Hosting On Windows

singularity

Citizen
May 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am working on getting a UO free shard setup using ServUO and I am nearing the point of completion.

The question I have is about hosting.

Is it possible to host the application on a Windows 10 Pro machine? I think there are technical limitations on TCP connections allowed open at once but I am really not sure.

I guess my question is, what are my hosting options? Is it possible to setup on Linux and is there a guide for this? Or do I need to swap to Windows Server? Or is it somehow possible to run it on windows 10 pro?

Thanks in advance ~

singularity

Citizen
May 3, 2020
So I ran some basic tests and managed to get 22 simultaneous users connected to the server, so I am really not even sure if I can't just run this on a Windows Pro Machine.

So then I did some more research on this topic and realized that these are not necessarily programmatical limitations on windows 10 home/pro, but EULA limitations, and I can't really understand if these limitations are for things like IIS / remote desktop or for any software I am running on the machine myself. I can see how this could apply to something like IIS or other windows server features but I have a hard time understanding if this would apply to a ServUO server, it seems like it shouldn't.

Does anyone have experience or understanding of how this works and would it be possible to just run the server on a Win 10 Pro machine?

Grimoric

Squire
Mar 21, 2015
Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
Sep 7, 2019
i use nfoservers.com... 15-20$ a month for reasonable windows virtual machines... works like a charm, and your users might (likely) have better connections.

Falkor

Squire
Apr 11, 2018
wpshard.com
Shard Name
Whispering Pines
There's no reason you can't run a server on Windows 10. I plan to. Many shards ran on XP back in the day. There is a lot to be said for having physical access to the server. If I ever get to the point where my cable ISP can't handle the demands of my shard, well, that will be a great problem to have!

Windows licensing involves users logging into the Windows interface. Like Grimoric said, a program that operates as a server is not subject to their licensing. And I hope nobody uses IIS to host these days!

singularity

Citizen
May 3, 2020
Thanks for all this feedback guys, I was just worried I was overlooking some major technical shortcoming but I guess everything is just fine, now if I can figure out why my machine periodically chokes up and stalls for a second randomly I should be all set on the server front of things.

Falkor

Squire
Apr 11, 2018
wpshard.com
Shard Name
Whispering Pines
Don't forget to install something to prevent Windows from updating whenever it feels like it. I use this from NoVirusThanks -- disable updates and then enable them whenever you want to install updates on your own schedule.