But it will be a custom client/server. I have decided to write it in C# with XNA. I have already written my own frameworks for this project. I am currently writing this to see if anyone would be willing to donate art/music/sounds/creatures etc. Anything that I use will be given 100% credit and special ingame statues/deco or something once it is live and running. If anyone has any ideas or would like to follow this project you can send me a message on here or email me [email protected]
Why use a framework that is obsolete? Why not use Paradox3d or Unity, or something that is actually maintained, and can take advantage of the latest hardware? (Incase you didn't know XNA is built on DX9)

All that over head for a 2d game. Xna is simple. I have written an entire GUI system I use in my other games. I already have a client and server built. Already linked into the sql database pulling user/pass.

Also Ultima crowed still uses Windows xp most rigs handle uo and no other games.

Don't need wow style graphics and dx12 for a uo based game / remake

Fair enough, but just FYI, Xna has a larger overhead ;) Have you thought about contributing to UltimaXNA since its like 50+% complete?

UltimaXNA is still linked to EA. Using the art/anim etc. I am moving away from EA.

Attachments

• Serverlist.gif
    Serverlist.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 88
UltimaXNA is still linked to EA. Using the art/anim etc. I am moving away from EA.
Sure but thats a small portion of the code that could be swapped out. Using your own assets is small relative to the packet handling and game logic. Perhaps forking would save you some work is all im saying

The code is not the point of this thread. The point of this was to make people aware of the project and get donations of assets for the game, I can not do images. look at the server list its all simple stuff. If I need to go online and just grab tiles and models etc I will. I just figured I would post on here and see If anyone was interested.

SQL has nothing to do with the fact that the packets and logic are the same if you are making a UO client. Maybe I'm missing something. Are you starting from scratch and writing the entire game, using none of the existing logic? If so, good luck, thats quite the endevor and I wish you the best, but the fact of the matter is while UO is a relatively small game compared to other MMO's, it would still take 5 years for a small team of accomplished developers to recreate it, not to mention artists. I can give you this as perspective. PlayUO was created by krrios, an amazing developer, one of the fastest and smartest developers I've come to know. It took him roughly 5+ years to write PlayUO (without custom assests) on his own. Along side this he recruited the RunUO team, Mark, Zippy and ASayer to do the server code that became RunUO, this also took 5+ years to mature, and again no assets and all emulated code (predetermined game-play). While I believe a UO style recreate would be cool, I've seen this 15+ times while I've been with this community (myself included in that count) and each of those times the complexity and sheer amount of time required to complete the task was grossly under estimated. So, back to my point. It might be more feasible to modify a client that is currently usable and open source, while taking a server platform RunUO/ServUO that is tested and mature, and modify them both to your liking.

I really do not get your point. I was not looking to explain why I am doing things a certain way in this thread. It was supposed to be about asking people for any donations or links to some good assets that might be good for a UO clone. If people want to rant and rave about my project they can go on the site once its finished and post in the forums over there on why I shouldn't do something the way I have been developing it for a long time now. Your all for sticking to OSI/EA and that is cool. I appreciate all the hard work that everyone put into the UO community for all these years. I learned a hell of a lot and emulation communities are what have driven me to meet some awesome people and learn tons of things and actually go back to college and want to leave something in life that is all mine. Im comfortable with XNA for a 2D game with simple graphics.

Writing the entire thing from scratch is a long process and will take a long time. But at the end of the day when I want to open up a F2P game and make money off of it, No one is out there telling me what the hell I can do with my code. Plus if I want to open up multiple games off the same engine I have that ability. Eventually I will move from XNA, but the frameworks that I have spent the last year + working on is all c#. The client is at the point where it connect to the server logs in goes to server list and then next step is off to the Character Creation/character list. I have been playing around on a test client with a 2d character walking on the grass/water and have added one simple building to check for walking into walls/toggle god mode. I want to work on the character sheet next on the test client and get a robe attached so he is not naked and see how all that works out.
To make the character and walk around etc etc and add all the basetile system player and the rest has taken me a little over 2 weeks to get all that tested.

Just to add one more tid bit of information. I'm a 30 year old disabled vet, I have no job, I can not work. I sit at home everyday spend some time with the wife and kid and then I go back to coding because that is what keeps my mind off the pain and the project gives me something to do.

How cool would it be if in 10 years there is a Drilikath Online emulator... No there won't because I am just like Blizzard...... But no seriously I already factored into the Server List on hosting multiple servers. So if someone wants to buy a server and write custom scripts the possibility is there.

Plus what I have planned and in the works is Two servers one UO Clone, the other is going to be uo but in DnD. Going to use 3.5 rules I suppose. But thats where the custom client comes into play with just changing the UI to send the DnD UI vs UO UI.

Last edited:
I really do not get your point. I was not looking to explain why I am doing things a certain way in this thread. It was supposed to be about asking people for any donations or links to some good assets that might be good for a UO clone. If people want to rant and rave about my project they can go on the site once its finished and post in the forums over there on why I shouldn't do something the way I have been developing it for a long time now. Your all for sticking to OSI/EA and that is cool. I appreciate all the hard work that everyone put into the UO community for all these years. I learned a hell of a lot and emulation communities are what have driven me to meet some awesome people and learn tons of things and actually go back to college and want to leave something in life that is all mine. Im comfortable with XNA for a 2D game with simple graphics.

Writing the entire thing from scratch is a long process and will take a long time. But at the end of the day when I want to open up a F2P game and make money off of it, No one is out there telling me what the hell I can do with my code. Plus if I want to open up multiple games off the same engine I have that ability. Eventually I will move from XNA, but the frameworks that I have spent the last year + working on is all c#. The client is at the point where it connect to the server logs in goes to server list and then next step is off to the Character Creation/character list. I have been playing around on a test client with a 2d character walking on the grass/water and have added one simple building to check for walking into walls/toggle god mode. I want to work on the character sheet next on the test client and get a robe attached so he is not naked and see how all that works out.
To make the character and walk around etc etc and add all the basetile system player and the rest has taken me a little over 2 weeks to get all that tested.

Just to add one more tid bit of information. I'm a 30 year old disabled vet, I have no job, I can not work. I sit at home everyday spend some time with the wife and kid and then I go back to coding because that is what keeps my mind off the pain and the project gives me something to do.

How cool would it be if in 10 years there is a Drilikath Online emulator... No there won't because I am just like Blizzard...... But no seriously I already factored into the Server List on hosting multiple servers. So if someone wants to buy a server and write custom scripts the possibility is there.

Plus what I have planned and in the works is Two servers one UO Clone, the other is going to be uo but in DnD. Going to use 3.5 rules I suppose. But thats where the custom client comes into play with just changing the UI to send the DnD UI vs UO UI.
I'm not trying to stop you, i just questioned your platform, and wanted to make sure you understood the task at hand. I completely wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you make.

Back