Hello guys,as the title says,im looking to host a new shard in europe,and i see the prices under Linux are awesome,on Windows are a bit astronomics for me.The question is:

-Can i get some support here to install correctly the server under Linux? (I developed the shard under Windows).

-Best core to install? (Ubuntu,CentOS,Debian?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hello *inserts a coin*,

Indeed, the additional 25-30 (euros then ?) per month for a Windows Server is rather expensive ...

So, let's see your other options :
Option 1 : Go for a Linux host and put a virtual machine on it, where you would install Windows 10 (if you have an extra licence for it, eg).
Cheapest solution and easiest to run ServUO as you don't have to know a lot about Linux.
Drawbacks can be : Windows Updates are a pain in the *inserts another coin* to stop. There are several ways to prevent your Windows from auto restarting, but if you choose that solution we can talk about it later :)
Another drawback can be : Depending on what kind of Virtual Machine software you choose, you may encounter some issues. I was using Oracle VM VirtualBox, which may sound good when you read 'Oracle', but it's not always a good omen ... but maybe it was just my configuration that wasn't optimized, so I won't go into too many details about this. VMWare is of course an alternative.

Option 2 : Go 100% Linux.
You would need MONO to run ServUO. There are several tutorials here that will guide you well if you choose that solution.
I've heard WINE was very good too, but I never tried it myself (or I did, but it was like 6 years ago so it's not even worth mentioning).

Option 3 : Find the cheapest European host and go Windows Server.
It may sounds stupid as it's not what you are asking, but if you want to be 100% sure everything is compatible and works smoothly, you can still pay the Windows Server licence, but reduce the price of your host.
Emulating UO isn't like something that will consume a lot of resources (ever tried LoA ? ^^).
So you may consider taking a host at 50€ per month, and pay the extra 25€ for Windows Server (I may be talking about prices without VAT ...).
Main focus should be bandwidth : 1GBit/s guaranteed, and SSD in Raid 1 (security and speed), let's say 2x500Gb.
I could recommand you a good european host in Germany, if you want.
(PM me for details ... I'm not sure we can put advertisement here on the forums)

Disclaimer : all these pieces of information are from my personal experience and are not guaranteed to be 100% correct. I am sure other shard owners have other experience and may add Value Added Information on this :)

Last, but not least, to answer your question about which linux distribution to go, I would simply go for Ubuntu. Easy, powerful, straightforward. You can even use a GUI like Gnome and run your ServUO in a window. You may even not need to use the terminal (and the linux commands) regularly.
I personally use Debian, but maybe it's because I am a bit more acquainted to linux. My Debian Stretch is a minimal version and doesn't have a GUI.

And here is a link that may already help you :
- Topics about MONO and ServUO : https://www.servuo.com/forum/mono-support.19/

Besides, there used to be very detailed and useful tutorials about MONO, Linux and ServUO (as I said above), but I don't find them anymore.
I was looking to copy/paste the links, but they seem to be temporaly missing in the forum.
This may be due to ServUO's Xenforo recent upgrade.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. It's always interesting to share experience to spare a coin ... ^^

Last edited:
Usually you just need a Linux VPS the smallest you find on like ovh is plenty especially for lower populations. You would then go install mono. Upload the client files to the server. Set it all up to point to them. And then go compile the server. Since it will be a terminal only you would install something like screen on the VPS so it can continue to run while you close the SSH connection

Ok guys,i got all running,now i have an error compiling servuo,when i go command make,i have an error on console:

*.cs could not be found.

Any advices?Thank you!

is "Retro fun" the servuo folder?

are the server core files in /home/ubuntu/Desktop/Retro fun/Server/ ?

can you show the output of

Code:
ls -al /home/ubuntu/Desktop/Retro fun/Server/

the

Code:
source file "fun/Server/*cs could not be found

makes me think it may not like the space in the folder name. Try renaming without a space, if possible.

here is the guide i semi followed when i first setup mine for reference, i ripped the google cache content until the tutorial system is fixed. https://www.servuo.com/threads/yet-another-debian-servuo-tutorial.10445/#post-65823

Alot of the first half of the dcument is specific to running behind NAT, most VPS have public addresses residing directly on them so its not neccessary. A lot of that guide is personal preference also.

I started with the mono installation about 1/3 of the page, skipped the interface config and started back about 3/4 of the page after the reboot

If you are still running into trouble i can help more this weekend.

Ok man!Is working,awesome!The problem is the space in the folder name,now im getting some errors on scripts i tested under windows,its normal?Example,in level system i get error:
The server is developed under windows.
"The name 'exp' does not exist in the current context"

Errors,but it load with this error and some warnings.Its possible the same scripts load right under windows and get errors under Linux?

I get some warnings about datetime, i always assumed it was differences in how system time was calculated on the different systems.

None of the core or distro scripts should prevent compilation though.

What level system is it, if i may ask? Does it require core mods or distro mods?

Those errors you see that you didnt see befor are through the fact that mono with those settings is kinda more strict. thats all

This is the error im getting:
Errors:
+ Custom/Level system/Core/Level Core.cs:
CS0103: Line 86: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 92: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 98: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 104: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 110: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 116: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 122: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 128: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 134: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 140: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 146: The name `exp' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 496: The name `armours' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 502: The name `armours' does not exist in the current context
CS0103: Line 508: The name `armours' does not exist in the current context
Scripts: One or more scripts failed to compile or no script files were found.
Eco system training elemental give error too,just deleted from files.

I get some warnings about datetime, i always assumed it was differences in how system time was calculated on the different systems.

None of the core or distro scripts should prevent compilation though.

What level system is it, if i may ask? Does it require core mods or distro mods?
Yes!Is the level system recently droped by Joshua and installed/tested under Windows without problems.
This system requires some distro edits in basecreature/playermobile.cs

I will try installing the same system on mine when I get home and see what happens
Thank you man!
Mine is under Ubuntu.
If interested,the training elemental from xanthos is giving error too in this section:
public TrainingElemental( Serial serial ) : base( serial ) { }

Cause this error,i think the problem is not the level system,i think im jumping some step to compile it right.
Just followed some forum tutorial/steps.

Wondering about the training elemental. If people keep using it and it is created with base creature will it go up in levels and become stronger? Would it be possible to change the elemental to use damageable item instead of basecreature?

Insert_Coin, I got the same errors with that system on Debian. No other scripts installed. Not sure what the problem may be.

Now im trying to install latest ubuntu,let me a pair of hours and i try to reinstall all and i post here errors ok?Thank you so much for trying to help me,its important for me.

Ok man,im really done,hehe,but thanks a lot for your time/help,now i decided to host the server under Windows,thank you so much.

Back