@Tasanar @Dexter_Lexia @Argalep @Milva @JGreen @Falkor @Ravenwolfe
I have a short question about the old faction system. Because I know, we can still turn it on our emu. Our shard is very much based on Siege Ruleset and many people remember factions with nostalgia. However, I have a question for you, as people who have dismantled ServUO on the prime factors. To what extent - in your opinion - does the inclusion of the faction collide with other systems currently implemented? Alternatively, which systems (except VvV) should be turned off while the faction is functioning - I mean, of course, the current version of ServUO. Perhaps some of you have recently analyzed this topic and could share your experiences?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Well Far as I can tell from taking it apart servuo and runuo factions are tied into VvV and Guilds.

I am not much of a siege ruleset guy I do not now if they every had factions.

Do you want to use factions only and how high of client are you using Because factions have changed more then once over the course of OSI, before VvV.

One thing Servuo has gotten really bad about is Era Checks because they are only have focused on Current UO. It might be a big undertaking depending on Era of Shard and client your shard runs.

Personly Only VvV was to me was a replacement for Order/Chaos System.

Factions will work fine. Simply turn off VvV in the Config and it converts right over.

Can even pick to use the new CoM base in Moonglow or not, depending on what era you want. We even coded support for the reward turn in box that came later. Everything should work fine out of the box. No need for era checks there as most people customize the pvp systems to their liking anyway and both can be used in any era with relative ease.

And totally off topic but as far as era checks go, we are at a point now, 23 years or so later, where I feel, and maybe I am totally off base, that if we focus on era checks the code is going to become long and confusing to work with (It already is this but worse). I am for AOS and not. Let the server owners, through the config files or code edits change what they want, since most of us are going to do that anyway.

Era checks - T2A, REN, LBR, AOS, SE, ML, SA, HS, TOL, EJ, EJ+ (all the recent publishes who knows where they fall), Whatever UO is planning next, two years from now, four years from now, etc, etc.

The code would look cleaner and would be easier to manage. These are just my personal thoughts and in no way reflect any changes to ServUO moving forward.

Last edited:
It is a pity that EA introduced some changes that diminished the importance of the faction, e.g. the introduction of LRC limited the importance of reg sellers. At one time, on the old version of shard, I implemented a change in LRC mechanics so that this parameter did not provide the possibility of eliminating regs completely from use by magicians, but only increased the chance that the magician would not consume some of the regs needed to cast a spell. The idea itself was not stupid but for comfortable players who learned to play without regs - it was difficult to accept.

@Tasanar you are quite right in what you wrote, because I noticed that almost all servers I came in contact with or are based on current rules (EJ / EJ +), pre AOS (T2A/Renaissance) or AOS. Intermediate eras (LBR, SE, ML, SA, HS, TOL) enjoy little interest.

Last edited:
And totally off topic but as far as era checks go, we are at a point now, 23 years or so later, where I feel, and maybe I am totally off base, that if we focus on era checks the code is going to become long and confusing to work with (It already is this but worse). I am for AOS and not. Let the server owners, through the config files or code edits change what they want, since most of us are going to do that anyway.

Era checks - T2A, REN, LBR, AOS, SE, ML, SA, HS, TOL, EJ, EJ+ (all the recent publishes who knows where they fall), Whatever UO is planning next, two years from now, four years from now, etc, etc.

The code would look cleaner and would be easier to manage. These are just my personal thoughts and in no way reflect any changes to ServUO moving forward.

Well Era checks would be and would have been possible with a branch for each expansion, would keep the code smaller and maintainable too. Also would not break things in the past expansions

Back