I have fired up a ServUO shard using the latest classic client, launched a world, and created my admin account. Ive also initiated a [createworld and watched that process spawn the mobiles using xmlspawner. What I am looking for is a what now? I will be starting to learn C# but my main question is how do I limit the era of the UO shard? Lets say I want to limit it to Renaissance how would I go about doing that?

There seems to be some videos on youtube that go on standing up the initial ServUO shard and they have been helpful but not a comprehensive must do next types of things.

Would be nice for a definitive "How To" of the following:

1. Modify and use XMLspawner to launch mobiles into the world. Increase the number of spawns in a particular area. IE NPC's, monsters, chest, etc.
2. Limit what era of UO you want on your shard.
3. What are the important files that you must learn and master in the ServUO directory?
4. Heres how you can modify the static map and import those changes into your shard
5. Recommended system to implement into your shard (for learning purposes)
6. Updated free (if possible) C# training courses or recommended books to purchase.
7. How to create items in the world. Either for yourself as an admin or for a player. IE gold, houses, weapons, armor. etc.
8. Not sure if this one exists but heres an admin capability rich feature - kinda like [createworld that beginners of C# can use to spawn all sorts of things from step 7 above.
9. Updated recommended hardware and OS to run ServUO on based off of user count.
10. Fellow users who are available for either paid or non-paid consultation.
11. How do you bundle a client package to disseminate to players? The ClassicUO client is really nice and is now popular in other shards.
12. How do you modify the login screen of your players?
13. Video tutorials of the popular UO editor tools and which ones are the best to accomplish tasks.

Welcome to the community, everything you ask for is here in one form or another, there will never be a one stop for all info, that is just not in the cards, and depending on the Server you have, Eras might not even be there anymore, they use to have eras you could pick but was removed in the recent version! But like anyone new to this, don't try to run before walking, take time and fiddle with the server, learn c# and so forth!

P.S. Been in the community since 2004 and I am still learning!

Howdy!

Kita is right! I can tell you how I did my stuff, it will not work half of the time for you because of 8, 9, A reasons.

The only ones I can give you a straight answer are :
  • #2: Use Publish 57, this is the last one offering era validation
  • #6 None! If you are past "C# for dummies", check online there is a lot on C#.. Check also streamers, a lot of people are streaming C# and some are good enough to tech it.
"ServUO <what your are looking for>" on Google is usually how I find answers to fix issues I can provoke!

I find a lot of answers just reading people's questions in the Discord!

Heck I would take pinned messages that had some of what I am looking for. Ill hop on the discord and poke around.

1. It seems since the item still exists you could just try adding an xmlspawner or finding the existing item and modifying it as you wish.
2. ServUO I believe is focused on the newest content, you'll have to find a custom package or grab a copy of RunUO and dig up an old client or work on merging them.
3. Config files I guess? Back in the day you had to edit the scripts to plug "the basics" in like skill/stat caps, gain, etc. ServUO ported all of this into a bunch of easy to tweak config files.
4. That should still be done through the Freeze and Unfreeze commands but it's a pain. Basically you can Unfreeze a map's "items" but you probably won't see a different until you reload your client's maps off the server's copy. You can then manipulate and edit them, then Freeze the replacement and reupdate files. Once finalized, all players need a copy of the update information.
5. None, just start tweaking things!
6. The scripts, MSDN's documentation, the forums here, stackexchange are probably the first four things to hit up. Start super small, copy a creature file and give it a read. A little intuition will explain a chunk of it, and a little editing will confirm. Now crack up a creature that offers something extra, maybe one that drops special loot or breaths fire and see what code it adds. Then reference that to BaseCreature and/or Mobile to see hwy it adds that and how it achieves the effect. And just keep going.
7. [help gives you a list of commands, [helpinfo is great for explaining them. But [add, [remove, and [props are your main starters to add/remove/edit stuff.
8. Good news, it exists! [admin opens up your admin panel and there should be a tab that has most of the world generation buttons. This panel is also how you can manage accounts, kick/ban people, etc.
9. I mean, if they stuck with .NET 1.1 a thirty year old computer using Windows 98SE can run the server with sixty active people. Been there done that. Just update to handle the newest .NET and worry about things later.
10. Forums/Discord can get you started for free.
11. Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud, the computer the game is running on, etc.
12. It requires editing the client and providing the changes to players.
13. Great news, most of the tools are hosted here too! Getting them working may take some effort through, I think Pandora will immediately work with all the none-SA stuff right out of the box. That program helps a lot with adding items for decorations and teleporting around. But you have to download the .MULs for it to work with the rest of the item values (see their support section). I'm also a huge fan of UOArchitect, you can select entire areas with items and save them locally, allowing you to reupload and move them around. InsideUO/Fiddler or whatever also lets you see the assets such as the different animations, items, fonts, hues, and other such stuff. They may have Gump Editor here too, idk. That's a cool little program to help you design in-game menus. Landscaper also allows you to edit the maps, not just items/statics (aka frozen stuff). Oh there is so many tools, but they are like secondary stuff. Hop in game and experiment with the commands and work on some basic coding first and some of these tools will make more sense on why you'd want to use them and how.

There is also a Tutorial section here.
I hope some of this helped.

Thanks Peoharen. Some follow-up questions.

How do you add an xmlspawner?
Which file for the client do you modify to change the gump art work?

Back