So I'm having a bit of an issue. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to update the skill caps of players who existed before I updated my PlayerCaps.cfg. I understand some of these settings impact new players only so it makes sense I would have to change them manually and most of the settings I have found easy enough. However, I have been unable to find a corresponding entry in the props command for either SkillCap or TotalSkillCap. I'm not sure what the SkillsCap actually refers to as it is set the same for characters created before and after the skill change. Is there a way to update these fields manually without having my players delete and remake their characters? I tried searching around for an answer to this but didn't see anything so I apologize if this has been asked before.

PlayerCap.cfg:
#------------
# New Char Only
#-----------------------

# Sets the default individual skill cap. Since skills have a decimal value
# they also need to have a decimal value added to their skillcap
SkillCap=2550

# Sets the default total skill cap. Since skills have a decimal value
# they also need to have a decimal value added to their skillcap
TotalSkillCap=17850

So this is what led me to believe that the settings weren't impacting players which existed before PlayerCap.cfg was updated. Also, several of my older players have reported that their skill and stat caps are still not going up. Also running the props command did show the old stat caps in place. Is this comment for an older version of the config? I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my setup which is preventing the config from updating the pre-existing players.

You need to use a global command to change the value for existing players. Always be careful with these as it's easy to make huge changes by accident :D

Code:
[global set skillscap 17850 where playermobile

should do the trick. (the variable in playermobile is called skillscap)

Thank you for the command Falkor. I tried it out on myself first; since as you mentioned the global command is very easy to make undesired changes. However, when I select show caps on my skills list it's not showing as updated and if I log out and log back in the change disappears. Also the skillscap variable on both my old and new players is set to the same and is 18050 which is confusing because that's neither the default nor is it the value I changed it to above so I'm not really sure what that is setting or if it's being set correctly at all.

Check VetRewards.cfg for an extra skill cap boost for characters over a certain age. By default it adds 200 -- your mystery amount.

I don't know about the rest -- my server code is the previous version, circa December 2019. I set my own skillscap higher than the one in the config file and re-logged (and even restarted the server) and it stayed at the new value.

Oh wow the veteran rewards thing is pretty cool. Not sure if they had that back in 2005. I didn't get it fixed but I think since only a couple of people are affected I'm just going to export their properties have them create a new character and set the new character up like the old one. Really appreciate the help from both of you who replied to me. If I do figure out what happened or why it's not working as expected I'll be sure to post a reply.

Back