ServUO Version
Publish 57
Ultima Expansion
Endless Journey
Hello everyone!
Firstly, let me introduce myself. I began playing UO when I was 12 years old on a Spanish Sphere server that's still open but with only a few players online. I played with my high school friends. At the age of 14-15, I discovered how to create my own shard, so I decided to experiment with the RunUO emulator for fun. Despite facing numerous issues with IPs, ports, and connections (I was just 15 years old with no programming knowledge), I managed to play with the help of Hamachi, an external program that creates a virtual local network. My friends and I enjoyed RunUO, but we really missed the Sphere system because we were used to it, especially the absence of pre-cast spells. However, the RunUO emulator was more stable and user-friendly for being a Gamemaster, so we continued with it for a while.
After 14-15 years, life moved on, and to cut a long story short, most of us stopped playing. Occasionally, when we reminisce about playing and have some free time, like during holidays, we spend a few days playing either on the Sphere Server or on my own shard, as I keep a copy on a hard drive with our accounts.
A few years ago, I tried to access the RunUO website, only to discover that it had closed forever. However, I found ServUO, which seems to strive to keep the community alive. And thus, here we are: I've launched a new shard with ServUO, aiming to play with my friends again. However, I aim to achieve what I could in the past:
  • Firstly: To go online without relying on external programs (I've been researching and need to fix some internet-related issues), but that's not my main concern.
  • Secondly: My primary goal, because I genuinely love the Sphere spell system. I aim for no pre-casting in magery spells but retaining the other fascinating aspects that RunUO offers (such as bushido, ninjitsu, special weapon skills...).
For those unfamiliar with how the Spell Sphere works:
RunUO: Cast Spell (while being frozen) ➔ "Circle" for target appears and later, you click your target, and the spell applies instantly.
Sphere: "Circle" for the target appears ➔ Click the target ➔ There's a spell delay: meanwhile, you CAN move, but if your target is out of sight (behind a wall or a tree...) or you get damaged, the spell fizzles.
In the past and now, I've been scouring various posts from others who desire the same as me, but with no success. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a GitHub link of a server called Imagine Nation that is now closed. It had a RunUO very similar to Sphere (the spells, the vendor NPCs with no invulnerability, the commands, the menu...) but lacked other RunUO features (like Bushido, special moves...). I attempted to replace the spell scripts in my new shard, but obviously, it didn't work.
(Link to the post: https://www.servuo.com/threads/spell-t2a.9054/)
So, let me get straight to the point. Can anyone assist me in setting up a RunUO shard with the fantastic features of RunUO, yet incorporating the Sphere Spell system with NO pre-casting? (I would also appreciate other Sphere features like killable vendor NPCs, a melee weapon system, double-click to equip weapons... but my primary concern lies with the spells).
I still lack any programming knowledge or expertise in C#, but I'm eager to fulfill the childhood dream of reliving those good old school times with my friends.
Thank you in advance for your help. I'm very glad to see that the UO community is still thriving.

I suggest taking a look at Spells.cs and Spellhelper.cs
I doubt anyone will set up such a system for you unless you pay them, its basically reworking the whole casting/targetting/LOS system

Thank you. It's just in case someone has already achieved this and wouldn't mind sharing their solution. In the link of the other post I found a GitHub that leads to a Shard with the Sphere spell system working, but it has other RunUO features like bushido and ninjitsu disabled. Perhaps it might be easier to start with that and attempt to re-enable those features. (I've tried the shard, but encountered some issues; whenever I attempt to save the world, it crashes).

I think it would be much easier, in your example, to just look at that packages spell scripts and make those changes on your server.

i might be able to help you as I also hate precasting bs. im pretty sure you can run while casting in my server lol and with fast feet forget about it. but yeah just gotta find when the spell goes to target you need to put an if move target disapear type of thing i hope that helps

Thanks! I'm not sure if some changes are compatible with the new features of ServUO, but it will probably be easier to do it that way.

I started to work on this, but it is more complicated that I first though. If ever I get a working version I will let you know.

Sphere casting is also my preference...

This is on the list of optional features that will be implemented in ServUO 58; you will be able to toggle pre-casting on/off with one config setting...
I just can't predict when it will be completed as it is quite complex as previously mentioned.

Sphere casting is also my preference...

This is on the list of optional features that will be implemented in ServUO 58; you will be able to toggle pre-casting on/off with one config setting...
I just can't predict when it will be completed as it is quite complex as previously mentioned.
Great! It would also be great to have an option to turn on and off equipping items by double clicking

Back