Just looking to get some opinions on a subject.
On all this talk and use of AI just wondering if the community thinks its actually helping or just making things lazy out there.
In my opinion I think it makes it kind of lazy and doesn't really help anyone, makes it more complicated for those trying to learn how to script and create a server they want. Now for more advanced code writers I can see it helping them and its a great tool but for the most part and I would say about 60%-70% of the community aren't in the advanced range of coders including myself I know enough just to get by. I find myself talking with people scratching my head trying to even comprehend some of the technical code talk lol. I know the functions just not the terms lol.
In general something created by AI is hard for someone who isn't familiar with technical terms since most can't name functions to make the AI complete the function but know what the code should look like. For instance:
if ( gp.KnowDrowic == true ) This whole line I know what each part does I just don't know what its technical terms are. I know what it does, but I couldn't tell you the mumbo jumbo lingo is lol.
What's your Opinion on AI?

I use AI to help me when I am stuck. If it works, I compare my original with the changes AI gave me and use it to try and learn from. I think it is helpful in that aspect but I don't use it to try and script something from scratch.

IMO, AI is just another tool, like any tool, the more you use it, the better you are with it! It definitely has replaced Stack Overflow for me, it is faster to get an answer to my question, not always right but it still helps as working out problems can lead to some of the best learnt lessons!

Last edited:
It's helpful but not always right. It spits out info but (obviously) has no self awareness or self correction and will tell you 2 + 2 = 5 until you point out that's wrong

Maybe the paid versions are better since checking itself requires more compute cycles?

However, there are legitimate books being sold now about learning Python with AI assistance

EDIT:
I use it, to be completely honest, but very limited and more as a wall to bounce ideas off of.

Or in the case of Bing Copilot, which has internet access, I use it as kind of an aggregate device. No more sifting through filler and ads on blogs for recipes or information

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_183400_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240411_183400_Chrome.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 13
My experience with AI is similar to what others are saying. I use it to troubleshoot and I ask it questions. In my opinion, it's not good enough to do too much on it's own, and I don't find it to be very creative, so it's really more of an assistant/precision tool, rather than a wish-granting genie.

It should also be noted that big companies looking to take on AI for chatbot, etc, are also behind trying to give AI "personhood".
Meaning that when it makes a mistake/hallucinates an answer, then the company isn't liable because it's a "employee error" instead of a "system error"

I think you are entirely wrong about this. AI took me from RPG Maker to C#, I would never have been able to start scripting RunUO content without the AI. But it has taught me a lot about programming, so I can now do a lot on my own. The code written by the AI is extremely readable, and it comments everything.
It's helpful but not always right. It spits out info but (obviously) has no self awareness or self correction and will tell you 2 + 2 = 5 until you point out that's wrong

Maybe the paid versions are better since checking itself requires more compute cycles?

However, there are legitimate books being sold now about learning Python with AI assistance

EDIT:
I use it, to be completely honest, but very limited and more as a wall to bounce ideas off of.

Or in the case of Bing Copilot, which has internet access, I use it as kind of an aggregate device. No more sifting through filler and ads on blogs for recipes or information
The paid versions are night and day compared to the free ones for writing code

I use it as a quick typist. I can write a short paragraph describing exactly what I want, it spits it out fairly quick. Then I debug it. It may take a bit longer sometimes but saves my fingers a lot of work. It is also good for bouncing ideas off of, and If you have something more complex you can write the main sections and have it make things to go with it, and get ideas for improvements.

I think it works good for troubleshooting and minor scripts but the more complex ideas you have the more confused the ai seems to get

All the feedback is great. the one thing I would like to say and highlight is No one is Right or Wrong opinions are personal perspectives and can not be right or wrong.
All being said I am just leery when it comes to AI generated projects since some of it may contain code I am not familiar with. Being from the older generation and doing things the hard way of trial and error which takes way more time and is prolly way more inefficient is the way I learned but is the way I am used to and is just easier for me to learn that way. So like I said my way won't be the same for others just like hear others opinions and perspectives, can also learn from those :).
Maybe some links to some script writing AI tools could be posted in the 3rd party resource section would be a good idea for those interested in learning more about it. So it wouldn't be as scary lol

Last edited:
Maybe some links to some script writing AI tools could be posted in the 3rd party resource section would be a good idea for those interested in learning more about it. So it wouldn't be as scary lol
I agree with Vert-I-Go. I am curious to see what AI programs are being used or preferred for scripting, ideas, or even tutorials as well. I'm old school when it comes to scripts and I am still a self taught novice with C#. I see a lot of use with AI these days, but I know nothing of how to use it. I would at least like to learn the basics.

I'd say to get started, just start playing around with it, get a feel for how to structure your questions! I found through years of playing with it now, you'll get the best responses when you are specific with your questions than just asking it to do something! ie: Create a quest for my game (Bad) vs Create a method that takes in a string and returns the string capitalized (Good)! It is also great for just asking general questions, like what is the benefits of using Interfaces, or what is dependency injection! You can also post the code and ask questions about it, it is great for reading complex methods to see what is going on and commenting on it!

I recommend https://chat.openai.com/ ChatGPT 3.5 - Free & what Copilot is basically with MS added restrictions! Once you get use to it and want more, the upgrade is only 20/mo and worth it as you can upload files/search web and use ChatGPT 4.0 and Dalle! Also, bottom left on your profile, you can customize the AI with your info you want it to know, it helps with narrowing the AI to your needs, which is for free account too!

Back