Hello All,

I have noticed an issue where a player can attack another player's pet with their pet and the attacking player will turn criminal but their pet will remain innocent. I would like to fix this and setup a pet criminal action when the owner turns criminal. I have tried editing notoriety.cs under mobile notoriety but with my edits odd things are occuring where pets are going criminal at random times when attacking normal attackable creatures. Does anyone have this same issue occuring and do you know of a fix for the issue?

This sounds more like a philosophy question than a scripting issue. If my dog attacks your cat because I told it to do so, then most people would say the dog is blameless, and it's the owner who is the criminal, and not the pet. However, as the game has started introducing "smart" pets, or pets that one might consider have their own conscience, then we start to ask questions like "Is the one who follows orders responsible for the actions he takes, if he knows those actions to be immoral?"

I don't think I would have considered this except I have seen many shards that use Mercenaries as pets. Perhaps they should just always be grey? ;)

But seriously, I think the answer to your question is to look at the AI for the pet in question. There should be a section in AI where it describes the pet as following the orders of it's master. Perhaps make a check in that part of the script for Karma or something, and do your decision-making there.

It is not any specific pet which I would like to set this up for but all pets. My philosophy for the change is that all pets would have the same notoriety as their owners and if they are commanded to commit a criminal action they would be held responsible as a criminal. I have the notoriety part changed (ie. murderers pets are red, criminals pets are grey) but the pet will not become a criminal when they commit the criminal action. This is what I would like to edit.

Back