Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving ServUO to AGPL would avoid these types of scenarios altogether.
I agree 100%. I'm personally a huge fan of "copyleft" licenses as they're often referred to. This requires all modifications made for software that is used by the public to also be available to the public which fosters a great community of sharing!

...In the case of GPL (v2 OR v3), code CANNOT be "distributed" under an NDA...

Ok, you cannot limit the "distribution" in NDA (this is mentioned in FAQ, actually there is nothing about NDA in the license itself).

But, Can you state in NDA that the work will be provided in the GPLv3 exclusive mode? I don't see a problem in this.

Ok, you cannot limit the "distribution" in NDA (this is mentioned in FAQ, actually there is nothing about NDA in the license itself).

But, Can you state in NDA that the work will be provided in the GPLv3 exclusive mode? I don't see a problem in this.
No, that is not able to be done:
1683831396288.png

The key here is that technically they're incompatible with each other because GPLv3 is more restrictive than GPLv2. That being said, the original owner (ServUO) could re-release it under GPLv3, but as it stands now, ServUO and any modifications made to it fall under GPLv2.

If ServUO would release their work again, I'd recommend AGPL instead of GPLv3, but that's a decision of the original owner.

No, that is not able to be done:
View attachment 21796

The key here is that technically they're incompatible with each other because GPLv3 is more restrictive than GPLv2. That being said, the original owner (ServUO) could re-release it under GPLv3, but as it stands now, ServUO and any modifications made to it fall under GPLv2.
I know it's not possible with ServUO/RunUO, because it is GPLv2 :) I was talking about GPLv3.

If ServUO would release their work again, I'd recommend AGPL instead of GPLv3, but that's a decision of the original owner

ServUO is derived from RunUO. You would need to also find all authors of RunUO. I don't think this is possible.

EDIT: AGPL would be a disaster. All Shards would have to release their source code. Not only that copy shards would happen, but also all security holes would be exploited. You don't want that.

Last edited:
Ah sorry, I misunderstood the question!

For GPLv3, my best understanding is that you'd have a contract + NDA. The nature of having the contract then allows you (or really REQUIRES you) to then have an NDA (or an NDA clause as part of that contract). But you couldn't have "no contract" and just an NDA, if that makes sense?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood the question!

For GPLv3, my best understanding is that you'd have a contract + NDA. The nature of having the contract then allows you (or really REQUIRES you) to then have an NDA (or an NDA clause as part of that contract). But you couldn't have "no contract" and just an NDA, if that makes sense?

Ah, now I understand :) As I said, I'm not a lawyer (but it is interesting for me). I didn't know that NDA cannot be made without contract.

EDIT: I know I'm probably a little annoying. But how is then possible NDA for players? For example Age of Empires have this NDA - Age of Empires

Last edited:
As some people have decided to openly complain about this thread being closed 'without reason', as if I'm obliged to give one (pro tip: I'm not), here is a list of what should have been fairly obvious reasons:

The original poster got their resolution.
The general opinion on NDA's has been made quite clear.
The discussion became stale without replies for an extended time.
No one here is a professional legal advisor.
No one should be taking legal advice away from this thread without consulting a professional.
Nothing more could be added to this discussion that can't take place in private conversations.

If anyone has any further issues with this, you know where the complain button is, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back