So currently I restarted the server a couple hours ago and had no errors. I haven't changed any scripts after that time. My computer crashed (Windows 10 64bit) for an unknown reason, went to reboot the server and I keep getting this error repeatly. After poking around a bit I still haven't found a solution to it, so I just put everything back the way it was and figured I would ask here if anyone knows of a fix.

Code:
Server Crash Report
===================

RunUO Version 0.5, Build 5928.13709
Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
.NET Framework: 4.0.30319.42000
Time: 5/18/2016 6:21:22 AM
Mobiles: 132
Items: 1492
Exception:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at Engale.BookPublishing.BP_Load.ReadData(String filePath)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Server.ScriptCompiler.Invoke(String method) in c:\Users\Crow\Desktop\ServUO-master\Server\ScriptCompiler.cs:line 667
   at Server.Core.Main(String[] args) in c:\Users\Crow\Desktop\ServUO-master\Server\Main.cs:line 547

Clients:
- Count: 0

It states a root element is missing but I'm rather unsure what element is missing and how is it missing since I haven't changed any scripts or core files since the last successful reboot.

What is this? Is there a XML file in this system you can post here?

This means an XML file has missing (OR MULTIPLE) root elements.

I looked into my scripts for the Book Publishing System and I was unable to find a xml file. I also checked the zip file that I downloaded from on here and didn't see a xml file either included. I'm guessing it links to a currently made xml file, so I'm going to check that quick. So I found a point where it calls to a xml file it creates called books.xml which is linked to the save and load scripts. Here are all of the documents.

Attachments

• books.xml
    86 bytes · Views: 3
  • Load.cs
    2 KB · Views: 1
  • Save.cs
    2 KB · Views: 2
The books.xml seems to be your issue here. looks like it crashed while trying to save the file (it's from a script I created) and it only dumped nulls into the file instead of the expected structure. Delete the xml file and try to start up again, if you have a back up that's not full of just nulls then it should be able to load from that if you replace the books.xml. If you've not used the book publishing system there's no need to worry about it.

Alright, I haven't used it yet. I will go ahead and delete it out and see what happens.

Thank you again Lokai and Talow for your help and quick responses. (Awesome scripts/systems you both have created by the way!)
[doublepost=1463595887][/doublepost]
The books.xml seems to be your issue here. looks like it crashed while trying to save the file (it's from a script I created) and it only dumped nulls into the file instead of the expected structure. Delete the xml file and try to start up again, if you have a back up that's not full of just nulls then it should be able to load from that if you replace the books.xml. If you've not used the book publishing system there's no need to worry about it.

Deleted the books.xml out and she started up like a champ.

Yeah don't blame you there. All is well though so no worries. I will keep an eye on it though and let you know if it goes weird in the future.

Back