So, I was going to keep this secret.. because I'm an asshole, but after I'm finished with my current obligations to a few people I'm going to start on a project that's pretty near to my heart. Now this isn't probably going to be for three months or so, but I'd like to get some feedback on it as I'm sure everyone will have different ideas..

So basically, the project is a Magic The Gathering style card-game inside the UO client via gumps. The creatures would be Ultima Online mobiles, the spells based on UO's, and so on.

Thoughts?

o_O *heart stops for an instant* I Effing love this idea...

I think a system like this, The cards would work like spells that when dbl clicked brings up a targeting hand and used on players only to challenge them with that certain monster to a duel as it were. I would think that the monsters contained in the cards cant gain skills the normal way. They would gain exp per fight depending on the other monsters level... Higher or Equal levels would gain certain exp and lower wouldn't gain so much because of the difficulty. and every level get some points to use to level them up to a point with special skills somehow.
And what i thinking for getting the cards, players would have to fight "Boss" monsters that drop the cards. one boss for every evil creature. from a Slime to an Ancient Wyrm. You wouldn't want to have to many crazy big monsters flooding the servers and PWNing everyone.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Interesting. So you're saying the cards should actually instantiate the mobile and make them fight?

Yeah. Could be a duel system that sends the fighters to a set area to fight. Have the mobiles at both ends of the arena and a 3 count down time"Speaking Signs"(zerodowned) then set them to attack each other. At the end they would gain the exp rewarded if any, and the mobs would be rezed and healed and put back in the card with the players sent back to the spot they initiated the fight.

I feel as if though real-time combat would be step away from what Magic is, but I do like the idea of having the cards summon an avatar of the creature. Perhaps a turn-based engagement.

I feel as if though real-time combat would be step away from what Magic is, but I do like the idea of having the cards summon an avatar of the creature. Perhaps a turn-based engagement.
kind of like battle chess when one piece destroys another

I can't figure out why people posting back to back to back bothers me so.

++In all seriousness Zero, is this a project you'd be interested in? It's going to be a community project (aka free).

So, I was going to keep this secret.. because I'm an asshole, but after I'm finished with my current obligations to a few people I'm going to start on a project that's pretty near to my heart. Now this isn't probably going to be for three months or so, but I'd like to get some feedback on it as I'm sure everyone will have different ideas..

So basically, the project is a Magic The Gathering style card-game inside the UO client via gumps. The creatures would be Ultima Online mobiles, the spells based on UO's, and so on.

Thoughts?
Off-hand, your first hurdle might be adding new custom gumps to the client. I don't think all of the tools for correctly reading and converting the new and old files have been updated. If you get a hold of an older client download, prior to 7.0.11, you wouldn't have any problems though.

This could also been done with attachments using XML, for the whole game and/or just to track win/loss/tie.

My intention was to use the Ultima Online monsters and give them atk/def like magic so we'd not need custom gumps. However, there is a third party that I believe is going to pursue the custom animation just because they enjoy it.

Like mongbat, 1/1 dragon, 20/20

*facepalm triple post*
sorry, juggling a baby and typing one handed

++In all seriousness Zero, is this a project you'd be interested in? It's going to be a community project (aka free).
I honestly don't know anything about Magic and have very little experience playing card games of that sort. So I wouldn't be the best person to take on such a project.

Not to mention I start a new job tomorrow so my schedule is going to be very different.

I have had the idea of turning UO into a card game for a very, very long time. Probably not magic the gathering style or pokemon. More along the lines of You have a hero and you gather cards to increase your abilities, powers, stats/skills. You travel across a board and fight other cards (monsters/npcs)
It would be really easy to pull off honestly just never had the time to sit down and code it out. The art would be a breeze.

I have had the idea of turning UO into a card game for a very, very long time. Probably not magic the gathering style or pokemon. More along the lines of You have a hero and you gather cards to increase your abilities, powers, stats/skills. You travel across a board and fight other cards (monsters/npcs)
It would be really easy to pull off honestly just never had the time to sit down and code it out. The art would be a breeze.

There was a very old card game from the good old D&D days that was almost exactly like that Hank. :)

Just an idea, but what about making this project outside the UO client ?
I mean, like a web based game ... For example.

I was wondering what was the added value to play the UO card game in game.

And as mentioned above, creating new Gumps might be an issue.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Oh and if you need help with rules for the card game, I play all sorts of these addictive games :p

Mainly because I've attempted to gather people from the uo emulation community for outside projects before, using unity, and it did not go so well.. I'd be all for it honestly. We'd definitely need the art under those circumstances and I'm not sure where to turn for that. Even my handwriting is horrid.

Back