First official question!

I'm playing around the server with a friend and he is hosting the server on his computer. So into the process of building the server, he created his owner account and so on.

First problem with someone who never touched UO properties and the game itself, he removed his permissions and he made his account at plevel 1(player). Now, since i got myself administrator plevel before he did this mistake, i cannot restore his plevel to either admin/owner(which makes sense).

Is there any way to manage accounts outside the game? I've looked into the server console and i don't seem to find anything related to that. Even with external programs. I remember back in the days, for Sphere there was Axis which was mainly a GM Tool, but powerful enough to play with the account files (which i can't find into the server's location). I generated the documentation from DocGen and i cannot find anything to fix this problem. The only way i can think of is, rebuilding ServUO and have it prompt the Owner account creation.

EDIT: Well, it seems i found a way to restore the plevel of my friend via the account xml file in the saves folder.

For further use, if useful to anyone, if you modify the access level of an account, the character keeps the access level of the previous save. Creating a new character gives the access level from the account xml file to the newly created character. I wonder if there is another way but still, it worked.

Last edited:
Glad you got it sorted out :) I think that if another char is created on the owners account it will auto be owner

If you had the issue of needing to create a second account for your friend to play on, but it would not let him due to ip restrictions, you can get around that. Just log in with an administrator account and use the [admin command. In the accounts menu, enter the name and password for the new account and click on the add button. This will create the account and allow anyone that knows the password to login.

Milva said:
Glad you got it sorted out :) I think that if another char is created on the owners account it will auto be owner

The problem we had was that the account got modified as a player access level, even on the account. We closed the server, modified the account xml file manually, restarted the server and created a new character with the access level of the account. We will need to delete his other character which kept the access level of the (i'm guessing here, no real proof) saved *character* in another file. Because even if you modified the account xml file, you couldn't use access level higher than the previous access level of that said character.(hope this made sense)

Norman Lancaster said:
If you had the issue of needing to create a second account for your friend to play on, but it would not let him due to ip restrictions, you can get around that. Just log in with an administrator account and use the [admin command. In the accounts menu, enter the name and password for the new account and click on the add button. This will create the account and allow anyone that knows the password to login.

The issue wasn't from making a new account. We can do this in-game with the account he made me before losing his privileges. The issue came that you cannot create an account and set it to an equal or higher access level than the user has on the other account. Ex; Admin can't promote an account to admin and higher, GM can't promote someone to GM and higher, and so on. The only access level able to do so, is the Owner.

There's a few ways you can go around accidently modifying an accesslevel.

First. As the owner, your account you create first is automatically given Ownership accesslevel. Even if you set your access to player on that character, you can delete it or create another char and you'll be owner again.

If you set your account to player on accident and the server saves. You can go into an earlier backup and reload the previous saved data before the change was made. If you aren't worried about your character saves, you can just delete the accounts.xml file and itll ask to create another account as the owner account.

Lastly, if you can't do any of those, (I believe) you can go inside Accounts.xml, and set the accesslevel in there as well using:
<accessLevel>Owner</accessLevel>
The server will obviously have to be off in order for this to work and you would have to save the script and reload, then create a new character on the account (as your saved character data would not have been changed)

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what we found out yesterday. So in the end, there ain't any 3rd Party Tools that could be used to manage accounts outside the game beside modifying manually such files.

I might just have to make one ;)

Back