I keep seeing in various threads and resource discussions that ServUO 57 and 58 are vastly different. The only thing I've seen on the forums regarding these "night and day" differences is that XML Spawner has been removed in 58, and other non OSI things are going to be removed.

However, I can't find any official posting discussing these MAJOR changes so I am confused. Am I missing a huge news post? Is it buried somewhere?

For instance, I finally came to post this question because I was cruising Kitas OpenAI resource discussion and yet again a very competant(sp?) coder said that the resource was based on Pub .58.0, and backtracking the scripts to 57 would be from what I can gather an extreme amount of work.

What changed so much that anytime the two are mentioned together it seems as if the nerf hammer comes out? I don't recall seeing that in any other release here. (Granted, I come in very seldomly and miss alot of the regular updates)

So in further searching it looks like there was a Post by @Voxpire that announced the big changes and apparently it didnt go well. All well, it is what it is. I would certainly like to read this post of all the changes but apparently Vox or someone deleted it. Is there anyway anyone could tell me what the thread said or can a Mod PM me with it? I have zero desire to pass judgement on what @Voxpire has decided to take ServUO. I think everyone working on the project has done a hell of a job and Im just thankful to have such a great Emulator. Ive used them all going back to 1999. This is by far the best.

The plan for P58 is to restore most of the API that was originally removed when the expansion checks were gutted out.

The expansion checking and related features will be re-implemented so that P58 is capable of emulating all expansions again, rather than just the latest.

This also aims to restore cross-compatibility with most publicly released content, which is somewhat of a pain to update these days.

P58 is in constant development (locally) when I have time between jobs, I have quite a bit pending commit; 1704402210407.png

Once all these goals have been met and P58 is officially released as the latest stable version, I will look at bumping it up to .NET 8 and maybe releasing a P59 for that, but that's likely as far as I will take it - I cannot find the time to dig up info about EA's latest content and I don't have a development team to help with it currently, so at that point ServUO will be very much in the hands of the community going forward.

Back