Every once in a while the world will save and lockup not output any files into the save directory and will sit there until I shutdown and restore the most recent save. I have debugging on but when it happens there does not appear to be an error, is there any way to pinpoint what is causing this or how to prevent it?

Sounds like a system that may be hooked up to trigger on a world save, is doing something heavy enough to break it.

If you're running with the debugger attached through Visual Studio, hit the pause/break when the issue occurs and you should be able to narrow it down to whatever code caused it to lock.

Worst case scenario your HDD is failing - more likely if this isn't something that happens on EVERY save.

I'd hope it's not the SSD lol it's brand new, but yeah it only happens sometimes not all the time and usually a restart will fix it until the next restart when it happens again then just restart again.

I'll see how to attach the debugger and try to get it to happen while watching it, right now it has happened only once since I posted but since the restart hasn't happened again.

I did noticed it stops about halfway through saving the mobile file so maybe it's a mob? Who knows..

All you have to do to attach the debugger is load ServUO.sln with VS, switch the output to Debug, then hit the green "play" button on the top nav.
This will compile and launch ServUO.exe with VS debugger attached.
If you want to attach VS to an already running shard, load the ServUO.sln with VS like before, but use the Debug menu option to attach to an existing process.
Hitting pause/break will effectively pause the shard like hitting pause in a game would do - leaving you able to inspect the value of variables in real-time.
Chances are when you hit break/pause, it will already be in the scope of the problematic code - so take notes there.

Yeah I just Googled how to do that haha, I will move it to my computer to test as the remote option doesn't want to work for me. Hopefully I can make it happen so that I can actually see what's happening. I suppose I could just keep hitting save until it does happen..

Okay so gonna be honest here, I don't know what the hell I'm looking at in the debug stuff lol, also I can't compile because of the custom edits so it throws a ton of errors :) I have attached the debugger to the process though don't know if that's a good way to do it.

Last edited:
OMG! My shard has been doing this too. What mods do you have installed?
Mine seems to happen either 12 hours from start up or some multiple of 12 hours later.
I added this line to where my time system saves so I would know what time it froze.

Console.WriteLine( "Save Time: {0}", DateTime.Now );

Last edited:
Oh I have quite a bit installed lol so hard to say what's causing it, mine is literally random but I've done what Voxpire suggested and attached the debugger so next time it happens hopefully I can catch what's causing it. Mine will be up for days then restart and it will happen restart another time and it'll be fixed.

It's not active but is installed, but it was happening before adding that.. of course now that the debugger is attached it hasn't frozen up yet, go figure..

The parallel save strategy was never finalized, only the standard and dual save strategies are truly stable - I recommend changing to another strategy - you may have to comment out the CPU core count detection code in SaveStrategy.cs

I thought that might be what caused it just from reading what was on the console but I was unsure and didn't want to touch anything yet, I'll look into that now, thanks Voxpire!

Ok just increased the core count on the other 2 strategies and I'm now running the dual save, I'll keep an eye on it and let you know :)

**EDIT**
Just as an update, I have done what Voxpire recommended and that resolved my issues, hasn't happened since.

Last edited:
Back