Can a ServUO server start an external executable?
I haven't done much more with ServUO than run a personal server. My C# skills are pretty bad but I am curious about this ability. I thought about writting a program to backup a server's data periodically. Running the backup program after a world save might be handy. Also, writing the program would go a long way to build my C# skills.

Thanks in advance. :)

It already has a backup solution built into the autosave process. It can be configured in AutoSave.cfg

##################################################
# Save Archives
# Zip the most recent saves to a backup location
##################################################

# Enable or disable the Save Archives feature
# Default: False
ArchivesEnabled=False

# Enable or disable background archiving
# When disabled, archiving will increase world save times
# Default: True
ArchivesAsync=True

# The age at which to prune old archives
# Any archives that are older than this age will be deleted
# Default: 30:00:00:00 (30 days)
ArchivesExpire=30:00:00:00

# Archives can be merged to save space
# New archives will overwrite old archives until the period elapses
# A period of Months would result in 12 archives per year,
# with each archive containing the last save of that month
# A period of Hours would result in 24 archives per day,
# with each archive containing the last save of that hour, etc
# Values: Months, Days, Hours, Minutes
# Default: Minutes
ArchivesMerging=Minutes

# The directory the archives will be saved in
# Leave blank to save in \Backups\Archived
# Default: [blank]
ArchivesPath=

yes you could but it might cause errors with the built in autosave, and in the end youd end up with what you already have.
Don't fix what's not broke :) Have a read of the Autosave.cs script.
Post automatically merged:

There is a lot of free c# courses online, some with a certificate that you can buy if you pass. That would benefit you a lot more than a autosave :)

Last edited:
Thank you for both tips. I don't know if my 61 year old brain has any more room to learn but I hope it does. :)

I would (and do) use a program like Cobian Backup (free) to schedule backups at whatever intervals you wish. It is highly configurable and it uses shadow copy which means no errors should it trigger at the same time as a worldsave.

Thanks Ozzer. I will take a look at that site. Most of my programming experience is with Pascal and languages with similar syntax. From the little experience I have with browsing, and slight mods to, C# code it differs a bit from Pascal. I definitely need some beginner schooling in C#.

Falkor, I will look at Cobian Backup. I was thinking of writing my own in C# just for the learning experience. I have written a general purpose backup utility in Pascal that allowed weekly or daily backups at a set time. I figured doing the same thing, but a little differently, in C# would give me a chance to learn the language.

Back