Been kicking around UO on and off since 97, but just started messing around with running my own sandbox with SERVUO. I got everything to work so that was a great start!

Greetings. Long time Emulator runner here one of the best things about emulators is that you can DO almost ANYTHING! You want to make a Dungeons & Dragons type game play DONE. You want to make a World of Warcraft gameplay Done. The sky is the limit well kind of client exceptions excluded! Its all about learning how scripting works and systems work. After 20+ years I'm still learning and enjoying it even if I don't run a huge public server I just enjoy making things work just to see if i can figure it out. Client animations, Art, Gumps, all those are also part of the modifications you can do to completely change the game to what you like. So go fourth create ask questions and have fun with it. I even found that as a hobby it helped me with my professional life also learning C# helped me understand other programs like Sharepoint, InfoPath and many others.

Greetings. Long time Emulator runner here one of the best things about emulators is that you can DO almost ANYTHING! You want to make a Dungeons & Dragons type game play DONE. You want to make a World of Warcraft gameplay Done. The sky is the limit well kind of client exceptions excluded! Its all about learning how scripting works and systems work. After 20+ years I'm still learning and enjoying it even if I don't run a huge public server I just enjoy making things work just to see if i can figure it out. Client animations, Art, Gumps, all those are also part of the modifications you can do to completely change the game to what you like. So go fourth create ask questions and have fun with it. I even found that as a hobby it helped me with my professional life also learning C# helped me understand other programs like Sharepoint, InfoPath and many others.
If you were me how would you get started? Assume I know nothing at all and I want to make a shard for close family and friends

If you were me how would you get started? Assume I know nothing at all and I want to make a shard for close family and friends
1. I would start with just going through the steps to create the world first. Family and friends can log in and play the standard version.
2. While they are playing, you can start playing with the different admin commands.
3. Start looking at the basic mobiles, armor, and weapon scripts. Read them and see how the language reads.
4. Make a copy of one, and adjust things like stats and what not and make it how you want it.
5. Make a Custom Scripts folder inside the Scripts folder and add it there and restart the server.
6. If the server compiles, log in use the command [add or {addtopack and the name [addtopack SwordofMight or whatever you named it and check it out.
7. If there server does not compile, look at the errors and see if you can fix it. If not post it on here in the support section and let other lead you on the way to fixing it. Once it is removed or fixed, your server will compile and people can log in and play. No harm no foul!

Back