Hello again, the server I am working (and being a pest about on the forums) is getting a TON of work put into it, but don't expect a release till late February it and yes dont worry ill start to post fixes and customs once I get bugs and a more stable server. The question I have is how far can I take advertising maybe not just for my server but maybe just servuo or ultima online in general. Im thinking posters, cards, etc things like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone here is a lawyer (not that I'm aware anyway), but here is what I think: I think doing posters, cards, mailings whether snail or e, any of that is fine. The moment you use the name "Ultima Online", any trademarked images/graphics, or anything related to the paid servers and whoever their parent company is this year on any ads like that, is when you "might" run into issues. I say might because I don't know. I'd personally avoid that entirely though.

I wasnt expecting a lawyer on here lol, but just some insight, so thank you for that! Might be better just to avoid that, just want to bring back the UO community!

EA have a track record for not giving a shit about their products and UO is no exception.
What I am trying to say is, EA probably don't care enough to come after you.
There is a guy out there inscribing UO artwork onto shot glasses and shipping them for like $3 each, he openly advertised on Reddit and everyone thought it was cool; he took a chance and nothing has been done against him for it. Besides, if EA do have an issue, they would warn you first and send a cease and desist notice before escalating to taking legal action.

I think about it this way. EA barely makes anything from UO anymore, it is a game that is barely worth their time. They pay some developers and make off with a small amount of money from it each year.

Why on earth would they want to waste the small amount of money they make from it, protecting a copyright they already make almost no money from? What do EA stand to gain by shutting down development/advertising of your server, or any server software emulators for UO? Your profits? What profits? It's just a cost to them with no business or financial sense.

Back