We went on a three day coding binge, and created a super amazing UO Achievements system.

You've probably seen systems similar on Steam or on WoW, but we've written it in a way where each achievement supports it's own reward types, even pets, and have literally hooked it into every system in UO with very little core edits.

Anyways, after spending that much time on something, it's nice to at least share it with someone, since the server is not open yet.

You can see a preview of the gump at www.uounbound.com - first slide on the home page.

Now this is really nice and quite different from any thing I have seen in UO :) Hats off to you and Voxpire on your new achievement system which will be fun for those looking into a server with something really different to offer!

That is definitely a feat of strength in itself. Systems like this are great for all players but even more so for those who are the type who like to have everything in the game.

Ive actually been checking your website daily and noticed this the other day..

This does look amazing aswel as some of the other systems.

I'd love to be able to log in and take a sneak peek at some of your work does look like its going to be a amazing shard.

Kudos

Another cool thing about this system that you cannot tell from just the picture.

- Supports secret achievements that do not show in the list until you unlock them.

- The gump is completely streamlined with VitaNex core, meaning the status's update without even having to close and reopen the gump.

- The system supports world firsts, and will notify all other players when one is reached.

- These achievements mostly hook into events, so overrides can be used instead of modding core files for new achievements.

- If new achievements are added and server restarts, all players achievement profiles automatically grab new ones added, or take out ones deleted.

- They support difficulty ratings, and that's how they get sorted on the gump :)

Anywho, thanks for the feedback, feels good to be able to show off something you work hard on :)

One thing I used to love about UO was where you could see the Characters Paperdoll on the website..

You could implement this system with a website database of the characters that list achivements that those players have earned..

Just a Thought..

That's entirely possible - I just have to finish my work on the PHP-UO-SDK that allows us to work with the new UOP file format - otherwise we'll be stuck using the old MUL files like every other shard that implements the paperdoll on their site.

There is an alternative though, generating the images in RunUO itself and serving up the data via an HTTP server-service listening for web-based requests, but that could put unnecessary overhead on the shard, especially if it has to deal with a lot of requests.

I've just finished work on a WebStats module for VNc which Tresdni is writing the web-based interface for.
The WebStats module is capable of outputting all the data in JSON format and includes server statistics, guilds, players ( with stats, skills and equipment ).
The JSON serializer is built-in to VNc, I had the option of using a 3rd party library, or even the native Globalization.Serialization.JsonSereializer, but those options don't fit my stadards of "plug and play" - so I just wrote my own for VNc :)

VNc already provides easy ways to create and manage MySQL databases and tables, so adding database support to anything is fairly straight-forward - but I do like the prospect of skipping the "middle-man" (database) all together.

Hopefully, I will be able to put all this research/knowledge into practise and create a fully-blown "armory" of sorts that will allow any shard to display anything on their site.
This will most likely be in the form of using my VNc website's Vita-Nex: CoreAPI - though there will be nothing stopping anyone else from writing their own API interface for the armory.

I know VNc is not standard in ServUO - and Insanity has suggested that we'd look into including it as standard, but there isn't really any way to make it "disabled by default" as he requests - because the features it adds (bar the Modules) are extensive, things like extension methods, mobiles, items and such can't be disabled. VNc doesn't come with any pre-installed modules though and it doesn't modify or interfere with anything just by being installed, it just gives you the power to write less, while doing more. Basically, VNc provides a framework for you to tap in to, to make your life easier - so technically, the entire project is idle until you start writing code to use its features.

Last edited:
Being able to watch and work with Tresdni and Voxpire on a daily basis is a thing to behold.

This achievement system is quite a feat, and offers us the ability to give players some real goals to work towards instead of just sitting around at the bank.

It looks like the project is either undergoing maintenance, or has been discontinued. Definitely a shame if its the latter.

Not discontinued, still in the works. Revamping some things on it though, and it's going much slower than we had planned because of r/l.

I'm glad to hear the project is still alive. I still greatly look forward to playing on your shard.

Slowly but surely Unbound will see the light of day. We are just taking our time and making sure everything is copacetic and fits the vision we have.

Back