So from my years of playing wow... I ponder the question... Does the Need vs Greed system have a place in Ultima Online? I started thinking about this as of late when I started making a boss encounter system for my server. Got bored other day and started make a base class for a boss and before I knew it, It was 3 hours pasted and I had the start of an encounter system that would check for wiping, enrage timers, and mechanics... Then I started to think? What if it had a Need Vs Greed gump on the loot items it dropped and each player that did enough damage to it would get this gump and rolls would happen? Then... regretfully my mind said... What if all items were need, greed, or pass...

So... Do you guys think this has a place in UO? Or do you think UOs loot system is fine the way it is?

RoninGT

Sorry for the story telling... I had a long day and I am relaxing with the help of Jim Beam :p

I can see this being helpful, however as with WoW, a lot of people would NEED all the time, so that means you're forced to include checks to see IF they actually NEED the item. Since UO doesn't have item levels, like WoW, that means you'd have to figure a way to determine if the item was better or worse than what the player had. You could go by simple magical weight, like Imbuing, but I think the problem ultimately arises that with UO, you can grab ANY gear and go fight ANY mobs. Now if a shard had specific player classes, where items were more class specific, other than mages can't wear plate, elves get to wear elven gear, etc., then I think this could easily have a place. Not that I'm trying to discourage you here, just pointing out some hurdles. :)

Yea I think this system implemented on all loot drops would be a bit over kill. I think a simple version for rare loot drops would work better.

I think something else to consider might be to have a group leader assign who gets the gear perhaps? It's going to be difficult to make it "fair" no matter how you go about it, as there will always be those players who want everything lol

I remember in WoW if people simply needed all the time we would booth them from the party. Not sure that would work on this game simply because the player base is not nearly as big, and finding a new player isn't as convenient.

Victor said:
I remember in WoW if people simply needed all the time we would booth them from the party. Not sure that would work on this game simply because the player base is not nearly as big, and finding a new player isn't as convenient.

Yes and the other problem is: What good does kicking them from the party do? They can still kill and loot. It'd have to be an "instance" type dungeon or location where kicking someone from the party would remove them from that area as well.

sec_goat said:
I knew this existed! you could accomplish that with a script similar to this one:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/runuo-2-0-rc1-raid-dungeons-1-6a-final.72562/

Yeah Goat, it exists, fair warning to all that use it: It's a good system, however if a staff pops in to help someone, crash city. The system is setup so that an area can be exclusive to a group. If a group goes in and another groups wants to, they get a message that such and such a place is already being used. The system will also teleport players to a designated location if they die. Sometimes even if you get a res before the timer expires, you can still get ported out of the instance area.

I don't personally plan on using it, as our shard has a whopping 2 players as of right now. But I liked the idea of what it offers.

Yeah, I hear ya. I heard Grimmwold closed their doors after 11 years just last month. most of their players are waiting for Shrouds of the Avatar. UO Freeshard playerbase is dwindling off, slowly but surely.

It's a nice system, don't get me wrong. I like the idea behind it, but it has some issues that were never resolved. You can still use it as long as you are aware of these issues though. :)

We played Grimmwold for a while, I really like a lot of what they did and will definitely miss them. I wonder if they would ever release their system into the wild? :D

sec_goat said:
We played Grimmwold for a while, I really like a lot of what they did and will definitely miss them. I wonder if they would ever release their system into the wild?

With all the customizing they did, I'd be surprised. I could see some of it possibly reaching the light of day. Same reason I won't release my shard to the public. Too much customization on top of OSI content. I'd spend a year just writing up documentation LOL

Here you go, an Xmlspawner example from a Halloween House Milva built that we altered on my shard:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is Milva's original release of the house design: http://www.servuo.com/threads/halloween-house-addon-no-doors.233/

Or another example video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back to the topic at hand though, I am just not sure a Need/Greed system has a place on a typical UO freeshard. The only time I can think when this might be useful would be if the items on that shard had a rarity drop rate, like WoW's or the items themselves had a level.

Back