Hi everyone. Right now I have a copy of ServUO on my desktop, edited with all of my old custom shard stuff, and want to start merging new updates. What would be the best way to go about that? All I've been doing is copy and pasting each file from the list of updates on GitHub and merging them to my copy of ServUO with WinMerge. I did some digging and saw that I can use something like Tortoise but when I make my ServUO copy a repo the structure of everything gets jumbled and then when I go to compare differences with the logs, it only compares to the last commit on GitHub and not my local files. Can someone provide some advice?

As soon as you have custom content you have to merge manually like you've been doing. Automated tools can replace older files with new ones but they can't take into account your edits.

If you familiarize yourself with git you can keep track and auto-merge a lot of it. It will even attempt to merge with files you have edited, IF possible. It is not always possible.

As Falkor pointed out you should still be managing these merges for when this happens.

When I add updates to Heritage, which is mostly stock ServUO but does have some custom edits and systems, I have a notepad list of all the .cs's I have changed along with // notes in any script I have edited. When it can't auto-merge updates we have made to ServUO due to customs on Heritage I have to go in and merge them by hand and I use VS/WinMerge just like you.

Good documentation and attention to detail will really help. If you aren't sure, ask!

If you familiarize yourself with git you can keep track and auto-merge a lot of it. It will even attempt to merge with files you have edited, IF possible. It is not always possible.

As Falkor pointed out you should still be managing these merges for when this happens.

When I add updates to Heritage, which is mostly stock ServUO but does have some custom edits and systems, I have a notepad list of all the .cs's I have changed along with // notes in any script I have edited. When it can't auto-merge updates we have made to ServUO due to customs on Heritage I have to go in and merge them by hand and I use VS/WinMerge just like you.

Good documentation and attention to detail will really help. If you aren't sure, ask!

If I just do SVN Checkout to a copy of my server, will that auto merge updates and alert me to any files I need to change manually? One of the last updates is a mountain of edits to the main files and that seems tricky.

Back