Okay so this is a strange thing that has been happening since we started our server. We recently moved our server to a dedicated server (just a few days ago) hoping that it would be resolved and it still seemed to happen.

So every once in a while, multiple players on the server seem to get bumped. We thought perhaps it was some firewall issue or an issue with our home modem, but since we moved and do not host server here anymore and its still happening i'm beginning to think otherwise. We even seem to be getting great pings. This issue has been happening since day 1, before we even made any edits to our client or customizing the server. It only ever seems to be some or most of the players, but its always 5-10 people at once getting booted off including myself. Nobody who was bumped off can seem to log back in, their clients crash every time they try.

I'm not strong on the networking end of things. I did notice we had this in networking error log today after it happened:

C#:
# 7/2/2019 9:37:01 PM
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.BeginReceive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at Server.Network.NetState.InternalBeginReceive() in C:\Users\britt\Desktop\Legends of Sosaria Server\Server\Network\NetState.cs:line 804
   at Server.Network.NetState.Start() in C:\Users\britt\Desktop\Legends of Sosaria Server\Server\Network\NetState.cs:line 789

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

If you're hosting with NFO, they've been hit by a ton of DDoS attacks lately, it's causing some of the major shards big headaches, too.

Since it's been happening since you started your shard, DDoS probably isn't the case, but it could be a factor on top of the issue.

That error states "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" which usually means the client connection was cut off, it's not a server-side thing. This error is actually common and not likely to be related to your main issue.

Make sure you don't have any areas in-game that would cause too much information to be sent.
Try to get a copy of the console's output next time it happens, too.

If you're running Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012, downgrade the host box to Windows 7 or Server 2008 respectively.

Thanks a bunch! We are running on windows server 2012 now. Not using NFO, we are using GameHosting.co. Will keep all of that in mind

I'm getting this too... started happening after I got a couple of people I assume were either high or insane. They trolled my server for a few days and then stopped playing. Got trolled again by a group of people who I ended up banning from discord. today is the first day I got the same error as Asteria. Prior to this I was just losing connection to the server (everyone was). Basically no connection to the server could be mayed (Made?) for up to one minute not even VNC basically completely cut off. In my case its a KVM.

A week or two ago I contacted the host asking if this was ddos protection but they didn't say for sure if it was or not. They just mentioned that the server is protected from ddos.

If you were prevented from accessing the server in any way then the DDoS protection likely would have kicked in, which would have been a "null route" action which basically sends all traffic bound for that network to a black hole.

Still having issues with this... my networking errors log is full of this

# 7/22/2019 6:52:31 AM
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Server.Network.NetState.InternalBeginReceive() in C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Legends of Sosaria Server\Server\Network\NetState.cs:line 804
at Server.Network.NetState.OnReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult) in C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Legends of Sosaria Server\Server\Network\NetState.cs:line 849

almost daily, sometimes every other day. sometimes we go 3 days.
all players get bumped off at once, sometimes a few stay online. nobody who got bumped off can log back in

i will say it's not happening any less since we started hosting it elsewhere than it did when we hosted it at home. i hoped that it was a networking issue on our part but that's obviously not the case

I found my network logs and I get that same error sometimes its a little different / more severe. I wonder if it would happen with a fresh install or servuo. Im curious if there is something I did that causes this. On the flip side the amount of hacking attempts going on out in the world is insane so ddos is likely the cause. Still it would be cool to see if a basic install would be any different.

I'm guessing not because like i said, 2 days into this server with a fresh install of servuo it was still happening. Thats why i have ruled out its anything we did on our end custom content wise. It was before we messed with anything in the server or the client, was just running the very basics. It's extremely frustrating though because we really don't know what to tell players other than.... sorry?

maybe find a host with superior ddos protection or something idk... With my server the servuo.exe is wide open for both in and out. not sure if there is an optimal firewall setting to use. How are your firewall settings? sry for the crap post... Idk i think Voxpire said that it might not be ddos since the error is pretty common.

no that error where people cant connect back to the server maybe it has something to do with the server getting bugged somehow. Did people used to get kicked before and not be able to reconnect before you modded the server? I haven't had this problem but did run into a pretty serious bug recently when you have over 1800 items in backpack the server pretty much freezes up for opening containers or using teleporters. also I couldnt shutdown or save the server. I know its kinda unrelated but something could be causing a bug to happen in the server since its requiring a restart.

yeah like i said, this has happened since day 1 of creating the server so i highly doubt its anything we did. the server stays up. but as soon as we restart everyone who had gotten bumped off can log back in without issues. until we restart, everytime they log in their client crashes. it actually crashes the client when it happens and the only thing i see in the console is everyone getting bumped off simultaneously.

Are you using the most current UO client? I only ask because I am using current ServUO as well and I have not encountered this issue with my own server.

Server is on a payed dedicated host.

Are you using the most current UO client? I only ask because I am using current ServUO as well and I have not encountered this issue with my own server.

Server is on a payed dedicated host.
Yeah. We are using EJ client. Have had this issue from day one, before we made any modifications. I'm wondering if we aren't just doing something wrong in setting things up. We had the issue hosting at home, then hoped that the issue would be resolved when we switched to using a VPS but it hasn't improved any. I think we are looking at getting some better help with hosting (having someone help us who knows the networking side of things) because as far as i can tell everything server wise is okay, server stays up the whole time, just a bunch of people getting bumped at once and can't log in and minus the few network errors, i have nothing to go on. all i see on the console is like 10-12 people getting bumped offline at once

Does your client say they are being kicked for inactivity?
Nope, just a string of the client, ip, disconnected w/the name, same thing as when they log out.... just everyone at once. But i have noticed the inactivity thing, what is that for? I've only actually seen that happen when im idling on the character page, doesn't seem to bump them otherwise unless i'm mistaken? I also thought the 'kick' thing was only if they're on an older version of the client to prevent patching issues.

I'm not sure if the issue has resolved itself for us because its so sporadic i haven't seen it happen in well over a week but i am hesitant to be like SOLVED it's working now. We had been conferring with the host company about the firewall settings and things in trying to get people coming in and out properly without issues, so that could maybe have been part of our issue but i guess at this point its wait and see if it happens again
Mostly frustrating on our end because we are also bumped off and a couple people seem to stay online when this happens, and we can't call a restart we just have to bump the remaining couple people offline without announcement so that we can get everyone else able to log back in

I just went into my firewall as I remembered struggling to figure out how to get it to allow connections. I had UDP TCP and another rule that's 3 rules on both inbound and outbound. All I needed was a TCP rule for inbound and outbound. I'm hoping this clears up the disconnects.

Yeah we had the same issue, our host helped us with the firewall stuff. We are still having issues albeit different one now. I'm seeing people bumped off, but now i'm getting the disconnecting due to inactivity and trying to figure out why that is happening now, that just started happening the last couple days and nothing has really changed on our end

I'm going to put this here in case anyone else runs into this issue.....

Our issue was resolved. It turned out to be too much in the chat history window. We had the history limit set to 200,we reproduced the issue by spamming the chat and once it hit too much in the window the client crashes started.

Well, I'm going to impliment this fix to mine because we're experiencing the same. (2 years late but thank you anyways for this)
FYI if your MOTD system has too many entries then it will cause ClassicUO to close/crash automatically when you log into the server.

EDIT: Any gump with too much text will do this

Back