Because Britannia is a torus, not a sphere, and if you keep building directly upwards in the wrong spot, you can hit the other side

Seriously, I believe its a clientside limitation.

The one thing I did in the past to get more height was make a custom map where the map was at -100 which left me 227 of height! Tram for example is at 0 so you have 127 up and down!

Basically how this works is the higher up you build the closer to the bottom you get. The problems you will run into building your map at a negative altitude (or depth) is that players can see what your saying at higher altitudes if they are in your location but at a positive location; if you've ever tried to make a basement directly under a house, then you know what I am talking about - players above can see what you type below and vice versa.

Conversely if you are talking about water... especially transparent water with sea floors, now you get a situation where you can "talk" type under water and players on passing ships can read what you are saying... lol.

I don't think this is client-side, but as Zavreyon mentioned, it could be. My ideology surrounding this stands to reason because the "globe" wrap-around for boats is done via the BaseBoat.cs; edit that file and you are done when modifying wrap-around points. So I think there might be a script that defines world elevation, but I do not know which one it is. Your other alternative, if it IS client-side is to use the ClassicUO client and modify it. That should extend your currently defined elevation points as you wish. The only clients this affects are the official ones.

In my own opinion, I believe using the official clients is a more logical way to go and just build things to scale using whatever depth you want as your facets defined surface point as GoldDraco13 pointed out, it will give you more height; just make basements and such in a different part of your map or on another facet entirely to simulate going into a private area. The official OLDER clients give an added advantage to this because you can use UltimaLive, by Praxiiz to add up to 249 additional worlds. What I have done with this is allow for each playable world to have 2 support worlds, one for mining and one for dungeons and basement type areas, and custom player housing interiors. I do not know if ClassicUO is compatible with UltimaLive, but I do know that UltimaLive stopped working after client 7.0.50.0 and Praxiiz never bothered to update it for unknown reasons.

I believe the reason was that He didn't want to do anything unlawful and as He read the Legal on the client, He came to the conclusion that UltimaLive was breaking them.

I don't think this is client-side, but as Zavreyon mentioned, it could be. My ideology surrounding this stands to reason because the "globe" wrap-around for boats is done via the BaseBoat.cs; edit that file and you are done when modifying wrap-around points. So I think there might be a script that defines world elevation, but I do not know which one it is.

The reason I say clientside, is because Z Location length for many of the packets is only 1 byte, so the Max would be 255. I've no doubt the server can either already or be modified to keep track beyond that limitation, the same way the server can store items on an internal map of which the client is unaware. But whether the client will render correctly, or even operate at all when exceeding that is more in question.

Packet Example showing Z Location:

Last edited:
"I believe the reason was that He didn't want to do anything unlawful and as He read the Legal on the client, He came to the conclusion that UltimaLive was breaking them."

@GoldDraco13: I've actually had in-depth discussions with Praxiiz about this as well and this is probably the most likely reason. Praxiiz works a sensitive job in real life which could very well be compromised by updating UltimaLive to its former glory; I make no judgements. I will say that UltimaLive doesn't break any laws we, as a community, haven't broken with this emulator and custom client clones. With that said, there is no reason someone else couldn't take up UltimaLive and update it to work with the latest clients if they really wanted to; doing so will require C++ knowledge however.

I agree, I was talking with Praxiiz up to about 2016 or 17, been a few years, but I wanted to get His permission before claiming his code and implementing it into UO Black Box in the near future! Not sure if you ever saw my UI created for UltimaLive? I've already made placeholders in UO Black Box for the commands =p

Back