I just launched a shard and found that the anti-macro code is not the most popular feature of RunUO. I can understand the reasoning, though I also prefer players to not max out skills by macroing afk. While it is a bit of an inconvenience, I do feel that it is a bit of the process, and not just a mad rush to the top. This is part of the philosophy behind the shard at least.

At the same time, if it is just an annoyance, and no one wants it, I can't really justify leaving it in. Does anyone use the anti macro code? Does anyone like it?

When you look at the Ultima Online community and you see the amount of helper programs and downright cheat programs dating back almost as far as UO itself, you have to realize that players are largely not a "hardcore" bunch. It's true with lots of games, honestly. This is more about people than it is the game.

I'm actually with you - I like working for my gains and I feel that it makes the prize at the end of the struggle much more valuable. But we're in the extreme minority. I've been told as much very directly many times by people who have no issue with cheaply-gotten gains.

None of the most well populated servers have anti-macro code. Most of them, in fact, have super-easy mode for starting players and advanced players are ridiculous OP. I believe if you made a server with anti-macro code, it's a given that you'd have a small server pop.

When you look at the Ultima Online community and you see the amount of helper programs and downright cheat programs dating back almost as far as UO itself, you have to realize that players are largely not a "hardcore" bunch. It's true with lots of games, honestly. This is more about people than it is the game.

I'm actually with you - I like working for my gains and I feel that it makes the prize at the end of the struggle much more valuable. But we're in the extreme minority. I've been told as much very directly many times by people who have no issue with cheaply-gotten gains.

None of the most well populated servers have anti-macro code. Most of them, in fact, have super-easy mode for starting players and advanced players are ridiculous OP. I believe if you made a server with anti-macro code, it's a given that you'd have a small server pop.

I guess that is what I am trying to capture. This is not skill related, but I remember it taking forever to raise my strength enough to wear platemail, which I considered sort of a hallmark of my character. Grinding out those last few points took forever, but it was so much more rewarding. I have done away with rewards and young status, all of that. The skill gains are default RunUO. I am not really sure how this compares to the original UO. I suppose I feel that the reward is just playing. I am leaning toward turning them off. There are ways around it anyway.

Anti afk gathering should be enough and healthy for the server economy, who cares if every player master their skills :p

Sorry to necro, had the same question as poster above but it wasn't here. Found it anyway :
per SkillCheck.cs its in PlayerCaps.cfg.
_AntiMacroCode = Config.Get("PlayerCaps.EnableAntiMacro", false);
FYI its off by default apparently...

Back