The current implementation of the champion spawn system generates a gold shower that places up to 441 individual piles of gold. These piles are placed on every tile within a 12 tile radius from the champion when it dies. The amount of gold ranges from 500 to 1000, averaging about 330000 gold.

On OSI servers the champion spawn gold shower works differently. The mechanics above were in use for the first little while but I recall players complaining about the tedium of picking up all the gold piles. I recall a dev post regarding a change to the system whereby fewer piles of gold would drop, but their amount would increase to average out to about the same total amount of gold.

I have never completed a champion spawn on an OSI shard. However I saw a video of one today and it appeared that very few gold piles were actually generated (maybe 25 or so), although I could not tell the stack amounts.

Can anyone confirm the OSI behavior of the gold shower? Is it hundreds of small piles or dozens of large piles?

I maintain an osi account as well, but I am not very active. Verifying end game content can be tough for me. Also I've never been terribly good at this game :)

I'm still active with a guild, just might take a few hours to get people together for a spawn. Plus not getting raided :p

I finally found a reference to this as I was doing ML to SA gap analysis. It was in Publish 58, Update 1:

To reduce lag caused by the gold drops at champ spawns and the Harrower we are doing the follow:
  • Number of gold piles being spawned will be reduced
  • Quantity of gold per pile will be increased
  • Gold will be spread out more
  • Gold piles will stack on top of each other, rather than all be at the same elevation

Oh man, totally forgot about this, sorry. Here are screen shots from Siege...

Piles seem to be in the 1500-5000 range...

GoldBomb2.jpg GoldBomb.jpg

Back