I often reflect on memories of my time in Ultima Online. Experiences that are now long forgotten and completely undocumented. I thought it might be nice to have a thread where we share our memories of Ultima Online. You don't have to have been an alpha tester to post here. Tell me about things that happened during the past few years! I and many others here have missed these years.

So to get things started, here is the memories that sparked the thread.

Skill Gain
I remember when I first started playing about two months after public release, skill gain was handled very differently that it is today. Skills gained at a constant rate regardless of current level or difficulty of the skill check. What did matter was the total amount of skill points for that skill on the server. For, for example, herding was a relatively fast gaining skill because there were very few skill points per character average. Magery, on the other hand, was used by almost every character as it was the only way to travel large distances, cure poison (which was a death sentence back then, it didn't wear off), and the most effective way to heal. So magery gained very slowly. So slowly in fact that it took several weeks before the first characters had the 80.0 skill required to begin attempting to cast eighth-circle spells.

The Seven Circles of Magery
Another thing you might find strange is that there were no eighth-circle spells at release. You see, when an OSI production shard comes up, level 1-4 spells are available on vendors, but circles 5-8 are nowhere. The scrolls for these spells must be found as loot on monsters and added to spellbooks before they can be copied by scribes and made available as full spellbooks.

But at release, no monsters dropped eighth-circle spells. It is unclear if the development team had not implemented these spells yet, but whatever the case a publish released the eighth-circle of magic. As most of us know, these circle consists primarily of spells that summon high-level (for the time) enemies to fight by your side.

As mana regeneration was incredibly slow in that day, a common method for training magery skill was to cast these eighth-circle spells with little to no chance of success. It cost reagents but no mana to fizzle. The West Brit Bank (the popular hangout of that age) was full of folks casting summon spells. It was common to see water elementals walking around everywhere and daemons poking through the ceiling of the bank.

Sploit'n for Fun and for Profit
It wasn't long before a few folks figured out that if you kill your summoned elemental (even with the spell Dispel) the summon left a corpse, loot and all! At 90 magery summoning water elementals, you could turn about 100 gold worth of reagents into 150 gold of loot, plus reagents and minor magic items to boot. For about a week this was the only thing you saw anyone doing at WBB. After this week a new patch was put out to make summoned pets not leave a corpse upon death.

Finally, if anyone has a Wayback Machine link to Xena Dragon's old screenshot archive I would die for that. I am coming up empty.

I started in 97 and was amazed that we could play online with other people! Computers were magic. Of course I also quit in 97 because of the constant gangs of gankers. We started in Vesper and could not even get to the cemetery. As soon as you crossed the line out of the guard zone you were killed... repeatedly. I thought the game had so much potential but I did not expect proper behavior like Garriott did. We had no idea about logging out in an Inn (there was no kind of newbie help), so we would dump everything in the bank and sit under a bridge to log out. :)

I came back when LBR was released (2002?). That was when I heard of Trammel. My son and I played multiple accounts until 2008. Just got bored, finally. And all my Ianstorm friends moved to Siege....

One of my best memories was the Solen invasion.

My house was lucky enough to be next to a hive spot. Not a permanent one, but an invasion one. We had tons of people hiding out and healing in our house ha ha. I had vendors selling bandages and potions.

Down in the hive, doing the Ambitious Queen quest we were all standing in line, taking our turn (we all wanted our bags of sending!). Some smart ass shows up, jumps ahead of everyone calling us 'stupid Trammies' for taking turns... but I noticed he was not playing Fel. Anyway, as soon as he was hit by the acid he was begging for help. We all ignored him as he died. He came back a few times trying, but could not do it... he should have watched and seen that while we were in line we were also healing each other. He did not understand teamwork. After all the crap he gave us - he was mad no one would res him ha ha.

Another time (same house) we had it all set up to look like an orc fort. It was a small house in the woods between Vesper & Cove. I had vendors dressed as orcs, and lots of nice decor. It must have been good because a guy comes charging into the house and tried to attack my vendors ha ha... he was going to help us fight the orcs.

I will always remember the great fishing trips with the Great Lakes FCB (Fishing Council). I believe it was every Tuesday night?

My favorite era was 3D LBR right before Pub 16. That one made some wonky changes (although I did like the stat locks). ...then it started to get weird... :)

Tukaram, it sounds like you had a similar experience as I. When I first started in 97 my very first experience was spawning at the North-Side Inn in Britain. A man walks up to me and asks if I'm new. I tell him I am, and he says he can help. Says he'll give me some gold and equipment. I just need to follow him up the road a ways. So I follow him two screens north to the Brit cemetery and promptly get ganked for my newbie gold. But I showed him! I insta-resed, then used my newbie scroll of poison on him. That'll show him! :)

For those of you that didn't know, way back when you died a gump appeared and asked if you wanted to "play as a ghost", or "resurrect now with penalties". The second option allowed you to come back to life immediately but with I think 20% loss of every skill and stat. Needless to say this was an unpopular option. Fairly quickly a client option was introduced to "always play as ghost upon death", and then the whole system was removed later.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention when I was talking about skill gains that for the first while there was no skill cap. You could GM everything if you had the time. But under the very harsh skill gain conditions of the day even getting to 700 total wasn't very likely. They put the skill caps in later after the skill gain system was modified.

Back to our topic, I do feel things got very wonky during the LBR expansion. That was when Richard Garriot, AKA Lord British, left Origin and EA. I don't know how the cause-and-effect went, but EA took the game's in a decidedly non-Ultima direction with all the Todd McFarlane artwork for LBR. It felt very "flavor of the month". I did like the LBR client however. It was good for it's time was the only option for accessing Ilshenar for a long while. But in truth I just prefer the beautiful artwork of the classic client.

While we're on the topic, the narrative with Lord Blackthorn never made sense. Blackthorn isn't a villain. Even in Ultima 5 when his mind is twisted by the Shadowlords, the whole darn point is that he is an altruistic ruler who took the virtues one step too far. The idea was that he used the force of law to make people virtuous, but in forcing the actions of others you create chaos. In Ultima 5 Blackthorn didn't take over the kingdom or do anything evil, he was appointed temporary regent when LB went on an expedition to map the Underworld. I digress.

When AoS came out I felt like a dinosaur. I did not understand the new gameplay mechanics. In truth I had never really understood the old ones, but before AoS I could at least fling ebolt at everything until it died. When AoS came in it made me realize that there was so much content that just wasn't available to me because I didn't understand the game. I felt so alienated that I left. I think many of the folks that insist on pre-AoS mechanics had a similar experience.

But I did finally come back after the High Seas expansion came out, which again felt like a "flavor of the month" deal. SE and SA are pretty true to Ultima history. Many Ultima games have had some sort of Far East theme, and the later Ultima games were all about the Gargoyle race and their interactions with the citizens of Britannia. I dunno, I guess HS is pretty Ultima-y too. I think every Ultima game has featured pirates. It was kind of odd that UO didn't. And I think TOL fits as well. The concept of visiting different periods of history inside of a pocket universe is a running theme throughout the series.

So I'll stop my ramblings here, for now. Thanks for giving an ever-older man an ear :)

I cannot remember what year, but back when OSI was still in Austin, a few of us put together a meetup in Dallas, TX with the devs. I was friends with the guys putting it on, but was not really involved in the planning. I advertised it a lot on the old UOforums (when they had their own forums - like a real company should). We had players from 3 states away come for that. Sunsword, Fertbert, Hanse, I cannot remember the ladies name (Stargazer??)... I would have to get my autographed t-shirt out to see who else... It was a great time. When Sunsword was talking about his "wish list" of things he would like to do, but may never happen... he mentioned auto-looting of your own corpse. The room burst out in applause. I think he realized it was a popular idea ha ha

When i first stared, i royally had no ideas what i was doing.

I even got to jail, and i really don't know what a kid could do to end up in jail. (maybe attacking a vendor?)
Yet the only word i knew was "lol", and this is what i said to the staff member that jailed me.
Then my dad took my place.

Except that, i "started" playing for real on free shards, trying them one by one, one day i even connected on a random user account with my own criterials, unshrinked his weird wisp unicorn thing mount and i could not shrink back with my missing animal taming skill... Anyways...

During this era i was trying out every shards on uogateway, then i was mostly playing on gm shards (mainly Zerathul downfall, i was promoted to a seer, and then the server closed), my name was Parrot if anyone remembers that name :p
I then played on some dudes servers as a developer, basically because i was a really good builder.
Sad thing is he kept starting over so we ended up doing nothing.
So i started my own server around this moment.

Then decided i should cut some servers from my list, so i ended up with Hybrid as a main server.
On hybrid, all my characters were in the Amazons guild, it was fun time, we reached 20~ houses total, with good activity, then it started to decline and some GMs transfered some of our houses to a dude living close and causing us problems, we also lost interest to those bola-nightmare-haly-mages-with-explosion-potions-and-wands, so we slowly stopped playing and eventually end with one house (which is now demolished i think).

Basically, i was a retarded kid.
Atleast i learned english, developed my creativity, gained some moral, and learned coding.

In all i think i had a good experience in this game, even if i didn't really make much friends. c:

Back