I've been viewing the forums for about a week now, on and off... Ultima Online had been a passion of mine for a little over a decade and lately that passion has been rekindling. I don't know if I'll be back full throttle with the community, but I do have some great ideas based off Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 I will be trying to implement into an eventual server. See, I've always preferred the top-down isometric tile-based games to that of an FPS; I have never really been that good with FPS games due to headaches caused by eye strain. With that said, while I was playing Fallout 76 I realized that I can implement pretty much everything they have to offer its playerbase (basically cloning the game if I want to) using the Ultima Online game and ServUO/ RunUO (versions 1.0 - 2.7) server engines with ease. I say almost because I am not sure if I can implement the Atom Shop yet; which is basically an in-game online store for people to purchase items with Atoms (a currency) they earn while completing challenges in the game. The best part of it though is that the creatures wont be hard to convert over as Ultima Online has many similar creatures I can modify.

I've run similar ideas in the past and no one really was interested due to it not being Ultima Online, but rather a completely different game in the end; using the UO client as the foundation. This would basically be a 1997 version of Fallout 76 or Fallout 4; the difference being that our server will be more stable than the official Fallout 76 servers… ROFLOL. I don't expect the playerbase to be substantial in todays game industry as most kids prefer FPS to top-down isometric (MMO)RP gaming. If anyone is interested this will be for passion, a love for the game and Ultima Online. It won't score you brownie points and you won't be getting paid running it as a server unless I can somehow get an Atom Shop up and running. Instead this server has been drawn up and refined for the past six years. I have a book (literally) of ideas based off the Fallout series and plan on implementing them depending on if we agree or not on the subsystems to be added. While I will code some and consult, I am hoping that I can generate enough interest in this that I wont be the only developer :) I am very excited about it, but I need a few skill sets to help along the way; … and yes some of you will be paid (negotiable - keep it reasonable) if I can't get enough volunteers.
This project is going to need the following people:

• 2 isometric graphic artist who can piece together pixels using Ultima Online's 1:1 isometric ratio
    • one person needs to be able to modify, create, and handle animation of both items and mobs
    • one person needs to be able to create still frame graphics of the Fallout universe
      • this includes broken up roads (one-way, double lane, 3 lane highways, and overpasses for each
      • it also includes being able to handle the everyday items in the game
      • a re-texture of all the terrain in the game, including grass, dirt, rocks, and the ability to create a post-apocalyptic look
      • broken down vehicles: cars, trucks, vertiberds, cargobots and satellites (that fell back to Earth)
      • new currency: caps and cap stashes
      • bobbleheads and magazine objects that give buffs to players for a duration
      • and so much more to discuss...
  • one or two more developers; really you can't have too many eyes on code. So anyone who wishes to help can.
    • I said some of you will get paid, but we will have a better atmosphere if you guys keep it reasonable
      • volunteers get first pick obviously as this is a hobby for me
    • Also the game will be more fun if we have more ideas floating around; one main thing is that we may need to develop more community editing tools in order to accomplish the goals we set. I will be asking that all editing tools be collectively free for every developer in the community.
  • I will be purchasing the premium ServUO subscription if I get dedicated and consistent interest in this project.
    • incentives to help will be your ability to fork the Fallout project and come up with your own version of the game as it will be open source like ServUO and RunUO - just with different stuff in it to fit the genre.
      • as well as compensation for some development.
  • Finally this is a develop as we go type thing. We will have benchmarks but the main portion of development will be on our own time and whenever we can. I for one have a family and so I will probably touch base with the team three days a week to lay out ideas, hear ideas, and vote on subsystems that people want to see. I am open to sharing ideas and voting for the best ones.
Well if you need to get in touch please leave me a message, I will be here on and off and still need to set up ServUO (shakes head)… yeah I've been stalling :)

Last edited:
Back