ServUO Version
Publish Unknown
Ultima Expansion
Stygian Abyss
Hey,

So, after many struggles, I finally got my Seahorse mount to work correctly....and got really educated on the dynamics and limitations of custom mounts, in general. (anyone wanting custom mounts and having difficulty getting it to work, send me a message and I can walk you through it).

HOWEVER, now I'm left with an odd sort of issue where I can mount and ride it just fine (apparently, the playermobile JUST needs canswim = true to move on water...I was led to believe they needed to also have cantwalk = true)....now my only problem is unmounting.
I'm just looking for suggestions on a good approach to this. If I doubleclick my mobile anywhere on water, I dismount and my seahorse swims away. (?!!!) But I can't really throw a target option in the playermobile doubleclick module? If anyone has already figured this out....that would be great.

Thanks!!

Depends on how a player is able to mount one, are they special, should a dock be needed to mount/dismount, all this can play into the system, if you are editing the files directly, you can do what ever you want in the OnDoubleClick method within reason, even send a target!

If going from sea to land be like a ethy mount but have it when double click it drops into a bowl of water in your pack lol I dunno sounds cool. Wonder if the animation is the WOW seahorse I did awhile ago.

That's the animation. I was thrilled when I came across it. UO really should have gone further with the seahorse, but whatever.

Yeah, mounting the seahorse isn't a problem (whether it be from an item in your pack or it being in the wild). It's easy changing the playermobile's location to where the mount is/will be. I'm currently debating if I should create an event which looks to see if the mobile is on the water and then pull up a gump which allows the player to "swim" (basically a series of teleports) until they can get to a surface they can walk on.

or maybe put up a gump to ask if they want to throw out a raft or life boat multi if they have in pack might be a good idea. or before mounting a seahorse have a requirement before mounting search pack and disallow mounting if dont have a docked boat in pack.

I would make it only possible to mount/dismount the seahorse from land or ship (i.e. the seahorse has to be within x tiles of a walkable surface.

If the player dies while on the seahorse, the player's remains "wash up" on shore (nearest shoreline, or pre-determined coordinates).

I would make it only possible to mount/dismount the seahorse from land or ship (i.e. the seahorse has to be within x tiles of a walkable surface.

If the player dies while on the seahorse, the player's remains "wash up" on shore (nearest shoreline, or pre-determined coordinates).
The issue with this is that unless the code has been modifed for the flag can swim. That flag uses water tiles for movement I mean you can modify it to allow land tiles but then you would have sea creatures walking up on land and im sure can work around stuff like that but an out of the box flag can swim is set for water tiles so mounting on boat or land the mount wouldnt be able to move. which is the issue with dismounting from the seahorse the players flag is set to false of can swim. Which is why i suggested if have a docked boat in pack then you can throw a boat down click on boat and away you go or do the wash up action as above. if the issue is how do i get a seahorse then mount it from a land or boat maybe have a special ability of the mount to teleport to a water tile maybe and once that mount is on a water tile the teleport ability can not be used then unless targeting a land tile to dismount.

Target + Range = Solution, no need to mount/dismount on the same tile, they can be offset and restricted by range!

What I mean is, the Sea Horse remains in the water, but has to be close enought to land for the player (who is on land) to double click it to mount it. Since the Sea Horse may rarely be that close to land (unless you program its AI to occasionally approach land) most players would probably need to follow one while on a ship to catch up to it and mount it.

Sort of like the old single-player Ultima games and ships. To get a ship, you'd wait for one to get close enough to land and then click it to board it.

(The ship method would even be kind of fun for players. They could search the oceans for the legendary Sea Horse and then capture one!)

If you make them tameable, the player could tame them from land/ship and then command them to come close enough to mount.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input!
Players would need to tame the seahorses....like other animals. That could be tricky and require a boat.

I'll have to go though my OnDeath events, but I think I currently have it set so when you die on water, you get sent to a specific location (eventually to become Davy Jones' Locker to be quested out of).

And I think I'll just have to go the GUMP route which pulls up when you double-click the playermobile if mounted on a seahorse. Then I'll just need to have it check if it's to a walkable surface or "You need to dismount to a boat or land".

I'm sure there's a bug waiting to happen in there...like unintentional dismounting.

Thanks for all the input!
Players would need to tame the seahorses....like other animals. That could be tricky and require a boat.

I'll have to go though my OnDeath events, but I think I currently have it set so when you die on water, you get sent to a specific location (eventually to become Davy Jones' Locker to be quested out of).

And I think I'll just have to go the GUMP route which pulls up when you double-click the playermobile if mounted on a seahorse. Then I'll just need to have it check if it's to a walkable surface or "You need to dismount to a boat or land".

I'm sure there's a bug waiting to happen in there...like unintentional dismounting.

Hope you'll consider posting this here when done! I need a seahorse too! :p

Back