Good day everyone,

I got a ServUO instance up and running last night, however I noticed two things, and wanted to see if anyone had any insight on either. I have an Ubuntu installation, and followed (with a few tweaks due to version) the tutorial here: https://www.servuo.com/tutorials/pr...-16-04-for-servuo-using-mono-and-unixodbc.27/

1) I have installed and set up MySQL, however I noticed that there appears to be no tables in the database, and hence no data. Is this expected?

2) More confusingly, the startup time of the server seems to be 30-40 minutes. Is that normal? It appears to be generating Felucca and Trammel each time, with the "reticulating splines" message. Fel takes about 5-6 minutes, Tram seems to take forever. Once the server starts up, it seems responsive (I was able to connect from another machine) but it seemed odd that it would have to regenerate things like that each startup - I can understand items and mobs, but this surprised me.

Thoughts?

The tram and fel generation is validating locations for Honesty items and treasure map locations. I asked about this, and was told it's necessary in case maps change, though validation still occurs once a random location is picked. Mine take 40 seconds, mas y menos, so I'm not sure what's taking yours so long. Sounds like a client issue.

Regarding the first question. Which data do you expect to be in the database?

ServUO does not use MySQL or MariaDB to do worldsaves or accounting etc. This is only being used for small services like MyRunUO or third party scripts for now.

@XeroX I'm not sure. There is quite a bit of work to set up the database and ODBC connector as outlined in the tutorial, so I didn't know what to expect. I was surprised when there was absolutely nothing - why set it up as part of the tutorial if it isn't used?

Regarding the startup time, I downloaded a 7.0.20.0 client dist, did a 'make clean' to get rid of the existing build artifacts and then ran make. Clearly something was wonky with the Trammel part of the build, as now at least it takes the same amount of time for Fel and Tram to generate, but still seems to be longer than what @Dexter_Lexia has seen. It is still ~6m for each of Fel and Tram, so it takes about 15m to start the server up.

I dont't know if it is worth trying to kill the install and start again from scratch, but with a Dual Xeon and 8G of RAM, I would have thought that the startup would have been a little faster.

@XeroX I'm not sure. There is quite a bit of work to set up the database and ODBC connector as outlined in the tutorial, so I didn't know what to expect. I was surprised when there was absolutely nothing - why set it up as part of the tutorial if it isn't used?

But I'm sure. With vanialla ServUO its only used for MyRunUO, thats it. Its up to you if you want to use it or not. MyRunUO saves some data of characters, guilds and online status in your database.

Sorry @XeroX, maybe I wasn't too clear - You had asked what I thought would be in there, and since this is my first time setting up a server, I honestly had no idea, other than the tutorial seemed to make it necessary to set up for the installation.

The tutorial did not mention MyRunUO, but upon further investigation I can see that that was an optional part, so now I understand - thanks.

@XeroX Do you have any insight as to why my server startup time is so slow? Is there something else I should do before recompiling that may have not worked correctly the first couple of times? Files to be deleted?

Actually startup can take upto 1 minute as of honesty generation. However in my experience this hugely depends on disk speed.

Last edited:
ironmike, my problem is close to yours. But i am not using DB. In my system (a core i3-4160 + Debian Stretch 64 bits + Mono 64 bits) "reticulating spines" take 7.4 minutes. In a VM running in the same system i have installed a Windows XP 32 bits plus NET Framework and it took only 45 seconds!!! I am making some tests yet, but i think that the problem is in Mono. I will try mono 32 bits since i am using 64.

My issue:
Server load time: "Reticulating spines"

And here, the user fwiffo recommended using Mono 32 bits:
ServUO on Ubuntu with MONO (#post-5489)

Yeah, I disabled the Honesty virtue, and it takes virtually no time at all. The problem is the Honesty item placement in Linux I am guessing

Back