My team to come up with a way to add jobs into the game. We're not super experienced in C# but might be able to work it out if we have a starting point.

Our profession system would be a way for players to make gold without grinding mobs. Basically it would be unrelatedor loosely related to skills. The professions would give specific bonuses. For example a player who takes a job as a guard will get a damage bonus against criminal flaged player. Do you have a novel way of adding this in? We want people to be able to switch up profession as they want, so we don't wanna put it in the creation phase.

Thanks in advance for any help!

My team to come up with a way to add jobs into the game. We're not super experienced in C# but might be able to work it out if we have a starting point.

Our profession system would be a way for players to make gold without grinding mobs. Basically it would be unrelatedor loosely related to skills. The professions would give specific bonuses. For example a player who takes a job as a guard will get a damage bonus against criminal flaged player. Do you have a novel way of adding this in? We want people to be able to switch up profession as they want, so we don't wanna put it in the creation phase.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I would start with a faction-type system, my two cents anyway. Professions would be factions (much like Thieves, Bakers, etc), then set up a faction bonus that handles the increase for a skill or whatever. Depending on how in-depth you want to go, you could start with something as easily managed as XmlFactions (part of the ServUO repo's Xmlspawner installation), or beyond that, and more complex with the stock ServUO factions, rewritten. :)

I would start with a faction-type system, my two cents anyway. Professions would be factions (much like Thieves, Bakers, etc), then set up a faction bonus that handles the increase for a skill or whatever. Depending on how in-depth you want to go, you could start with something as easily managed as XmlFactions (part of the ServUO repo's Xmlspawner installation), or beyond that, and more complex with the stock ServUO factions, rewritten. :)

That might be a good starting point. How customizable do you think this method can get? For example our Farmer profession would have ability to plant a variety of seeds, water/grow them and sell the resulting crops for gold. It's not just a bonus that guards can get.

That might be a good starting point. How customizable do you think this method can get? For example our Farmer profession would have ability to plant a variety of seeds, water/grow them and sell the resulting crops for gold. It's not just a bonus that guards can get.
Your only limits would be your imagination ;)
Probably look into Lokai's Skills, Tree Harvesting, Building Construction system:
https://www.servuo.com/threads/lokai-skills-tree-harvesting-building-construction.2196/
I used it years ago, and really enjoyed all the nuances it had to offer, but it wasn't 100% finished. There is a lot this system brings to the table, and incorporating a "faction-like" profession system would be the ideal way to go for sure. I don't know what he's up to these days, but he might even be interested in lending a hand with the incorporating. @Lokai

Trolling, as usual... :cool:

Too busy to do much more than read these things, unless inspiration strikes. You almost have me hooked here. I will think about it.

Well @Lokai now I gotta at least try to hook you in ;) hah

Right now we have 9 potential professions we want to implement into our shard. Below is a quick description of what we want to do with each. For those with more than one idea the prior one is more likely/possible and more important at least at first.

Farmer - 1: (like above) Ability to plant seeds, water/tend them and then sell the crops for gold.
2: Can rent specific farm housing with fields to plant crops

Harvester - Bonus to gathering resources (mining/lumber jacking)

Rancher - 1: Bonus to hide and meat collection.
2: Can rent specific ranch housing with penned in areas where cows/sheep/goats spawn

Guard - 1: Receives a damage bonus against criminally flagged players.
2: Create a system of auto-teleport option to bring the guard to the scene of the crime if the guard is in the city the crime takes place.

Shopkeeper - 1: Ability to set up vendors.
2: Manage NPC vendors in their houses adjusting prices as they wish

Caravan Master - 1: Able to purchase a pet "Caravan" like a strong pack animal.
2: Able to check city vendor prices on all items in real time

Merchant Marine - 1: Able to purchase a merchant boat that has a larger hold and stronger hull
2: Able to check city vendor prices on all items in real time

Adventurer - Access to a quest NPC for PvM quests

Sell sword - 1: Access to a "job board" system that Caravan masters and Merchant marines could post to looking for help protecting their goods during transport.

These 9 profession all play into the fact that we want to change how UO is played. These jobs will be where the majority of gold is earned on the shard. We want to implement a dynamic economy where the laws of supply and demand are in play. This is the basis for how the professions play into it. Heres an example:

If a city by a mountain has large stocks of ingots, due to harvester players (miners in this case) selling to NPC vendors, the price per ingot will be low, but across the map a city on a jungle island has very few ingots in stock the price will be high. A merchant marine player checks the prices and sees that buying in the mining town and selling in the island city would make for a big profit. The merchant marine buys a large stock of ingots and sends out a contract for local sell swords saying he will need their services and offers X amount of gold, 10% on taking contract and rest of gold on completion. The sell swords take contract and come to mining town to protect the ship from both NPC and Player pirates/bandits. Upon reaching the island city the merchant marine heads to the NPC vendor and sells his ingots for much more than he bought them.

Farmers and ranchers play a role as food will be important, putting a debuff in place to players who are starving/thirsty

Adventurers will be out PvMing, not for gold, but for specialized resources and rares that can be used by crafters to make exotic weapons/armor/items

Other changes we are discussing:

Players will rent housing in cities/towns as opposed to building their own, this will centralize people to local areas and creating a sense of community.

Towns will have faction like abilities where an elected official can place taxes and war other cities.

-Taxes will pay for guards (which will not be auto-whack, but will teleport to the area like normal NPC guard.) we want different tiers of NPC guards available to towns from weaker ones to nearly omnipotent guards.

- Taxes can also go to town growth (which wont be an implemented mechanic but will take place with devs, whereas a small town wants a blacksmith shop the dev will take a payment and resources (boards/wood/ingots) and build the building for them. Walls for protection from NPCs monster invasions will also be available for a price)

Magery will become a rare and very powerful skill to have. Training it will be a pain and regs will be expensive. We want the rare GM mage to be a god among men,

Lastly were trying to come up with ways that towns can have spheres of influence but were still brainstorming that.

Well I hope that this post piques your interest or anyone elses who would want to get involved and help make this a reality.

Last edited:
Magery will become a rare and very powerful skill to have. Training it will be a pain and regs will be expensive. We want the rare GM mage to be a god among men

I think this would be a step in the right direction. I have often come to the conclusion that magery is way overpowered, and for some systems, it would only work if mark and recall were completely disabled. How can you have economies of scale when a mage can instantly transport goods anywhere in the world?

How can you have economies of scale when a mage can instantly transport goods anywhere in the world

Exactly, on top of likely disabling travel spells, we need to make it so banks cannot be used to store resource items (wood/ore/ingots/stone) or a trader will just pack his bank and travel to another town to sell without risk of losing his tradeables.

Sure there is lots to still work on, but its starting to come together in theory. Its putting it into practice that has most of us still crawling along.

we need to make it so banks cannot be used to store resource items

I wrote something (still in development) called "Branch Banking". Basically you replace your bankers with Branch Bankers. They hold goods only for the region they are in. This prevents you from banking ingots in one town, and withdrawing them from another. And yes, cash is stored in a separate account. The reason it never came out of development is that it creates multiple bank boxes for players (or accounts - one option I have stores items based on accounts, just like a real bank, not just per player) and if they go to a new region and bank there for the first time, it has to create the new box on the fly. Honestly I do not remember why I stopped development. If I find it, I will put it here as is.

Here. This is provided with no guarantees or support. Haven't touched it in years.

Attachments

• Branch Banking.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 14
Did you ever get around to fleshing this out? does the basic functionality work?

Actually, let me clarify this a bit. I got this far from what I can remember:
  • Coins were held in a joint account. (This is now default behavior anyway.)
  • Branch Bankers were placed on spawners instead of Bankers.
  • Branch Bankers responded to new commands given.
  • It opened a new bankbox for each Region in which you "Bank".
Things that still needed work:
  • Stability and consistency of the bankbox.
  • Creation of unwanted invalid bankboxes.
  • Knowing what is meant by "Bankbox" in other stock scripts.
Other ideas I had regarding this:
  • Concept linked to perma-death shard settings (ie. No resurrections)
    • Player 1 (eg. John) dies - New character gets created (eg. John's Son - Johnson?)
    • Johnson takes over access to John's bank accounts, but loses all stat and skill gain (starts over.)
  • New type of service offered, at a cost, for transporting goods from one Branch Bank to another.

This type of thing would fit perfectly for what I’d like to do. I took a look at the scripts but couldn’t figure out how it’s going to create the separate boxes.

Back