dont know if this is the right section but for someone who is wanting to start making custom things for ServUO where would be a good place to start as i really havent seen nothing posted about learning or for new people wanting to get into making custom things

The best way to learn programming is to start by editing an existing item to learn how it works. Small steps first, then try bigger changes. Use other scripts as an example of the correct approach for what you hope to accomplish.

The rest is just based on practice. There's no quick way really. I had never seen C# before starting UO but after stabbing at it for 15 years I've gotten better at it. Before that was Apple BASIC in the 80s and some Visual Basic in college.

The best way to learn programming is to start by editing an existing item to learn how it works. Small steps first, then try bigger changes. Use other scripts as an example of the correct approach for what you hope to accomplish.

The rest is just based on practice. There's no quick way really. I had never seen C# before starting UO but after stabbing at it for 15 years I've gotten better at it. Before that was Apple BASIC in the 80s and some Visual Basic in college.
yeah i have been looking through scripts n things but didnt know if there was certain way things was done or not but i will keep poking around things to learn and to see how somethings get done

Falkor is correct on this. I believe the first time I started dealing with scripting was when I first modified Daat's Resource mod. I wrote down the modifications he created, studied his work for a good 2-3 months , trying to figure out what he added or commented out for things to work. One the best tricks I ever learned is if you are going to be messing around with any scripts that are already in the game. Comment where the edit begins and ends with each part you add so if you have any issue you know it's going to be between those lines, granted the server console it self will show you those lines as well. Also if you know of an animal that does something that you want your own creature to have, take a look at that script and study what you need to edit. As first time scripting with no script knowledge what so ever, I recommend working more on creatures and items rather than a new system to implement.

Falkor is correct on this. I believe the first time I started dealing with scripting was when I first modified Daat's Resource mod. I wrote down the modifications he created, studied his work for a good 2-3 months , trying to figure out what he added or commented out for things to work. One the best tricks I ever learned is if you are going to be messing around with any scripts that are already in the game. Comment where the edit begins and ends with each part you add so if you have any issue you know it's going to be between those lines, granted the server console it self will show you those lines as well. Also if you know of an animal that does something that you want your own creature to have, take a look at that script and study what you need to edit. As first time scripting with no script knowledge what so ever, I recommend working more on creatures and items rather than a new system to implement.
well i mean programming is no issue as i have done many different languages but i understand what you are saying and i will start doing things like that to learn and see how others have some certain things then work from there

Back