Hi,

I made a map in Dragon using photoshop.

upload_2019-2-25_4-13-42.png

I know its primitive, but its a start. My question is: in regions where there is just supposed to be water, there are trees too. ?

Included in most versions of Dragon was an additional tool called DragonSP (Dragon Static Placement), this program was customizable via scripts, but basically analyzed the (compiled) map tiles and randomly placed trees, rocks, stumps etc based on the terrain type. These statics were saved in 2 files, statics0.mul and staidx0.mul.

If the only file you moved or published was the map0.mul that was generated by Dragon itself, then your client may still be using the original statics files for felucca or whatever map you are replacing. Another possibility is that the DragonSP scripts were changed to somehow add trees over water (southern bayou maybe?) but is less likely.

Included in most versions of Dragon was an additional tool called DragonSP (Dragon Static Placement), this program was customizable via scripts, but basically analyzed the (compiled) map tiles and randomly placed trees, rocks, stumps etc based on the terrain type. These statics were saved in 2 files, statics0.mul and staidx0.mul.

If the only file you moved or published was the map0.mul that was generated by Dragon itself, then your client may still be using the original statics files for felucca or whatever map you are replacing. Another possibility is that the DragonSP scripts were changed to somehow add trees over water (southern bayou maybe?) but is less likely.
How do I get it to use the new statics file? I am only using the map0.mul and the map 0 mul legacy file.

You will need to get the originals from your client data files. DragonSP will (optionally) erase the contents and repopulate them with statics based on your map and the scripts included with it. I believe for copyright reasons at the time, it wont create new files from scratch.

You then will need to distribute all 3 modified files to both server (datapath) and client

For Felucca:
map0.mul - Generated by Dragon
staidx0.mul - Generated by DragonSP
statics0.mul - Generated by DragonSP

Also, For converting to .UOP (only for the map itself, not statics) I use this: https://github.com/cbnolok/LegacyMULConverter-N but I have not had any luck getting Centred+ to read these files. So my plan is to do all of my editing in mul format for now, and will only convert when I am done.

Keep in mind, Dragon is a much older program, I love it to death and its still my map maker of choice, but it does has some limitations. It cannot make 3 way transitions for instance. The coast lines usually have some issues. It only supports map0, and only the Pre-ML width (there are ways around this). If you want to stick with Dragon, you will need to spend some time learning these quirks and fixing some things manually with a Program like CentrED+ after compiling it.

If you are just starting out with this project, you may want to look at some of the newer map generators that have come out since.

Any direction you choose, I strongly suggest keeping incremental copies of changes made to all 3 files, because you will make mistakes or change your mind on things several times.

Last edited:
1) What are some of the newer map generators?
2) I've tried using UOArchitect to work but there are no scrollbars in the editing mode.
2) How do you get CentrED+ to work.I've tried type 0x0008, 0x0010, 0x001C and it just says bad mul. The muls are copied
oover from a fresh client.I'm using map0. I did have it working before there wasn't any trees or houses or other things like that.

1) Well, 'New' being a relative term, UOLandscaper is more recent, supports more maps and sizes by simply editing an xml file. I think you will still need to do UOP file conversions after rendering the maps. A few years back, a fellow named Ravenal was working on a new one called Genesis 2, but it was released incomplete and not supported anymore, only place I can still find it is http://www.playuo.org/emu/index.php?threads/genesis-map-gen.820/

2) https://www.servuo.com/threads/uo-architect.1045/#post-13641 <-- try this and if it does not work for you, I will play with it when I get home and have it in front of me.

3) I leave my MULs unconverted, as I've personally not been able to UOPs to work in CentrED+. I keep my map in MUL format for editing and only convert to UOP when I need to see something ingame. You do have your tiledata and radarcol in the folder? There's some options for defragging statics and checking/removing invalid tile IDs in UOFiddler, have you tried using it with any of those options to "clean up" any inconsistencies in your map file that might be causing CentrED+ to not recognize the files?

EDIT: Most versions of Dragon will only make a 6144x4096 Felucca map. make sure to put the right block size (divide by 8, so 768x512)

Last edited:
be sure you did the indexed bmp right

indexed-bmp-gif.12815

Back