I am adding and changing some of the MP3 files to the client Music folder. I already added/changed some previously, and included them in the custom client download for the shard, and want to include more as I am updating the map and will be including a new client download. Is there a limit to how many songs you can have in the music folder and config file? I do not want to go crazy with it, but a few extra slots would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Not that I'm aware of.
But if you start editing the MusicConfig file (or whatever it's called these days) then you might run into issues.

Thanks! I am actually using RunUO, and not the newest client. I am not sure the version, but it goes up to the Stygian Abyss. I actually replaced the original Config file with a remastered version of the original UO soundtrack, and further modified the Config file by adding a few tracks to it, though I did this by replacing unused track slots, rather than adding any new numbers to the config file. I have not had any issues so far. I suppose I can try it on a test server and see what happens
[doublepost=1522420128][/doublepost]As an update, I tried adding some additional MP3, putting them in the Config file after the 87 listed (88, 89, 90, etc), and adding them to various regions in Region.xml. For some reason they are not recognized and do not play when entering the region. I assume this is a client thing. They do work when I replace an existing track in the Config with that file name. This will reduce the amount of music I wanted to add, but still leaves 24 or so unused tracks I can replace. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
There is a few issues with adding new mp3s. One is mp3 formats. The client program seems to only recognize older mp3 formats. I discovered this while making custom music. At some point I upgraded my music maker to a newer one and uoclient stopped recognizing my music. Did a bunch of research and discover mp3 has a bunch of different formats. Some new and some old. I don't know which format uoclient recognizes but it was a total pain for my music project. Another issues is mp3 quality. To high of mp3 quality leads to the built in player messing up putting out garbled high pitched static and noise after a while. Using a really low grade mp3 solves this. I use acid pro 4.0 to render all my mp3s at 64kbps or 22050hz 16bit stereo. Rerendering mp3s can cause tone and tempo issues but acid pro lets you mess with that some too. Acid pro 4.0 is an old program and uses the old mp3 format. All the newer versions use newer mp3 formats. This is something that I wracked my brain on for several months when I had this issue so I hope this info is really helpful to you and anyone else who has these issues.

There is a few issues with adding new mp3s. One is mp3 formats. The client program seems to only recognize older mp3 formats. I discovered this while making custom music. At some point I upgraded my music maker to a newer one and uoclient stopped recognizing my music. Did a bunch of research and discover mp3 has a bunch of different formats. Some new and some old. I don't know which format uoclient recognizes but it was a total pain for my music project. Another issues is mp3 quality. To high of mp3 quality leads to the built in player messing up putting out garbled high pitched static and noise after a while. Using a really low grade mp3 solves this. I use acid pro 4.0 to render all my mp3s at 64kbps or 22050hz 16bit stereo. Rerendering mp3s can cause tone and tempo issues but acid pro lets you mess with that some too. Acid pro 4.0 is an old program and uses the old mp3 format. All the newer versions use newer mp3 formats. This is something that I wracked my brain on for several months when I had this issue so I hope this info is really helpful to you and anyone else who has these issues.

It is quite useful, thanks! I noticed much of this as well, though was uncertain the precise details. Thanks for clarifying. Much of the issue did arise when trying to combine MP3 from different sources. I did notice the high pitch, garbled issue on a few tracks, but did not know the cause Another issue I had was trying to merge MP3s with different speeds. My work around was to merge the tracks using a really basic program called Merge MP3 , then to use an online conversion site to convert them to .wav format and then back into MP3. This solved the issue, and also the high pitch issue. At least it works on my machine. I expect (hope) it will work for my players as well when I put the new client DL up. We will see. I would imagine some sound quality was lost, though I if so I did not notice, though I am not much of a music expert. It is good enough for me. I am going to download Acid Pro, however, and check it out. Thanks!

As a side note, I was able to find enough redundant and unused tracks in the config, and to combine enough tracks, to fit all of the music I wanted, and still have a few left...:).

Back