Hello everyone,

lately I've been trying to replace the standard in-game music with custom mp3s... and had very little success in doing so.
I'm aware that the directory dealing with in-game music is Music/digital, and that Config.txt must cointain the right names for the files I wish to use, but no luck so far.
Searching around, I've stumbled on people either stating that simply replacing/renaming your old files should do the trick, and others talking about changing the file's bit rate/Hz so that is matches the ones of the file you wish to replace. Neither seem to work.

I'm obviously missing something here, I just don't know what it is. Has any of you had any luck replacing their mp3s with custom ones?

Thanks for your time. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a config.txt

Are your .mp3 files Bit Rates 64Kbits per second?

Last edited:
I have successfully replaced existing music, but what I replaced was stuff that was no longer used anywhere, not sure if that made a difference. The MP3 files must be the exact same bitrate as the original files. The UO client only processes that bitrate, anything else and either it won't work at all or you'll get shard crashes trying to use it. I have not however, patched the changes out to my players yet, it's only on my local test shard.

just use flstudios demo. i forgot how to do this so i looked up me post lul...

drag the music file to your music roll from window explorer and then save you will get the options in my above post just set them and it will work.

Last edited:
I did this long time ago. I put the dwarves singing from the hobbit in the game. I didn't know how to make a new list of songs with all new songs so I just renamed the dwarves song to one of the existing songs like stones. I used the music box to test it out. The bit rate thing became apparent when they seemed to be singing really deep and slow at 50% So I used windows sound recorder in XP to increase the speed by 50% and I just got lucky and it worked. But, the bitrate thing is a must for proper play. I do plan on tackling this again one day and having a all new songs, new song list, and a music box to reflect all the changes. Or maybe even a custom art record player or stereo for giggles.

Back