aHi all,

This is my first time jumping into emulation and I'm a little confused around what version of the client I should be using with ServUO.

My goal is a replica shard of Siege Perilous when it first launched (July 1999). So this would include T2A functionality but no Renaissance functionality.

When I used a more recent client version, there were a lot of strange things to me such as the "Haven" town, and all of the land was snow-covered.

I believe there is a version of 5.0.9.1 from Grimoric which I believe he edited to make like T2A, but it doesn't seem to have any seeders.

Anyways I know there's a lot of classic players out there like me so just curious what the best way to accomplish this these days is :)

And a huge THANK YOU for the Siege-mode functionality in ServUO! Will give me a great head start on this and hopefully I can contribute once I get the right client version I am looking for, and learn how to read code and stuff :)

Sorry for the late reply. Your best bet is probably to install UO from disc. You can find a Second Age disc on eBay from around 6 bucks. As far as a server to support that client, you might have to dig back a ways in the archives. I don't think ServUO goes back far enough to avoid even UOR content, but I could be wrong. In any case, there are plenty of old RunUO downloads still around. I remember when I first started coding for RunUO they were at something like v0.36 Beta. Of course, the farther back you go, the more strangeness you will likely encounter with compatibility, especially since the .Net language has changed much over the years.

Thanks Lokai! From what I have seen, the "Classic Client" seems to be a common starting point for shards these days I might go with that and just try to manually remove any out-of-era stuff.

Thanks! The more I look at the "Classic Client" 7.0.15.1, the more I think that's the right call. The snow-covered land must have been one random shard I downloaded a client for. I think using 7.0.15.1 might make my potential shard a bit more easy to gather players for since they might already have this installed.

You can change the season in mapdefinition.cs

There is an example from this post :

https://www.servuo.com/threads/ultimalive-map-streamer.2174/

/* Example of registering a custom map:
* RegisterMap( 32, 0, 0, 6144, 4096, 3, "Iceland", MapRules.FeluccaRules );
* Defined:
* RegisterMap( <index>, <mapID>, <fileIndex>, <width>, <height>, <season>, <name>, <rules> );
* - <index> : An unreserved unique index for this map
* - <mapID> : An identification number used in client communications. For any visible maps, this value must be from 0-5
* - <fileIndex> : A file identification number. For any visible maps, this value must be from 0-5
* - <width>, <height> : Size of the map (in tiles)
* - <season> : Season of the map. 0 = Spring, 1 = Summer, 2 = Fall, 3 = Winter, 4 = Desolation
* - <name> : Reference name for the map, used in props gump, get/set commands, region loading, etc
* - <rules> : Rules and restrictions associated with the map. See documentation for details
*/

aHi all,

This is my first time jumping into emulation and I'm a little confused around what version of the client I should be using with ServUO.

My goal is a replica shard of Siege Perilous when it first launched (July 1999). So this would include T2A functionality but no Renaissance functionality.

Hi Mike123,

I started a Siege Perilous style shard 3 years ago now, which is still going. I started with client version 5.0.8.3 which seems to be the one most people go with for the T2A and Ren eras and it works very well with that. Much of what happens in code is set by the era selection in the script but there is a very large amount of work to do on top of that.

I will tell you this: I played Siege Perilous back then from the day it started, through the shard wipe, until 2001. I loved the way that Siege worked with the player community and economy and I wanted to re-create that. BUT, although there are a few people who talked loudly about wanting that really tough shard, nearly everybody doesn't! It was a VERY tough world as you know and that wasn't popular and it certainly isn't now. People complained that it was too hard. They complained that they couldn't sell anything. They complained that the prices were 3x the normal, They complained that it took too long to raise skills (yeah? it took us 6 months MINIMUM back then!). And they go away.

So just be warned about that before you go hell for leather into it like I did!

I decided to move things on, and we are no longer stuck in one era and we are very much "UO Utopia" rather than UOSP. My shard has just evolved from that original locked-in 1999 Siege Perilous thing.

If you want to remain true to 1999, 5.0.8.3 is probably best for that, or the 5.0.9.1 you mentioned which I never found a copy of. The one I got said it was 5.0.9.1 but when I checked the version of the client.exe it is the same old 5.0.8.3!

I really do wish you the best of luck. Just note that if 3 people tell you they REALLY want to play a full monty 1999 Siege Perilous shard, 2.9 of them are lying :)

David

Thanks David - I am familiar with your shard and enjoy seeing the things you come up with in the Updates. For me personally, if I ever do this, I'll stick to the Siege rules (and a few other in that "spirit" that I want, like tying forum account name to UO character name so no one can escape their reputation, good or bad!). I also think I could recruit a few folks who truly would be interested in it. The shards I have played on that have been successful have had a "vision" or guiding principle, and stuck to it. Generally I find that if people are bought into the vision, they will stay even if they don't like 100% of updates or mechanics. At least if they understand *why*, they feel things are fair.

When I tried using ServUO with an older client, I ran into a lot of issues With the "classic client" 7.0.15.1, it worked right away and I got the server set up in about 10 minutes. As you mention, there are still a lot of things needing to be fixed at that point. For example, many classic dungeons like Covetous and Despise are wildly different. But I think for compatibility reasons, it would be where I begin.

Unfortunately in the past week I've begun a role as treasurer for a small community group, so now I'm forced to learn accounting and Quickbooks and nonsense like that, which has seriously hampered my time to spend on building my own server. Not as fun!

Back