Hello,
Just getting back into UO and i set up my servuo server on my home PC, but i also have a web server that i was wondering what all i would need to do to put it on there?? i have tried searching around, but everyone keeps talking about having using their home pc as the webserver.. if you have any links or info to share or point me in the right direction it would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Will

You message is quite vague, maybe explain more about your situation.

You have a home PC...but you also have a web server? Where is this web server? who hosts it? what services are available on this web server, other than the obvious web services? Do you have space limits? Does it run Windows applications?

On the surface, it seems like you can't do what you want because if I had hosting for a website (GoDaddy for example)...I would have access to a linux server with only PHP, MySQL, FTP, and web access to the system. Other than commonly used web application code, I can't load a Windows program (like RunUO) via FTP onto the web server and hope it run it. It doesn't work that way.

You message is quite vague, maybe explain more about your situation.

You have a home PC...but you also have a web server? Where is this web server? who hosts it? what services are available on this web server, other than the obvious web services? Do you have space limits? Does it run Windows applications?

On the surface, it seems like you can't do what you want because if I had hosting for a website (GoDaddy for example)...I would have access to a linux server with only PHP, MySQL, FTP, and web access to the system. Other than commonly used web application code, I can't load a Windows program (like RunUO) via FTP onto the web server and hope it run it. It doesn't work that way.

Hello,
I have a webhost through hostgator and if im understanding you correctly it wont work:( I currently have ServUO installed on my home PC, but i was interested in being able to put it on my webhost if possible just to make it easier for my friends to connect ect. If you need more info please let me know. I am still new to this and learning so i apologize:)

Then unless you are going to pay a hosting company the fund required to run a server for you, you are probably better off running it on a home PC and just paying the extra electric bill. This is the avenue I always took for the many years of UO emulation I participated in. Usually people that are hoping to get a huge population generally go for the hosting.

Then unless you are going to pay a hosting company the fund required to run a server for you, you are probably better off running it on a home PC and just paying the extra electric bill. This is the avenue I always took for the many years of UO emulation I participated in. Usually people that are hoping to get a huge population generally go for the hosting.

I do pay for a domain name and a host through hostgator. Unless I am misunderstanding you... as far as a server goes it's really just me playing. No more than 10 ppl total I would say. I plan on keeping it a private server. I dont plan on any big mods ect, mainly just edit some of the spawns to make some areas more manageable since it is just me.
I'm not trying to save money ect.. I just figured it I'm paying for it anyway if I could use it I would.

Often times hosting companies have very specific rules about what can be loaded on to what kind of server. Hostgator almost certainly has a few rules against putting a game service on a shared web host package. You should really read up on the various server types. Hostgator is also an EIG subsidiary, something you might want to read up on as well.

If it's just you and some friends, you'd be better off building a small dedicated server machine, hook it up to your network hardline, and set up a VPN using something like Hamachi. That will provide a reliable and relatively secure place to connect to the server from anywhere in the world. Although lag and stuff might be a problem, that's based on your pipe.

Often times hosting companies have very specific rules about what can be loaded on to what kind of server. Hostgator almost certainly has a few rules against putting a game service on a shared web host package. You should really read up on the various server types. Hostgator is also an EIG subsidiary, something you might want to read up on as well.

If it's just you and some friends, you'd be better off building a small dedicated server machine, hook it up to your network hardline, and set up a VPN using something like Hamachi. That will provide a reliable and relatively secure place to connect to the server from anywhere in the world. Although lag and stuff might be a problem, that's based on your pipe.
Ok, well just thought I would look into it since I'm paying for it anyway. Thanks for the input.

You'll end up paying for a webhost package and a VPS or DS as a matter of course. There are ways you can install a LAMP stack onto your dedicated server and host a site on the same box you host your game, but the savings are minimal and the skill/knowledge overhead is not.

Back