I have ServUO On a computer I been running live for a while now, but the motherboard just failed on that PC. I got a new MB and I'm wanting to move it from that PC's hard drive, to a new hard drive on a fresh install of windows. So the question I got is, how can I do this and not loose all the player housing that exist in the server right now? What all needs to be copied from the one hard drive to the other? I've tried moving the server before and every time I do I end up loosing all player housing. Is there a correct procedure for doing this in the right order to get it to work right? Before the MB failed I was running the most recent UO patch.

A move should be possible, and should not be too much of a hassle. There are, however, a couple things to look for:

First, when you copy the directory, make sure you are "showing hidden files" in Windows, and copy the complete directory. It would be best if you could keep the path the same including the Drive letter. (e.g. from C:\ServUO\ to ==> C:\ServUO\)

Second, make sure the new computer has the same versions (plural) of .Net installed as the old one. I have noticed that the Server will not compile quite the same way if there are different .Net versions, so you could end up doing a wipe if it doesn't recognize something.

Third, make sure you go in to "Serverlist.cs" and update the IP or Name of your new machine, if necessary.

I had an issue about a year ago with RUNUO because I did not have the same .NET as well as a different installed directory and when I got in game there was tiles hidden that were conflicting and it was a big mess, just be careful of that and do as Lokai says.

Heres to hoping it works! :D I transplanted the old hard drive from the old pc to the new pc and reinstalled windows, so the same hard drive so paths should all stay the same. I'll have to remember to change the IP when I get it. Just really paranoid ive tried to do this twice now and both times ive lost all the player housing. This time around isntead of patches we used custom houses to build new towns, and gona loose a lot if it fails lol.

Don't forget to install the same .Net versions. Don't assume that because you have .Net 4.0 that you automatically have 2.5 and 3.0. Sometimes you have to install those separately.

I didn't really know what version of .Net 4 I had, but lucky Mine was up to date before the motherboard failed, and the computer wasn't down for more then a month, so everything worked out. I had forgot to get 2.5 and 3.0, which Im sure I had before, but again thankfully it worked out. Thanks guys!

The order I did it in was the same as you suggested (in case someone else has a similar issue)

1) Move UO folder to the exact same path, on the new computer's hard drive (mine was in Windows.old folder and moved it back into program files)

2) Re-downloaded UO client and installed, to get UO back into windows registry and help UORazor and UOsteam find it. (prob not needed but only took a split second to reinstall it)

3) Before running anything reinstalled .Net 4.x

4) Moved ServUO server folder to its exact same original spot (just to be sure)

5) Ran UO and everything works.

6) Copped EA Games folder from my documents from wondows.old to My documents in the new windows, to get my macros and such back for my characters

Last edited:
that won't work for me as I was having issues with it crashing on my windows 10, so I am trying to xfer it over to my windows 7

Back