So we have been attempting to add custom weapon graphics onto our server. I was told but would like to verify this (in case we misunderstood) that weapon abilties are actually hardcoded into the graphics in the client. We are running on the lastest repo and latest client. We have some custom graphics in now, mostly decorative items and a few wearables. The weapons equip and look beautiful, however I can't get any weapon abilities onto them they are reading as if you are unarmed.

Any clarification on this is greatly appreciated :D myself and our staff had put a lot of effort into getting this stuff on the go, and it's a disappointing roadblock that we hit so just wondering if its something somewhat feasible or if we should give up on the dream, lol. Thanks :D

I think you can add what abilities you want to a weapon by scripting it into the code of the item that has the custom graphic. I'm sure I have seen it done like that but dont have referance on hand since I'm not at my pc.

When you add it into the code it still shows as disarm when you equip the weapon in game. It doesn't transfer to the weapon. I've tested this with existing items in game too, trying to override the weapon abilities does nothing. It seems to get the abilities from the actual itemID on the graphic

As I told you on discord a while back, yes, the itemid informs the weapon specials. You can replace existing weapons to get desired specials, or build a new weapon special system which allows for more customization.

Yeah, i think you had spoken with one of our staffers. Just wanted to get further clarification on it because i was getting info passed through the grapevine on it

Do the items with animations for races do the same thing out of curiosity? I noticed some of the items we have added in seem to only work on humans and others work on humans and elves, and we still can't seem to figure out how to add in stuff for gargoyles. I know very little on the graphic side of things. But basically am wondering if the item slots inform on race qualities too

First of all, it is necessary to explain for which client version you can edit and add your own graphics. If you are using the latest version of the client, you will not be able to do so. I recommend using the UO client to version 7.0.59. This will allow UO Fiddler to work with art and animation files. However, to insert a new-style new graphic that uses animation, you'll find a lot of ID position. therefore it is better to use an older version of the client.
Your question about gargoyles. There you will have a big problem adding your own graphics. You can use mythic package editor, but as I say, it will be very difficult.

Cool thanks. We are on the latest client as i had said in my original post. We have already added the graphics in, the issue really is with the weapon abilities

If you really want to add your graphics, go to the older version of Client UO.

Then remember to edit the items and .def files for equip. To see the animations.

Yeah, i was just trying to see if anyone knew if/how they were doable on the new client. We have something like 1500 custom graphics in the new client already. The amount of work to re-do would not be worth doing. And like i said, the weapons work just the abilities are not working. So i think we will just hold off and hope sometime in the future we figure something out with them.

This is an old problem, since weapon specials were introduced. There is, likely, no solution to directly dictate weapon specials for custom weapons in such a way as to homogenize them with existing weapons. Many coders more adept than you or I have tried. It's something hard coded into the client and tied to a discrete ItemID.

There's 9 axes, which are just redundant swords weapons. You can replace any 4 and do no damage to players who want to use an axe. They'll still have more options than a player who wants to use thrusting pole arms, dual wielded 2h weapons, etc. Shepard's Crook is a weapon no one uses, many of the small hammers are redundant/useless as well.

There are many cases that justify replacement, if you're going to take the time to go custom. You can also make peace with your custom weapons having two good abilities. If it's really vital to the experience of your shard, focus your energy on building a custom weapon special system. I believe there's one in the resources area you can examine. It's not terribly difficult conceptually.

You could do something like grouping weapons by type, and giving each type an array of abilities. Bashing weapons can do X, Y, and Z. While slashing weapons to A, B, C, etc. You could use the existing specials, and add more without being limited by the hard coded book. The blade cuts both ways on that one. If you were to solve this enigma and assign new specials to custom weapons, you'd still be limited by the hard coded gump.

I don't begruge your drive here. I've added about a dozen custom weapons, and ultimately went with the replacement route for about half. I think disarm and paralyze are actually mid to good abilities, especially if you have a moderate population of armed humanoid mobiles.

I thought about replacing. My concern with going that route is aren't a lot of weapons in bulk orders? Or are there some that we could potentially replace without disrupting the order of things? we are going the 'replacing' route with other things, like some spawn because we do want to have some customization. I am bummed that we didn't know all of the limitations going into things, but we also didn't know half of what we do now and weren't at the point of even thinking about adding in stuff like this. Thanks a bunch for the really good advice. Mainly the issue was that Rooster put in a ton of work adding in the graphics, my husband and I both put in a ton of work building a dungeon and conceptualizing these bosses, spawn, artifacts, a champ, a peerless, a peerless altar, had everything coded and this all functioning and looking beautiful and then realized that we can't use the beautiful weapons because they are essentially being unarmed. I wish we had known going into the amount of effort we put into it. And i worry about how much creativity and enjoyment our staff can get out of this if we are putting restrictions and stifling their creativity so to speak :D All around that applies though. And believe me, i'm no great coder. I've got like a year? experience now doing this, and i'm very limited so i had no expectations on some miracle on being able to do this. Just was hoping for some solid advice on what others have done/are doing as i haven't played on a whole lot of servers in recent years. Thanks though for your response, we will have to just work with what we can :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Try this: http://web.archive.org/web/20100813...nuo-2-0-rc1-customizable-weaponabilities.html

So far it works perfectly fine for me.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, the links are not there anymore.
There's an old discussion about it on this forum: https://www.servuo.com/threads/weapon-abilities-on-items-with-a-non-weapon-itemid.5557/#post-36535

zerodowned gathered the code you'll need to apply the whole system.

awesome, i will check this out! thanks!

Back