Ultima Adventures -  A community project to create a fun custom Server

Ultima Adventures - A community project to create a fun custom Server 1.10

No permission to download

Jae

Citizen
this is amazing TY...i have just recently bought a server n would like to use ur work with a tier'd system im creating......it wont fit on ur map i dont think because it brings a ton of changes to settings/items/monsters/stats..and really only i know n understand the system in my head :( ( and if your like me...giving another player balance control can be an issue hahaha )..but i will release it to the public when done in 2-3 months...but im alrdy reworking the tiers into sosaria so maybe 30 days ill actually open the server live while i finish rest of the worlds...ive basically used everything djervy and you n prevs devs have done to the map...
Post automatically merged:

i am also making seperate folders of my tier changes of items/monsters so when it does go public ppl can pick n choose their own options settings n can decide if tier'd system is for their map

Finaltwist

Squire
this is amazing TY...i have just recently bought a server n would like to use ur work with a tier'd system im creating......it wont fit on ur map i dont think because it brings a ton of changes to settings/items/monsters/stats..and really only i know n understand the system in my head :( ( and if your like me...giving another player balance control can be an issue hahaha )..but i will release it to the public when done in 2-3 months...but im alrdy reworking the tiers into sosaria so maybe 30 days ill actually open the server live while i finish rest of the worlds...ive basically used everything djervy and you n prevs devs have done to the map...

i am also making seperate folders of my tier changes of items/monsters so when it does go public ppl can pick n choose their own options settings n can decide if tier'd system is for their map

Let's talk! What do you mean by tiered system? What does it do?? Pm me if you want, if it works for UA we can arrange git access etc. :)

Jae

Citizen
i went over alot of your new release n ive actually decided to not use your fork :(,,,it has alot of kool things but alot of broken aspects like diminishing returns on too much( i can give a compelte list of thigns i didnot like and did if u like)but enough wasnt liked i pretty much have to use djervys map......my tier system is balanced with endless progression for a dev to continue onward without having to control a players magical properties. one of my biggest concerns is ur deed system u implamented for BoDs...it breaks everything....players can break past monsters too easily with it n very little effort with macroing crafting. so u had to create a diminishing return script...but u only slowed the process down it doesnt fix it :(.....so i ahve created a tier'd system that covers every aspect of balance////creatures/items/magic/deeds/artifacts...its all being reworked from tier o djeryv's work then tier1+ my work.so im not changing ne aspects of djeryv's map im only making it better.....i do plan to add a few github scripts u got like invasion but. there is no stat cap via magical properties for my server and it still 100% balanced. the problem with ur BoD system is that u only have 1 tier of deed so ur stuck using a scalar 1-20 points blah blah w/e.....that will screw u end game like it has.instead i took away deeds from crafters (cause all players can have all skills) and made them spawn off tier'd monsters.....but the trick was setting caps n max's for deeds.....here is an example

example=hitfireball deed........say u find a tier1 hit fireball deed it will add +1hitefireball to an item...now a player would think shit i find 100 of these im golden....but a tier 5 hitfireball will give +5...but that still isnt the trick...the trick to balance is max's n caps like i mentioned earlier....so for instance a tier'd deed 1-5 will give +1to +5% depending on the tier'd deed u using....but tiers 1-5 deeds only give max 25%...thats the trick...so if a player wanted to deed in more hitfireball% he would have to find deeds tier 6-10(which drop off tier 6-10 monsters) and tier 6-10 deeds would give the same 1-5% per tier type 6-10 BUT..it raises the max cap to be applied to 50% hitfireball...so u c a player would have to be in tier 20+ to max 100% a certain deed. thus i have controled n balanced his progression with the rest of the tier system

its too much to explain in one sitting hahahahahahha

my server will also have no rules for the most part....pvp happens its ultima :)

i cant script like you n green but i can balance stuff very well from DMing DnD since i was a little boy :)

Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
cool cool, we forked form odyssey as well - your system sounds like a "level" system (level 10 player, etc)? I think thats what you mean by tier?
Well good luck with that my friend, i look forward to seeing what you end up doing. I don't understand the 3 star review... kind of a low blow isn't it?

As an aside, JEDI have been added to the UA Server! Huzzah!

Jae

Citizen
my review is based off player experience and examing the script as a new moderator...was only being honest of whats there....and honestly the major issue is diminishing returns....but i notice in ur 1.08 update u added diminishing returns to armor resists but u upgraded custom ores resists? it seems u r working against urself and more n more each new update is being added to diminishing returns....now players sdi/wdi r now having diminishing returns aswell and breath reductions? have u thought maybe ur stat system n mobs u r using r unbalanced for each other? yet u take from the player rather then upgrade monsters......for that i gave a 3 star if not i would have given more because u guys have put alot of good work into the map..there r few kinor problems that can be looked past but diniminishing returns should have NEVER even been an option..but thats my opninion and 3/5 stars is decent just not amazing :(...P.S. if Diminishing returns is changed ever i will reveiw my 3 star rating...but till then....i cant give more stars in knowing the players are being dinimished for playing...even if you trick the player n code it to say 60 n not 200hp n still give 60hp rather then 200 then that works...but u cant have an item show 200 hp gain n a player only see's a 60hp change. he gonna know somethings up n lose interest cause numbers aint even adding up right in his gear.

Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
the server balancing has happened over months, and believe me it works. if you don't like a system i fully respect that. everyone has different playstyles. Im doing this for the UA server, nothing forces you to play it, and in fact i release everything i code and make it public so people like you can take it and do what you want with it.

Your rating doesn't mean much as you have not played the server at all, met the community and tried the issues on the server, thats why i think its a bit off-handed. anyways.. have fun buddy.

Last edited:

Jae

Citizen
i have actually about 24 hrs into the game ( your server) and i played and coded original Dawn pre Odyssey when it was first released to the public and i know whats standard n what u have changed....i donot wish to use your code but ty for the offer.....my reveiw was spot on for my opinion and im not the only one obviously....im prolly the only one to start saying something about it.you have accused me of knowing nothing n not even being on your server....atleast all my accusations was true facts. anyways goodluck wish u the best but dont think my review isnt solid.

Finaltwist

Squire
if you played for 24 hours i don't think you really got a chance to test how the diminishing returns affected balance my friend. It scales to make late game more of a challenge. The problem we were having was that after a month of playing some powergamers were god-like, where they had fully maxed suit, did 200+ damage, had the best pets around, etc.

The dynamic algo fixed this situation on the server, and has been tested for 4 months now (with many late game players on). it really works for late game.

Ill say it again, im happy more people are modding odyssey and look forward to what you will do.

Jae

Citizen
the reason for godlike players was due mainly to the BoD reward system u added alot of power to players and gave nothing to the monsters. try to amp up monsters to balance in accordance to players using deeds...if ur gonna keep the deed system u have no choice but to amp up or take from players. and taking from the player isnt true balance just a temporary fix.......i think ur server is very kool n neat and it would truly be amazing if u didnt restrict the player n let him get strong n adapt the creatures to ur deed system( also if a crafter life can get deeds shouldnt the adventurers life too?) and if u do that ur rlly gonna need monster amps.i had 1 item that gave 200 hp when i was working ur code...it gave me 61hp thats pretty bad considering my guy had no other items. 200hp in a peice of gear isnt alot for oddysey considering their r drops with 100hp on them (if u know of them) even a max of 10 hp on 1 item is 160+ hp due to 16+ equipment slots.so just by maxing my gear withonly 10 hp each im being penalized b4 i even hit my cap. its really unkool!

ive also done EVERY aspect of the game as far as content is concern'd for odyssey....so within 24 hrs i got a good idea of what was wrong with the server. also i spent a good week b4 i even jumped on the server trying to rework ur map to c if it would fit with my theme...almost but 1.08 broke it :(
so i understood alot of ur game/code b4 i even started playing......if u fix that damn diminishing returns ur golden....im only a small voice of player playstyles...u alrdy have a strong community.keep it up...most are happy with what it is :)

Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
i put you on ignore jae, i wish you the best personally. we're all entitled to have our own opinions.

that being said, a player managed to bring infected dragons to britain and infected the city last evening! :D :D
a new player joined and got instantly zombified, and other players came to help. fun adventures!

Djeryv

Squire
Angrily bashing my keyboard all over these forums!!!

I am not immune to bitching about things, but you have been here for a short time and every single post you made (except for 2 of them) have been highly combative. I get that the rating system is meant as a free speech area of personal opinion as well...so I guess I will exercise that myself here. First of all, your posts have really poor grammar which leads me to believe you are not from an English speaking country, and that perhaps there may be cultural difference amongst us that each other isn't fully aware of which could cause a misunderstanding on human interactions and what is appropriate and what is not.

You obviously came here because you played Odyssey at some point and wanted a little more in the game so you turned to Ultima Adventures for that extra content. You are basically looking for a fully fleshed out world where 98% of the work is already done for you so you can then add your custom systems. Apparently you dove into the code and didn't like what you saw. Ok. The appropriate action could have perhaps been that you simply move onto something else. That you would have thought to yourself, "hmmm...this isn't going to work so I will try another route". Instead you went our of your way to publicly vent about how this game sucks because you are not familiar enough with coding to bend it to your will. You brag about how great you are with game balance. Then create a UO game that incorporates your skills and vision into a well balanced game...because I can guarantee you will not find this perfection of balance with either Odyssey or Adventures. The reason is simple. Nobody in UO (official or freeshards) have yet to achieve this magical land of complete balance. It is hard enough in single players games, and nearly impossible for a skill based system like UO since you don't have character classes to narrow the focus.

I know Odyssey isn't balanced...but I did the best that I could. I don't know what Adventures added to the game or how balanced it is or isn't...but none of that ultimately matters. What I think matters is that people playing either of these 2 games are having fun with it. So instead of complaining about everything here at the forums, how about offering your own ideas, scripts, and worlds for something you think is worthwhile?

Jae

Citizen
ive actually been here for quite some time since u was calling it dawn...and u donot give urself enough credit djervy oddyssey itself is great...but UA has twisted itself since it first came out. and with recent updates..as diminishing returns isnt something old...its something the old community has to deal with now...and i made sure since i did rework his code...they knew about it. i found UA to be a knockoff (downgrade) from what u originally created djervy. and im not comparing UA to oddyssey.( but he does use the map )...his new update changes is what has started to destroy the server.my server uses one of your original odyssey maps....have no itnention of using twisteds stuff...friend of mine who plays his server asked me to use it for my server..i gave it a try found all the flaws i thought the community should know...and now im moving on to my project....but wouldnt i be a jerk if i didnt tell ppl about diminishing returns?

if there are better options/.......ppl wont know if ppl like me dont say something.and my posts are great for the new moderator thinking of using twwistds map...now he knows kinda what to expect. and what he is getting himself into b4 he attempts it. i thoguht thats what these forums were for? i gave his map 3/5 stars thats a decent game...but the more he takes from players more others r gonna feel same way...diminishing returns is new...watch them all jump off when they start seeing it.

Last edited:

Tempus

Citizen
ive actually been here for quite some time since u was calling it dawn...and u donot give urself enough credit djervy oddyssey itself is great...but UA has twisted itself since it first came out. and with recent updates..as diminishing returns isnt something old...its something the old community has to deal with now...and i made sure since i did rework his code...they knew about it. i found UA to be a knockoff (downgrade) from what u originally created djervy. and im not comparing UA to oddyssey.( but he does use the map )...his new update changes is what has started to destroy the server.my server uses one of your original odyssey maps....have no itnention of using twisteds stuff...friend of mine who plays his server asked me to use it for my server..i gave it a try found all the flaws i thought the community should know...and now im moving on to my project....but wouldnt i be a jerk if i didnt tell ppl about diminishing returns?

if there are better options/.......ppl wont know if ppl like me dont say something.and my posts are great for the new moderator thinking of using twwistds map...now he knows kinda what to expect. and what he is getting himself into b4 he attempts it. i thoguht thats what these forums were for? i gave his map 3/5 stars thats a decent game...but the more he takes from players more others r gonna feel same way...diminishing returns is new...watch them all jump off when they start seeing it.
Actually, you could have simply started a new thread and explained you were forking the codebase (you pick which one) to create a new version that incorporates features x,y and z and that these features are different than what the original codebase implements.

Look, I use the Odyssey codebase and have made a few minor changes to suit my single player gaming. No biggie. I don't play on Twisted's shard or codebase because his changes are intended to incorporate more multiplayer elements that simply do not work in my limited single player playstyle. I may not agree with how he implemented those on his server but I'd never call him out as doing it wrong. Its his project and he is fully entitled to make whatever changes to whatever system he wants. If his players are having fun, well, that's all that counts.

So go branch the code, make your version and promote it. Don't just come here just to point out things you don't like. That serves no one.

Djeryv

Squire
but wouldnt i be a jerk if i didnt tell ppl about diminishing returns? if there are better options/.......ppl wont know if ppl like me dont say something.
Fair enough...and you wouldn't be a jerk if you didn't say anything. It is just your presentation can be seen as rude and relentless (and not just this thread either). You describe diminishing returns...and I will confess that I sorta get it, but I also saw these elements in a patch note here. Maybe Adventures messed up on a change here or maybe it was intentional. It was your primary focus though. Your review covers this one topic (minus the copy and past rant from another review to tack on). So was everything with this game great except for this one element that bothered you? Someone commented that Odyssey wasn't good but Adventures was great because they could kill the guards. This single statement leads me to believe that the only thing that person deems important is guard killing. Did they think that the rest of Odyssey was great but the fact I didn't let them kill guards make it a crappy game? I don't know. They saw it as a flaw but it was an intentional design decision on my part. You had an opportunity to get involved in the Adventures community and perhaps help with this issue if it is truly seen as an issue with the majority...but that ship has saled on both sides.

Finaltwist

Squire
Djeryv, just want to nod to you and your work. odyssey has been what made learning c# fun, and i swear it kept me sane during the covid lockdown we had here where i live. thanks for that!

Djeryv

Squire
his changes are intended to incorporate more multiplayer elements that simply do not work in my limited single player playstyle.
This is actually a good and simple articulation of the differences. Odyssey assumes a single player game with maybe a couple of others like a open world Baldur's Gate type experience. Adventures is putting the MMORPG back into it with their ideas and systems...and the fact they run a public server.
Djeryv, just want to nod to you and your work. odyssey has been what made learning c# fun, and i swear it kept me sane during the covid lockdown we had here where i live. thanks for that!
No kidding on the lockdowns. Those first 2 months were horrible but I went back to work after that. During those two months is when I redecorated all of the cities because I was sooooo bored.

Finaltwist

Squire
So go branch the code, make your version and promote it. Don't just come here just to point out things you don't like. That serves no one.

Aye, I make everything i do available to anyone. It wouldn't be fair for me to have taken Odyssey's code, made a few changes, and kept it to myself. Everything ive done is available for people to look at, take and change if they want to. The harvesters system for example - allows for area control and resource gathering while offline. Hopefully someone one day finds it useful and makes it better.

I just don't have the time to package everything individually, so its a big package that anyone can dissect.

Jae

Citizen
my scripts n world will be made public soon...i think UA is a decent game but i donot feel as if diminishing returns is good...(mainly i have friends that play UA n feel like defending them idk) but i will say going through ur code twisted i have used some of it to forge my server so TY....if i seem combative i apologize...i feel strongly that players shouldnt be taken from n its your way of doing things not mine, if u ever need a balance idea or nething feel free to msg me if i can help. but my intention wasnt to degrade UA because it is a good game. and when if ever diminishign returns gets fixed or coded so the player doesnot c it...i will GLADLY change my review because UA is a good game.

Tempus

Citizen
Aye, I make everything i do available to anyone. It wouldn't be fair for me to have taken Odyssey's code, made a few changes, and kept it to myself. Everything ive done is available for people to look at, take and change if they want to. The harvesters system for example - allows for area control and resource gathering while offline. Hopefully someone one day finds it useful and makes it better.

I just don't have the time to package everything individually, so its a big package that anyone can dissect.
I never said you didn't. Not sure why you posted that. I was defending what you did...

Jae

Citizen
i think he was using it as a reference to let ppl know they can use his fork n branch out themselves :p