Ultima Adventures -  Community modded fork Ultima Odyssey

Ultima Adventures - Community modded fork Ultima Odyssey 1.06

No permission to download

Finaltwist

Squire
Finaltwist submitted a new resource:

UO Odyssey fork - evolving the world - uo odyssey runuo

A few players of UO Odyssey by Djeryv have started modifying the world, and in an attempt not to take over that excellent resource with parallel discussion, we are starting a new fork of the world. Anyone who wants to post improvements/changes to UO odyssey can post here.

My current fork of the world can be found on this dropbox folder :)

changelog to come, there are many changes!

The original Odyssey is needed to take advantage of the changes, which can be found here https://www.servuo.com/archive/ultima-odyssey.1117/

In order to start a new game of the fork:

1. download the original odyssey server and client
2. delete the scripts folder
3. move everything in the fork archive into the UO folder, and overwrite everything
4. copy all the files in the /FILES/ folder and copy that into the client folder, overwrite.
5. you should be good!

Read more about this resource...
Post automatically merged:

okay, @Gadget2013 posted this in the other thread - we are trying to figure out how to publish and update the world without breaking people's save folder

C#:
Ok, one of the things you can do is:
[spawngen save - to save all the premiumspawners to Spawns.map
[spawngen remove - to delete all the premiumspawners in the entire world
[spawngen Spawns.map - to load all the premiumspawners from Spawns.map again

I will try this Gadget, did it work for you?

Last edited:
Yes, it did work for me :) It respawned the entire world's PremiumSpawners without affecting anything else, it seems.

And nice job starting this new resource, I think this is the proper way to go so that we don't overwhelm the original thread with our largely experimental modifications :) Hopefully our posts from the original thread can be moved here by the mod, if possible - that'll make our developments a little bit more structured and also separate, thus less confusing :)

Finaltwist

Squire
yeah.. i guess i need to write a changelog to tell people how it differs from the original... ugh. so much to do so little time... and i'm supposed to be working too :D

thanks for the instructions on the premiumspawners, ill get that done right away. another thing that needs to be changed is the dialogue options for the cities... change trinsic to montor for example... i lost your (or harryberry?) edits to citizens, were you incorporating citizens and townsperson? you'd need to edit the meeting spot item

Hehe, no pressure there, feel free to do it when you have some time :) It is, after all, meant to be a fun hobby after all, not a pressing kind of work :)

Finaltwist

Squire
man i spent all day yesterday, a solid 10 hours, debugging and working on scripts. this is FUN :)
i'll be working on the baseconvo system, maybe editting a few cities so they are relevant to odyssey.

did the spawn save /delete/spawns.map and it worked! I'm updating the main uo file to reflect the changes...

noticed that the guards talk now too? i'm curious, how do you move your chracter around due to having to replace the saves folder?

That sounds like a good idea!:) I'll continue my experiments and testing tomorrow, Will see if I can figure out some more spawning tweaks for town NPCs

Finaltwist

Squire
I'm thinking of taking out the buy/sell vendor context menu. would force people to talk to the vendors "Emily buy" or "vendor buy". seems more in line with that i remember UO to be... context menus make it so you don't have to talk to anyone...

I don't yet migrate the character from build to build, I'm using the admin character to run tests and check out the areas and stuff, as well as experiment with different scripts and settings :) sadly, I don't think moving a player mobile from one save to another would be an easy task to do, if possible at all...

Finaltwist

Squire
Djeryv sees it. He's cool with it. It's unintended, but still awesome. Here are your friends Djeryv. Lets make it worth all the hours you poured in.

I actually thought Wizardtim was djeryv for a bit! That's why i thought forking to another thread was a good idea. I don't want to step on any toes and i don't think anyone else does either. Can't please everyone.

Well like ive said many times, i admire and am thankful for djeryv's work. we have added some truly amazing scripts to the world thus far - and even if it doesn't fit in everyone's worldview, it really adds to the flavor of the world. the animal broker is my best friend now, and i love the new recall penalty. makes complete thematic sense and isn't too bad (when it happens, i lose 0.8 of a skill or two no more).

I always wanted my character to have unlimited skill cap, but i also want to add a system whereby you "forgot" skills that you didn't use often. so if you had GM smith, and didnt forge anything in a while, your skill would lower from where you left off. The recall/gate/death penalty does that now.

Djeryv

Squire
WizardTim is just an 80's CRPG gamer who has been playing this since Dawn of Ultima. I made a post letting the mods know to close the thread.

You guys could simply call it something else like "Ultima Adventures" or "Ultima Worlds". You should come up with your own name/label for it. Odyssey Forked sounds lame. Your name doesn't need the words "Ultima", "Odyssey", or "Djeryv" in it. Although I do encourage the word "Ultima" because it is packed with Ultima lore and play elements.

If you feel the need to give me credit in some way, just put a bulletin board in the tavern with my contribution or something. If someone gives you shit about claiming Djeryv credit...just point them to this thread and tell them to bite you.

Giving it a label of your own lets new players better know what game they want to play. Where some want to play Ultima Odyssey, others may like someone else's Ultima Adventures or Ultima Nights because it also has x, y, and z and removed 1, 2, and 3.

Lastly, for your own sanity, try to figure out how to do updates without removing the SAVES folder. Your players will be way less pissed off about it.

Wanderer

Citizen
We have enjoyed this work since those days too. If it sucked, we would not be having this exchange today. What you created is good, we're just trying to perfect it further.

Good to hear from you! I mean it!

Finaltwist

Squire
WizardTim is just an 80's CRPG gamer who has been playing this since Dawn of Ultima. I made a post letting the mods know to close the thread.

You guys could simply call it something else like "Ultima Adventures" or "Ultima Worlds". You should come up with your own name/label for it. Odyssey Forked sounds lame. Your name doesn't need the words "Ultima", "Odyssey", or "Djeryv" in it. Although I do encourage the word "Ultima" because it is packed with Ultima lore and play elements.

If you feel the need to give me credit in some way, just put a bulletin board in the tavern with my contribution or something. If someone gives you shit about claiming Djeryv credit...just point them to this thread and tell them to bite you.

Giving it a label of your own lets new players better know what game they want to play. Where some want to play Ultima Odyssey, others may like someone else's Ultima Adventures or Ultima Nights because it also has x, y, and z and removed 1, 2, and 3.

Lastly, for your own sanity, try to figure out how to do updates without removing the SAVES folder. Your players will be way less pissed off about it.

That was certainly the intention - i mean giving you credit for the work you put in. I appreciate you being okay with us making edits to the server.

As far as being "lame", don't really care.

As far as pissing off players - well it would be nice to figure it out for anyone who wants to use this version but then again i'm doing this for myself foremost. I'm teaching myself c# gradually in the process which is really the point.

Not sure what thread you want to close, this one or odyssey?
*edit - will certainly put a bulletin board - you deserve credit for what you have done.

im just working on trying to get the vendors to "listen" to players again. no idea why everything switched to context menus - now that the vendors talk back it makes sense to call them by name and say "John buy" instead of clicking on a context menu. why was it taken out?

Wanderer

Citizen
Not lame at all Final. Keep at it. Closing the thread or muting you is simply vanity. I hope this community is not that far gone.

And all that can contribute, please do so. It's not my fun, it's our fun. Don't be dicks you all.

Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
Hmm, well i'll rename the resource to anything if that's the issue. had enough drama to be honest, just want to get along!

Wanderer

Citizen
Yeah, I think the stone of humility got lost somewhere along the way.
And Djeryv, this effort is not opposed to your work. It legitimizes it. Do what's right.

Last edited:
@Finaltwist: I think making the vendors respond to "vendor buy" / "vendor sell" or "Name buy/sell" should be straightforward enough, you'd just need to hook the relevant keywords in the speech routine and make them call the relevant vendor methods that open the trade window. Not sure if completely disabling the context menu is a good idea, it might confuse some of the players, personally I'd probably see it more as an option (you can click if you want, or you can talk if you want), but of course, it's up to you which approach to take :)

And today I came up with a small patch to the Henchman functions - you know how henchmen will sometimes randomly yell and say stuff as they fight? To randomize that a bit, I hooked up an extra case to the relevant functions so that a henchman has a small chance of uttering one of the 42 emotes at random. To accomplish that, I edited HenchmanFunctions.cs and added this line at positions 47, 55, and 63:

C#:
case 15: new ESound( from, Utility.Random( 1, 42 ) ); break;

If you want a higher chance of that happening, you can add it to a few extra cases, e.g.:
C#:
case 15:
case 16:
case 17:
    new ESound( from, Utility.Random( 1, 42 ) );
    break;

It's a minor thing, but personally I found it somewhat satisfying :D

Djeryv

Squire
Not sure what thread you want to close, this one or odyssey?
Sorry...I meant the original Odyssey post. It will encourage people to start their own mods under a different umbrella with their unique characteristics. I didn't plan on sticking around again...but this corona crap can really bring out the boredom.

I worked a little bit more on my single player Player Vendor mod, this version is now better at handling the item names both when announcing the sale and when advertising with no player-made description given, it'll now use the actual fully qualified item name, like Dull Copper Katana of Such-and-Such, etc. :) Other than that, this version is largely the same. A tiny bug was fixed, but that's about it.

Attachments

• PlayerVendor.cs
    80.5 KB · Views: 4