I've been attempting to get client version 1.25 (initial retail release) running on Windows 10, but there's zero network traffic coming out of it. I pointed LOGIN.CFG at my server with a netcat daemon running, but I couldn't see any traffic (even UDP) to that IP address. I thought maybe there was some sort of hard-coded auth server or something, so I capped all the network traffic on my machine (after shutting like everything down :) ) and didn't see a peep other than standard Microsoft services. I get the unable to connect to Origin servers message the instant I hit the "Select Character" gem rather than a delay.

Anyone have an idea about this or any experience? The next troubleshooting steps I have available to me are using ProcMon to see if the process is failing to load a DLL and just not complaining, and executing the process in a Windows 98 VM to make sure it's an OS / environment issue and not a corrupt binary.

I seem to recall that Razor changed at one point and you can't use clients older than...5-something? on it

I don't know about connecting to ServUo, but I'm pretty sure I remember UOX ( http://www.uox3.org/ ) being the only emulator I could find that worked with clients in the 2s

Could be wrong, it's been probably 2 years since I tried.

Dunno about Now but there was also WolfPack Emulator C++ Based EMU..UoX3 eventually went over to JScript dunno if it still would work

Believe there is also Shpere and Pol EMU's

I figured out my issue. I thought I had replied but I guess not :) I forgot that UO finds its data directory based on the registry entry regardless of where the exe is, so it was never pulling the altered login.cfg file. I re-ran the network monitoring to double-check myself and sure enough there was a TCP SYN packet sent to the old login servers at the very top I had overlooked. I normally ignore SYN and SYN-ACK packets as they are just protocol chatter, but in this case it indicated that the client was indeed attempting to connect to a now defunct address and never getting a response.

After installing a T2A client off the install disk (which set the registry setting) I was in business. I've now got login decryption working as well thanks to the very well documented POL source which contains every client encryption key pair since ever. Such nice folks :) Next step is implementing the login server, then comes the hard part: Blowfish encryption.

Honestly though I am still looking for a utility that can remove the encryption and multi-client check from a 1.25.35b client executable. I need to be able to fire up this client while logged into the official server. I'll handle multi-client prevention on the server-side if needed.

Thanks Demented, I really appreciate the help. UO Rice only supports clients back to 1.26.3, which is into the UO:R era. I have a 1.26.4i installation disk image and it's not what I'm after. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to do this the hard way :) Oh well, the encryption has been broken for like fifteen plus years and multi-client hack is easy enough to do. I'm a wiz with 6502 assembly, that should translate into "knows enough to be dangerous" in x86 :D

Hehe No problem Norman..Yeah i been around a while lol...Yet i still learn new things everyday =)
Sorry I couldnt Help more

It's all good. I stumbled through the disassembly enough to find where I need to patch for multi-client (there's actually two checks in those older clients). I've tested each patch individually but ran out of time before I had to go to work this morning to put them together. I think I'm almost there for the multi-client patch and I can just suffer through implementing Blowfish encryption :) Unfortunately I can't use the UOEncryption library as this project is in NodeJS / JavaScript.

Great source for old client installers http://mirror.ashkantra.de/joinuo/Clients/

Ive been playing around with the last official runuo release, aka 2.3 and i've got 203 working no problems. im running on ML era with 203 support.

203 has no support for cliloc.enu it uses older cliloc01.enu etc which only has upto clilocID 1054000 though its also missing a few earlier ones they added in at lower ID's after AOS etc. these old cliloc files can be found on the LBR installer cd. I've tried reversing the format and thought i had it down but the client just shows blank text for clilocs i added. I wanted to convert latest clilocs to the old format :(
https://gist.github.com/DarkLotus/af6eac3f261d729560e3e302e836c7e2 Was my attempt at it, format appears to be correct but im missing something.

To get 203 on runuo working i had to
Fix 0x11 status to send old version
Fix 0x3a to send skills without caps
convert all unicodespeech, localizedtext etc to ascii speech
Replace all localized strings in gumps with text.
Block OPL packets going to 203
Change char creation to handle old + new format of creation packet.

There are bound to be a few more packets that need to be blocked from 203 as well, but appears to be working.

Slightly different note but, has anyone had success in backporting animations? I would like to move anims from anim2-3 into anim.mul for client 203 which only reads anim.mul, but ive had no luck getting it working using fiddler.

I've had issues with installing both an older client version, 2.0.3, and the newest.
If I remember correctly it's because of the registry key, it's different for older and newer clients and when i install one "version" it deletes the key for the other.

Any workarounds for this?

I've had issues with installing both an older client version, 2.0.3, and the newest.
If I remember correctly it's because of the registry key, it's different for older and newer clients and when i install one "version" it deletes the key for the other.

Any workarounds for this?

Yes, I believe so. What I did was create a backup of the registry keys and saved it as a .reg file that I could run later to apply whichever server I was running. I did this with about 7 different client versions at one point. I had a folder full of them, and would just run that .reg file before running Razor, so it would know which client to use.

Here is what my classic .reg file looks like:

JavaScript:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-782964027-169630990-1237804090-112075\{62EEB17B-251B-4E57-B516-5594A810C4FC}]
"ConfigApplicationPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic"
"AppExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\UO.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\KR Legacy Beta]
"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\client.exe"
"InstCDPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic"
"PatchExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\uopatch.exe"
"StartExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\uo.exe"
"Upgraded"="Yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Origin Worlds Online\Ultima Online\1.0]
"ExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\client.exe"
"InstCDPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic"
"PatchExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\uopatch.exe"
"StartExePath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\uo.exe"
"Upgraded"="Yes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Ultima Online Classic]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic"
"GameExecutionPath"="UO.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic]
"GameExplorer"="{36AAF0FD-D17D-458B-8352-ED802F1ADA7D}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\GamesToFindOnWindowsUpgrade]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\GamesToFindOnWindowsUpgrade\{36AAF0FD-D17D-458B-8352-ED802F1ADA7D}]
"GDFBinaryPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\GDF\\UOClassicGDF.dll"
"GameInstallPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\UO.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Electronic Arts\\Ultima Online Classic\\UO.exe"

Back