ServUO Version
Publish Unknown
Ultima Expansion
Mondain's Legacy
Hello, all

I've recently tried finding copies of some old .mul (or .uop?) files which contain the specific versions of the facets, Trammel especially, from a time just prior to Stygian Abyss. As I develop out bits and pieces of my hobby-server, I've come to admit that I just don't know enough about the game's content after that point, and I'd like to ensure the facet files for these don't include extraneous bits and pieces I'm extra unaware of. (That giant Underworld entrance was a huge surprise to me, when I went for a little trip to fire island...)

So, my question is:
1. are the map#xLegacyMUL.uop files .uop copies of these older instances? Or are the old maps contained somewhere else in the distribution?
2. If not, is there a download location, here on ServUO.com or otherwise, that has the older versions for download?
3. are there any barriers to be aware of in acquiring those map/facet files?

Thank you for any advice or direction you can provide!
- PNG

I need to take some time to learn how to work with .uop files, I suppose, but both of those links do appear to have what I'm looking for!

I had skimmed over others asking about such conversions (uop->mul) while searching for the files, initially, so I know there are tutorials/articles about it. Not too worried, just going to take some time!

Thank you, MrRiots!

Well most programs today you can convert back and forth, UOFiddler has an uop to mul converter and vice versa.
Centred allows UOP for modding aswell.
But I believe 7.0.15 could be the client for you.

I'm still having a little trouble with all of this.
I've downloaded the latest version of UOFiddler, and have been swapping around files, reloading them, etc. It doesn't seem to be reading the right files, however.
At one point, I had it looking directly at all the newest files, SA+, and it was still showing me old, pre-Stygian Abyss maps. Not much faith in it, now. Or perhaps I'm just missing which files are which?

I'll look into 7.0.15, in case it has proper versions of the files I need, because the latest client (or at least the one I have) seems to be leveraging its facet#.mul and map#LegacyMul.uop files above all else. But, UOFiddler doesn't seem to give a hoot about those facet files at all, despite loading them in.

This is going to take me a while, it looks like...

You could go into fiddler and add the addon "Mulconverter"
Target your client file, for the newest client and unpack.
When the unpacking is done just reload fiddler and you will be able to view the latest files

I'm still having a little trouble with all of this.
I've downloaded the latest version of UOFiddler, and have been swapping around files, reloading them, etc. It doesn't seem to be reading the right files, however.
At one point, I had it looking directly at all the newest files, SA+, and it was still showing me old, pre-Stygian Abyss maps. Not much faith in it, now. Or perhaps I'm just missing which files are which?

I'll look into 7.0.15, in case it has proper versions of the files I need, because the latest client (or at least the one I have) seems to be leveraging its facet#.mul and map#LegacyMul.uop files above all else. But, UOFiddler doesn't seem to give a hoot about those facet files at all, despite loading them in.

This is going to take me a while, it looks like...
I think I don't understand. Do you want to load mul or uop files? what do you mean by facet? Map file or actual facet for cartography? What client are you using and what are you trying to do?

Starting v7 of the client so when SA was released uop files were added as a new format for uo files. In the beginning it was just some files later one most of them were converted to uop. In case of classic client it's just mul files packed into uop. Enchanced client has this native uop format but that is something completely different. UOFiddler will try to read maps and other files from uop over mul if both are present.

Maps were updated between versions so newer client doesn't have "old" maps anymore. You have to get older client to have older maps. Depending on version of your client you may need to resize the map to ML+ format and repack to uop.

I think I don't understand. Do you want to load mul or uop files? what do you mean by facet? Map file or actual facet for cartography? What client are you using and what are you trying to do?

Starting v7 of the client so when SA was released uop files were added as a new format for uo files. In the beginning it was just some files later one most of them were converted to uop. In case of classic client it's just mul files packed into uop. Enchanced client has this native uop format but that is something completely different. UOFiddler will try to read maps and other files from uop over mul if both are present.

Maps were updated between versions so newer client doesn't have "old" maps anymore. You have to get older client to have older maps. Depending on version of your client you may need to resize the map to ML+ format and repack to uop.

Still trying to wrap my head around it, myself. All I was hoping for was a pre-Stygian Abyss map#.mul (or equivalent) to load into a more modern server and client.

The client I use (Endless Journey) only has facet#.mul and map#legacymul.uop files. After stripping out all the other map files, it will run as expected.
I.E. - It literally does not need map#.mul files.
That has firmly stumped me. If it doesn't need map#.mul files, where is it deriving the base 'map' on which all the mobiles walk, items set, etc.?
Furthermore, UOFiddler's 'map' tab seems to only function with map#.mul files. When I take them out and reload all files, all I see is a black background with speckles of 'statics' over top of it. Nothing changes when removing map#legacy.uop or facet#.mul files.

So my confusion centered around: "How is the client loading in maps if it has no map#.mul files?"
which is why I assumed, possibly, that it was pulling it from the legacy.uop's... Or if I was really misunderstanding, the facet.muls?

However it's working, version inconsistencies are an even bigger hassle than just putting up a 'closed for construction' barrier around the parts I'm not planning to fuss with. I guess I was hoping this could be more easily done than all of this, but no dice! For now, I'm going to just keep pushing onward and ignoring the 'new' bits of the map I'm unfamiliar with.

If I get cheeky, maybe I'll download a map editing software and just pluck parts of Felucca's base map and overlay them in Trammel! I found a post on here that said that was do-able? :p
You could go into fiddler and add the addon "Mulconverter"
Target your client file, for the newest client and unpack.
When the unpacking is done just reload fiddler and you will be able to view the latest files
I have the same problem someone else on the forums had. Brand new download of UOFiddler, and neither the External Tools nor the Plugins managers are showing any addons available. I'll have to find that post, again, and see if their problem was my problem.

Still trying to wrap my head around it, myself. All I was hoping for was a pre-Stygian Abyss map#.mul (or equivalent) to load into a more modern server and client.

The client I use (Endless Journey) only has facet#.mul and map#legacymul.uop files. After stripping out all the other map files, it will run as expected.
I.E. - It literally does not need map#.mul files.
That has firmly stumped me. If it doesn't need map#.mul files, where is it deriving the base 'map' on which all the mobiles walk, items set, etc.?
Furthermore, UOFiddler's 'map' tab seems to only function with map#.mul files. When I take them out and reload all files, all I see is a black background with speckles of 'statics' over top of it. Nothing changes when removing map#legacy.uop or facet#.mul files.
Map is in either mapX.mul for older clients and in mapXlegacumul.uop for newer clients. If you want to load older map in newer client you have to convert mul to uop and make sure that the map has ML+ size if it's really old client map like less than v5.x then you probably have to resize map and statics index to be full ML+ size before repacking. UOFiddler tries to load whatever you have set in your path and reads uop and mul just fine. UOP has precedence over mul if both are present so check your path settings and adjust if needed.

15.11 GB folder on MEGA
I have these on mega pretty sure u will find one with what you need .

If not shoot me a pm with a time frame your wanting I think I still have a scrape of a collection of the earliest clients .

It's no worry. I have no specific time frame; I just was hoping this would be easier than it turned out to be. I've mostly enjoyed coding up new systems/changes, I wasn't really ready for this file-type, converting .mul to .uop shenanigans!
Map is in either mapX.mul for older clients and in mapXlegacumul.uop for newer clients. If you want to load older map in newer client you have to convert mul to uop and make sure that the map has ML+ size if it's really old client map like less than v5.x then you probably have to resize map and statics index to be full ML+ size before repacking. UOFiddler tries to load whatever you have set in your path and reads uop and mul just fine. UOP has precedence over mul if both are present so check your path settings and adjust if needed.
Understood.

As I've been going over, UOFiddler isn't, exactly, working out for me. Steps others have described to convert map files aren't exactly as I've experienced them.
Do you have any recommendations for other tools that can convert .mul to .uop (or back?) I've seen about and downloaded CentrED#, but no real tutorials on how it works.

Back