I have been using CentredEd 6.3 for several years. Today, after adding some new static art to the server, it stopped working. I have added quite a bit of static art in the past with no issues. The cedserver loads, but upon attempting to connect it shows the "initializing" window, which closes and then nothing happens. This happens with all UO clients, not only the one I modified. I tried restating my computer and uninstalling and reinstalling CentrEd 6.3, but have the same issue. I had a similar issue a few years ago after a hard drive crash, but I cannot recall what I did to get it working.

In the past, I have not had any luck getting newer versions of CentrED to run, but thought I would give 7.9 a try. I managed to get it working, but now the terrain tiles show as flat, the same as statics. The height seems to be preserved. Also, certain statics show through others, such as floor tiles showing through walls at corners. I was wondering if this is a setting issue, or if it is perhaps an issue with with my client or something else. Also, presuming it is merely a setting issue, do I need to save my work, or does it autosave as with earlier versions?

Any help is much appreciated.

Did you enable flat view by accident? (The keyboard combo is Ctrl+F, so its really easy to do if you try to search for something with the wrong window active or something) Try pressing it again or clicking it on toolbar.

Yes it autosaves. Also, if it is the flat mode, then its not really making a change to the map itself, just a cosmetic rendering thing to make it easier to see things that may be obscured behind taller terrain.

Did you enable flat view by accident? (The keyboard combo is Ctrl+F, so its really easy to do if you try to search for something with the wrong window active or something) Try pressing it again or clicking it on toolbar.

Yes it autosaves. Also, if it is the flat mode, then its not really making a change to the map itself, just a cosmetic rendering thing to make it easier to see things that may be obscured behind taller terrain.

Thanks for your help and prompt response! I checked flat view an that made it even flatter...:). Very handy feature though. After reading this thread, I tried changing the format from 0x0000000 to 0x00000008. In the documentation, 0x0000 seems to be for older clients, and 0x0008 seems to be for High Seas. I am not sure how the extra zeros factor in. This seems to have fixed the issue, and everything is working, though I wonder if this is correct, or if it might cause issues.

I have another issue. When I start up the program I get the following error:

Cannot create empty directory
Press ok to continue and risk data corruption
Press Cancel to kill the program

Pressing OK causes the program to launch and it seems to work.

Thank again!

I fear that I may have not explained it clearly. Sorry about that. I am running cedserver and the client as admin.

I haven't encountered that error, so I can only make guesses :(

What folder are your map files stored in? Inside the Centred folder or elsewhere? what about the client files?

Seems weird, almost like a permissions issue.

Thanks again for the help! I managed to get it working by completely deleting the older version, as well as 0.7.9, rebooting and starting from scratch with version 0.7.8, using the 0x0010 format. I think the issue had something to do with not being able to create a directory for Windows Forms.

Back