So, I'm new to the animal taming/training changes that happened over the last few years. Why on earth is my pet following at a rate of 1 square a second tops? I used to be able to run across town and it never skipped a beat. My pet was ALWAYS hot on my heels! Now I have to wait forever to get anywhere. Is something broke? I may not be using the absolute latest version of the server as well. =)

According to UOGuide: "Pet speed...movement speed is directly related to their level of Dexterity. The more a creature has the faster it can travel around the game world. At a level of 125 (the natural maximum any creature can be trained to), they are quite capable of keeping up with an unmounted player..."

And there's this if you want to do some tinkering with it:
(ServUO) Pet Follow Speed

I hope this helps. There's also some old UOForum stuff about it from 2016, when they just straight nerfed pet speed for balance. But I think the current state is more reflective of the taming overhaul. I just tested it out with a few monsters with varied dexterity scores, and it's definitely dexterity-based. A rune beetle can stay with you while running, and a cow gets left behind even if you walk.

Back