It occured to me that there are two websites that are predominantly used by individual freeshshards to advertise their game clients. I was wondering if ServUO might benefit from occasionally promoting their shard listing forums in these places also? Personally, I hate the shard spam on those sites, since they're not really intended for that purpose, but I think that ServUO could perhaps manouvre itself to the administrators of both the Reddit page and UO facebook group page as the forum to advertise their shards. In the interest of generating greater interest in this site I think it might be worth it. Just wondering what your official stance might be?

Depends on if you're asking us Admins and Devs, or Insanity as the Owner.

I'm all for it. I think its an Insanity decision though, and he's very MIA.

Heh, I shall await his return then. Although, I genuinely hope he's not been too drastically hurt by his ATV accident, those can be damn nasty.

He actually recovered from that, and returned for almost a week. Then he fell back into the black void of life again. Hopefully he is ok.

I would be happy to partner UO Portal up with ServUO in order to drive traffic on both ends. The UO community seems to get smaller by the day, seems like common sense to band together what is left :)

Agree, Kyn. Unfortunately again I think that's currently an Insanity (as the Owner) decision. I'd hate to make any of those calls (as a collective staff here) and have anything be against what he wants if and when he returns.

Agree, Kyn. Unfortunately again I think that's currently an Insanity (as the Owner) decision. I'd hate to make any of those calls (as a collective staff here) and have anything be against what he wants if and when he returns.

I worked with Insanity in the past, he was a very intelligent guy and fun to talk to. Hopefully he returns in good health. Until then I will await his return and possibly speak with him about some type of joint partnership. I'm glad to have your support m309, you are an exemplary member of the UO community.

I'm afraid I'm inclined to disagree with kyn here. Joining in partnership with any shard listing site robs ServUO of it's position of being neutral. Especially when nearly every one of these is influenced by "cash for premium positions" and also when there have been incidences where the votes were manifestly altered to favour their own servers.

It has the potential of switching people off from ServUO if direct ties to these places are made. Especially, if there are underlying issues with those who host these sites and any of the ever dwindling development community.

I fail to see how an affiliate link would cause any issue. To each their own I suppose. In my opinion you've taken the politics a little far.

To respond to your statement, Kyn. The issue of affiliation ServUo with shard listing site by way of direct partner would bring politics into the fray which could harm the last standing community forum of UO development. What I might suggest is worth bringing up is the formation of a subforum for all shard voting sites, but nothing more than that.

You are entitled to your own opinion. I'm sure things will go well either way. It's a moot point regardless as Insanity is unavailable for comment. I'm happy to leave it at that as not to arouse any further frustrations.

Back