No big difference. You'll have to change a bunch of stuff in both. I think RunUO wanted to work up to Mondain's Legacy, and ServUO wants to stay current to the official game.

Most scripts work almost completely interchangeably. RunUO is just not actively developed anymore. So you'll have to stay on top of the forums etc. if new exploits are found. Whereas ServUO is still in (mostly) active development.

I've been told so many things by so many people. I've been doing my best to sift the lies from partial reality.

Here's what I've gathered: RunUO 2.3 is the last rigorously tested version of RunUO. The version that is 2.5 that is currently available is not only not entirely Mark's work but is not well tested, if tested at all. There's literally problems that would not be problems at all if it were just tested once by the people who made it. Consider the bug I ran into with creatures attacking hidden players. That was the addition of "OnApproach" logic that didn't even bother to check "CanSee(m)" - it took a long time to find that, and in-fact was only found by accident by another person. It would have been so much easier for the person that added it to be like 'Oh, I just added that, that's the problem' - the problem is, the forks that are arising have no idea about any of these problems (until literally just recently as the first server to really use any of this successfully went from a population of 200 to 30-40 because of massive flaws in the code.) Now this doesn't necessarily mean anyone is at fault, but if you release software you claim to dev, you have to understand every single aspect of this software.

So, the real answer to your question is to start with 2.3, build it back up to 2.5 one step at a time, isolating bottlenecks and just horrible untested garbage, then begin assimilating aspects of ServUO you want in your project.

The current school of logic seems to be.. Pile as much untested software as possible in one spot so it looks like development. Which we really need to get away from.

I've been told so many things by so many people. I've been doing my best to sift the lies from partial reality.

Here's what I've gathered: RunUO 2.3 is the last rigorously tested version of RunUO. The version that is 2.5 that is currently available is not only not entirely Mark's work but is not well tested, if tested at all. There's literally problems that would not be problems at all if it were just tested once by the people who made it. Consider the bug I ran into with creatures attacking hidden players. That was the addition of "OnApproach" logic that didn't even bother to check "CanSee(m)" - it took a long time to find that, and in-fact was only found by accident by another person. It would have been so much easier for the person that added it to be like 'Oh, I just added that, that's the problem' - the problem is, the forks that are arising have no idea about any of these problems (until literally just recently as the first server to really use any of this successfully went from a population of 200 to 30-40 because of massive flaws in the code.) Now this doesn't necessarily mean anyone is at fault, but if you release software you claim to dev, you have to understand every single aspect of this software.

So, the real answer to your question is to start with 2.3, build it back up to 2.5 one step at a time, isolating bottlenecks and just horrible untested garbage, then begin assimilating aspects of ServUO you want in your project.

The current school of logic seems to be.. Pile as much untested software as possible in one spot so it looks like development. Which we really need to get away from.

Seems Microsoft did that with their Windows software for years. Just saying.

Back