I've been all over the place looking at tutorials on how to set up port forwarding. I used to have a direct connection, and set up was easy. I now have a modem with a wireless access point instead of a direct connection to the modem, and I can't seem to get outside clients to connect. Could anyone give me a hand?

I've set my External I.P. from whatismyip.com in Server.cs
I've set port forwards for port 2593 in my modem.
I can run a port check on 2593 and get a valid response, but I cannot get any clients to connect.

Is your firewall turned off also you can add the server to your firewall to allow
Have you gone online for your router and added the information there for the server and port

I have my firewalls off just to be sure. I have forwarded the ports on both TCP/UDP for 2593 on my private IP.
When I had my old ADSL router it all worked fine, but now that I'm going form a modem to a wireless router it's not working.

I was reading all of that before I posted. I've been scouring the internet for a week. I just tried to connect a computer directly to the wireless router and now I can connect to the shard wireless, but it's still not resolving to my public IP with the forwards in my modem.

Well heck if your sure the correct IP is set in serverlist then I'm not sure what the problem could be :/ maybe other's will join in for an idea!

And you tried On the computer running your server. Go start > Run > CMD [enter] > type: ipconfig and look where it says ip addres

Could also maybe the auto detect in serverlist, unless you have :)

Last edited:
I've been at this all day. I'm sure the issue is somewhere between my modem and wireless router. I may just need to go buy another ADSL router for this to work again. I'm at a loss. I've changed every setting I can think of.

So the general issue here would be that you are trying to bind to your WAN ip, which isn't going to work. You will need to enable port forwarding in your router or enable the servers LAN ip as your DMZ host.

This will get you going from the outside. If you have details on which router, we can get you to a good guide that will help you if you run into problems.

That sounds great. I have a SpeedStream 4300 DSL Modem. And a Netgear WNDR4300 wireless router. Thanks! I didn't know you are not supposed to bind the WAN I.P.

Think of it this way: your router is there to go one to many. Phones, computers, game consoles, etc., have to go out one hole. The router gives all of these devices LAN IP addresses, a la. Local area network. So, you have to give your router a way to forward stuff from the outside to the inside. This is the "safer way", port forwarding. It forces you to make a conscious decision to let the outside into one port on the inside.

For your device, a similar guide may be:
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=3291

or

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/d...-on-routers-with-the-netgear-genie-interface?

Back