Shards Online, for those of you who are not familiar with the project, is an indie sandbox mmo very much in the style of Ultima Online. From the top down isometric view to the open ended character development. The pre-alpha prototype had a very familiar feeling, I've never seen another game come this close to the UO experience.

The most exciting part of this project is that one of the primary goals is to provide players the means to create and run they own servers. With a set of tools that allows non technical people to customize various aspects of the game, to full on scripting that should allow us the same level of customization as seen on ServUO / RunUO. Not to mention the addition of new art resources, map creations and so on.

You can take a look at the Kickstarter page here :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468280928/shards-online-play-by-your-rules

The official site here :

http://shardsonline.com/

I have been following the Shards Online project since mid summer. Their initial proposal sounded great but I maintained a healthy dose of skepticism. The proof is in the pudding, when I had a chance to try their early pre-alpha I had a first look at what the dev team could do. They had the makings of a potential follow up to Ultima Online, I was convinced.

The team behind this project is really down to earth, it feels like they are following the dream, not the money. Not to mention that they are ex ultima online developers, that means they know their stuff. I would not be surprised if one of the inspirations for the Shards Online project was all of the player ran servers out there. The incredible set of creative game systems, story lines and world settings.

I firmly believe in the potential of this project, so I come before my fellow world builders and story crafters with a heart felt appeal to take a serious look at the Shards Online project. If you see the potential in their project seriously consider backing the project. The team behind this game really needs our help to make the vision of this mmo a reality.

Also if you have any questions / comments about this project please post away as a member of the shards team offered to answer questions and comments about the project.

Thank you for reading my long post :p

The kickstarter for Shards Online is entering the final few days. I would like to thank everyone who backed the project which is already funded and manged to reach 3 stretch goals. Including a perma death ruleset. If you haven't backed the project yet but were interested, time is running out. Getting alpha access means you will be able to run your own shards once the pre-alpha phase ends. If your lucky there might be a few pre-alpha admin spots left.

Back