Hey everyone,
I have a weird issue ever since I took up the fight against the UDK map maker again. I patched a lot of custom land tiles into my art.mul using UOfiddler replacing some of the tiles I wont need (e.g. snow, acid, etc). After that I spent quite some time typing everything into the mapping tool, setting the transitions and so on. After that, I exported the TilesBrush.xml into my CED+ directory to be able to draw the changes in terrain comfortable. Most of the transitions are working fine (although some need a bit of tweaking in GIMP, I know), some of them though are giving me a hard time.

1540-11271.jpg

On the screenshots you can see some of the combinations are working fine. The three textures on the top don't really work with the others, but among themselves they seem to work fine. If I try to draw them on one of the other land tiles they are supposed to work with (since I defined the transition in the map maker), I get either a flickering square of 2*2 tiles or those weird "holes" you can see in the top right quadrant of the screenshot above. If it may be of any help i uploaded my TilesBrush.xml. CED+ is not throwing errors when I start it though.

I hope I made clear what my problem is... Did one of you ever come across this issue? I know the map maker and CED+ are still somewhat unfinished (sorry if that's wrong) but still it would be pretty nice to get the brushes working together properly.

Thanks in advance (and a bottle o' rum for the person to help me out of my misery)!

Klabauter

Attachments

• TilesBrush.xml
    24.7 KB · Views: 25
I'm probably totally wrong on this...but I had started making my own tiles/transitions and had the problem with the "Black Holes", and I think it had to do with tiles with the "Stretchable" flag. I think I had to not only make LandTiles but had to add comparable "Textures." I think they are used when tiles need to be stretched. Sorry I sound so vague, but it's been a while since I've messed with the maps, and even then I was just starting to learn. Hopefully this gives you a clue as to what is going on....good luck!

Hey Sorthious, thanks for the reply! I didn't even get to the point of setting flags for the tiles in the Tiledata.mul yet... What do you mean by "textures"? The settings in the map maker? I've done that.

In Fiddler there are Textures....I had to make Custom Textures that worked hand in hand with the LandTiles....I can't remember exactly, so I'm just giving my recollection. It was something to do with having to use "Stretchable" tiles....If the tile wasn't stretchable or you didn't have a Texture for that land tile....it displayed it as a black area instead. I can't even remember where I linked them..but was in the XML configs for the mapmaker i think....I was using UOLandscaper.

Alright, I'm gonna have a look into that. I accidentally overwrote the .mul I used, so I spent the evening patching everything again. I'll let you know if I make any progress. :)

Thanks!

Cool...I'm getting ready to start mapmaking again....If I come up with more definitive answers will give them...Also, I remember I had to adjust in RadarCol so appeared on minimap correctly....good luck! (^8

The black tiles would definitely be caused by a missing texture file corresponding to the land tiles.

If a land tile is placed "flat", with all surounding land tiles at the same z, the client/server will display the land (art.mul) file. If the tile "stretches", or in other words is next to a tile at a different z, the client/server uses the corresponding image from the textures mul. If that corrsponding image is null, it displays as black.

Ugh, thats not what I wanted to hear. I patched in almost 1000 new Landtiles yesterday and now I have to do the same again for the textures AND I have to add the Texture IDs to the Tiledata... *sigh* But yet thanks again for your help, m309. Help me out at least once more and I'll announce you "grandmaster of UO customisation"! :p

Word of advice, place the corresponding texture into the same file slot as its land tile. It makes doing the tiledata a LOT easier when its the same value.

I'll do my best to follow your advice. For all the others struggling with the implementation of landtiles I found this video created by the user Kaylum in the german UOworld forum. Although not everyone might understand what he's saying, it makes you grasp the basics of implementing land tiles.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

link to original thread: http://www.uoworld.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9469

I managed to get everything working as desired, except a fewincorrectly assigned tiles, but this will be easy enough to fix. I decided not to overwrite existing landtiles again and do everything from the ground up. Right before tile ID 10.000 there are about 7500 empty slots, so plenty of space for custom land tiles! As an interim result I can say that going through the map maker is something I would recommend for everyone who doesn't like to define the CED+ brushes through code in the TilesBrush.xml.

Thanks for your help everyone!

please report me any issue about mapmaker because it's a program of mine ^^.

I'm working on a graphic patch and i'm adding a lot of things they requested to me (map editing too).

However Mapmaker for CentrED+ brushes has only an issue about repeated indexes. If you don't have this problem, it works fine ^^.

Last edited:
Back