Hi everyone,

I am working on getting a UO free shard setup using ServUO and I am nearing the point of completion.

The question I have is about hosting.

Is it possible to host the application on a Windows 10 Pro machine? I think there are technical limitations on TCP connections allowed open at once but I am really not sure.

I guess my question is, what are my hosting options? Is it possible to setup on Linux and is there a guide for this? Or do I need to swap to Windows Server? Or is it somehow possible to run it on windows 10 pro?

Thanks in advance ~

So I ran some basic tests and managed to get 22 simultaneous users connected to the server, so I am really not even sure if I can't just run this on a Windows Pro Machine.

So then I did some more research on this topic and realized that these are not necessarily programmatical limitations on windows 10 home/pro, but EULA limitations, and I can't really understand if these limitations are for things like IIS / remote desktop or for any software I am running on the machine myself. I can see how this could apply to something like IIS or other windows server features but I have a hard time understanding if this would apply to a ServUO server, it seems like it shouldn't.

Does anyone have experience or understanding of how this works and would it be possible to just run the server on a Win 10 Pro machine?

Last edited:
i use nfoservers.com... 15-20$ a month for reasonable windows virtual machines... works like a charm, and your users might (likely) have better connections.

There's no reason you can't run a server on Windows 10. I plan to. Many shards ran on XP back in the day. There is a lot to be said for having physical access to the server. If I ever get to the point where my cable ISP can't handle the demands of my shard, well, that will be a great problem to have!

Windows licensing involves users logging into the Windows interface. Like Grimoric said, a program that operates as a server is not subject to their licensing. And I hope nobody uses IIS to host these days!

Thanks for all this feedback guys, I was just worried I was overlooking some major technical shortcoming but I guess everything is just fine, now if I can figure out why my machine periodically chokes up and stalls for a second randomly I should be all set on the server front of things.

Don't forget to install something to prevent Windows from updating whenever it feels like it. I use this from NoVirusThanks -- disable updates and then enable them whenever you want to install updates on your own schedule.

Back