The obligatory hello post.
I am a long time UO player, exclusively role play shards and over the years I have been involved in a few projects with varying success and joy. The upside of roleplaying shards though is there is a relatively healthy market for them, our last successful shard was pulling in between 40 - 20 players routinely.
So our idea is to give UO roleplay one last hoorah, using the exciting features that Servuo/Runuo offers to add some more conventional MMO touches such as instance events, goal orientated raids and more fun loot.
The challenge albeit a welcome one to me, is just about all I know about UO is based on POL which is comparing apples and oranges. So a forewarning pardon ridiculous questions.

On the topic of ridiculous questions, having read the getting started tutorial, it seems for testing and dev purposes there is no reason I cannot just install to my laptop? Anything change with installing to an OS over a server environment?
What game version will I need for compatibility with the latest repo? I think latest game I have around is ML.

Looking forward to the process
Lath

ServUO should still be compatible with ML-era clients. I've tried it myself about 30 days back. We mainly target the most up-to-date client, however. This is free to download here: http://uo.com/client-download/ . Just run the installer and it will install the UO patcher. Run the patcher and it will download the whole game for you. Then, instead of pressing the "Play" button, close the application.

And yes, ServUO runs just fine on a laptop. I have seen many server owners write about hosting their shard on an old Core 2 Duo computer with 2GB of RAM. Any modern laptop will run the server and several clients just fine. One note though: support for the Enhanced Client (the 3D one) is still experimental. Stick to the classic client for now.

Welcome aboard! Don't be shy to ask questions. I think you'll find this to be a very welcoming community.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I look forward to poking around and seeing how everything fits together.
I am a little old school anyway, so the 2d client would have been the plan anyway. There simply has never been a better sandbox created for collective story telling than UO. Not to mention it remains a fun game even after all these years :)

I will likely take a few days to poke around, break it, reinstall and rinse repeat until I run into things I don't understand. Thanks again for the information.

Much Obliged Norman, got myself up and running in no time and am having a blast testing a few scripts, editing and generally making a mess. Absolutely wondrous to use C# and a structure which makes basic sense at a glance.
I will be back with silly questions soon!

Just on my way to bed, thanks for everything people share here. The friendly pms and offers of help and just the sheer wealth of knowledge on the forums.
I have around 100 questions by now, but I am trying to absorb what I can and break everything before I start seeking solutions.

Back